Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aiming Point Question

RickT

Trying to encourage my local match to use aiming points and reread the rules which I now realize don't require a 2' high aiming point (AP):  anything from ground level to 2' is deemed acceptable.  It's reasonable that the 10' requirement ensures a level of safety should the competitor have an ND at the buzzer, but if a 2' AP is in use should be RO require the competitor aim at the top of the AP or is any point from ground level to the top acceptable?  Seems for consistency sake an AP placed at ground level 15' out would be very close to the top of a 2' AP placed at 10'.  Not trying to split hairs, but a 2' difference in AP does affect the draw.

22 minutes ago, RickT said:

Trying to encourage my local match to use aiming points and reread the rules which I now realize don't require a 2' high aiming point (AP):  anything from ground level to 2' is deemed acceptable.  It's reasonable that the 10' requirement ensures a level of safety should the competitor have an ND at the buzzer, but if a 2' AP is in use should be RO require the competitor aim at the top of the AP or is any point from ground level to the top acceptable?  Seems for consistency sake an AP placed at ground level 15' out would be very close to the top of a 2' AP placed at 10'.  Not trying to split hairs, but a 2' difference in AP does affect the draw.

You are WAY overthinking it.  And no it doesn't affect it.  And no RO should EVER be that picky.  Read my post on the first plate shooting, and it will make more sense, but anyone who knows Steel Challenge 101 isn't even directly aiming perfectly at any "aim point."  They are using peripheral at best because they leave their eyes on the first plate and move the gun to the aim point semi-blindly.  On it is good.  And any RO requiring more needs a discussion from the match director.  WAY overthinking it.  If they aren't using anything at all, then that could probably be fixed.  But outside of that, you got other things to concern yourself with

Edited by Hammer002