Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faint line on 9mm brass

Aggrofish

If this was rifle I’d say I was going to have case head seperation, but this is at the bullet end and I’m assuming is a mark from the bullet itself?  Maybe I’m seeing this after a couple firings? The inside is smooth and a paper clip won’t catch on it. Throw em out or normal?

8ADC3C69-AD20-4715-9F12-117D40FA80F2.jpeg

Have been seeing this for a while . This is from range pick up not one of my guns.Thought it might be from a miss adjusted LFCD but OP says no. 

So next would be a chamber issue . After sizing and loading I have seen no Issues .   BUT   When in doubt through it out!

Thanks. Its possible it's not my brass. I try to pick up only my brass, but sometimes I will just grab 9mm cases without looking for the torched / burned titegroup marks lol. Mine is usually really easy to spot but it's been 100 degrees out so...

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

What kind of gun?

I thing I’ve seen those marks from Walthers chambers. 

I only own one Walhter and it's a PPS M2 that I carry, it's not that. I've been shooting mostly the 320 x-5 lately

7 hours ago, Farmer said:

Almost looks like a bullet stop ring for 115g bullets. I would load em & shoot em. Seat a bullet past that ring and see if it bulges. 

It’s not dotted line they generally are. Looks like a line from a crimp but left after the fact. 

6 hours ago, gng4life said:

Does the line on the outside have a slight "hump" to it? Or is it a scar or score into the brass? I was betting on the bullet seating ring but not sure from the pics. Let us know.

no hump. Could be from a previous crimp, but it’s not on all cases. All my rounds are tapered to .375 for the last 7 or 8k. 

2 hours ago, Aggrofish said:

no hump. Could be from a previous crimp, but it’s not on all cases. All my rounds are tapered to .375 for the last 7 or 8k. 

Okay, gun Sig 320, and yet the ring appears after you have shot the round? If this is correct then it has to be a chamber issue.

If the ring is there after reloading then it's a die issue, but that's very strange and I personally don't know any 9mm dies which will leave an indented ring/collar. 

Crimps don't really leave rings.

As I and others have written some chambers are stepped, however your sizing  die should smooth them out in the reloading process. Did you say this was from range brass?  Which would indicate you're picking up someone else's  brass. 

Oh these odd problems, enough to make us pull our hair out. Of course some don't have much hair to tug on.

Edited by HesedTech

28 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Okay, gun Sig 320, and yet the ring appears after you have shot the round? If this is correct then it has to be a chamber issue.

If the ring is there after reloading then it's a die issue, but that's very strange and I personally don't know any 9mm dies which will leave an indented ring/collar. 

Crimps don't really leave rings.

As I and others have written some chambers are stepped, however your sizing  die should smooth them out in the reloading process. Did you say this was from range brass?  Which would indicate you're picking up someone else's  brass. 

Oh these odd problems, enough to make us pull our hair out. Of course some don't have much hair to tug on.

That's the problem I'm not sure if it's my brass or not. I usually go out once a week and shoot about 200 rounds of pistol. If I'm shooting in one of the outdoor bays there's a lot of other brass laying around. If I'm shooting in one of the covered ranges it has a concrete floor and everything I sweep up is my brass. After tumbling I find a few of these and I'm sure several have made their way into the case feeder. None of my loaded rounds have any issues. I was just curious and the line reminds me of the ring you get on rifle brass at the head before you start getting case head separation. 

If I catch em I throw them out.

28 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I have 2 Walther PPQ 9mm pistols and they both have stepped chambers. They produce brass that looks exactly like that.  I have been reloading those for 4 years now with no issues. Most sizing dies will not remove,but it is not a problem. I use a Udie and it takes it out.

27 minutes ago, mstewart said:

I have 2 Walther PPQ 9mm pistols and they both have stepped chambers. They produce brass that looks exactly like that.  I have been reloading those for 4 years now with no issues. Most sizing dies will not remove,but it is not a problem. I use a Udie and it takes it out.

I'll run a few through the sizing die to see.

3 hours ago, mstewart said:

Same here.

10 hours ago, Aggrofish said:

If I catch em I throw them out.

I get it about rifle brass, but it’s highly likely it’s pickup range brass. I reloaded many similar brass and like others, have found they smooth right out with the Dillon or Lee sizing dies. Honestly you will have more reloading issues with CBC brass than these ridges.  

I think the general consensus is, load away it’s a non-issue. 

Enjoy!

5 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I get it about rifle brass, but it’s highly likely it’s pickup range brass. I reloaded many similar brass and like others, have found they smooth right out with the Dillon or Lee sizing dies. Honestly you will have more reloading issues with CBC brass than these ridges.  

I think the general consensus is, load away it’s a non-issue. 

Enjoy!

Seems like it. I recently switched to wet tumbling and all the brass is so damned clean I’m noticing a lot more. I’ve probably loaded tons of them without even knowing.