Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is causing this bulging with 147 gr?

dspring

You need to load a little bit longer check this illustration showing what a heavier/longer bullet do to the case when it seated deep. This illustration also compares how deep a bullet goes into the case using different weight bullet seated to the same OAL.

AqEIWkY.jpg

I got this illustration courtesy of Wobbly in the CZ forum.

My recent experience with range pick up brass tells me it may not be the bullets or the dies. I would mic everything from where your bulge is to the diameter of the brass you are trying to reload. With so many people shooting 9mm Major it's easy to pick up brass that is way out of spec. I had brass that when loaded would not plunk no matter how I tried to load it. I finally found the small percentage of cases that would not plunk measured .390 just ahead of the web. Check your cases that won't plunk to see if you have discovered the same problem.

I must be unusually lucky, I've never had a problem loading 147gr bullets at 1.08ish on my 650 while only using Dillon dies.

If the PD bullets are that much of a hassle it would be cheaper (and wiser) to just change bullets.

P.S. Your barrel(s) and magazine(s) are the only gauges you should be concerned about. Always determine the max OAL for a given barrel/magazine/bullet combo. You should ignore any advice which suggests lengthening that round past its verified max OAL.

Edited by 4n2t0

until you get into the 1.175+ range or separate certain head stamps out your bulge will continue. 

now you may not be able to load that long. The length given is for  a 2011.I load this bullet for a few guys.

The length given is what it takes for mixed range brass. CBC for example will still fail a case gauge but work

in there guns.As 4n2to has said at some point it may be best  for you to not use this bullet.

Edited by AHI

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to thank everybody for their suggestions and input on my request. I have taken  two steps recommended by some

1) increased OAL 1.150 minimum. this decreased the problem but did not eliminate it.

2) purchased a Hornady seating die (no crimping)

These two steps seem to have eliminated the issue in a speedy economical way and for that I am very grateful.

Really like the Hornady tool-free adjustment knob by the way clearly superior.