Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1050 troubles; 9mm loading is not going smoothly.

My RL1050 suddenly developed two issues just before Dillon closed for the weekend.  The press is currently set up for 9mm.

Background:  no equipment or die changes or upgrades since the last reloading session.  I disassembled and cleaned everything thoroughly, including the priming system and primer punch "lifter".  The problems developed when I set up the press to load 9mm.   *The problems are apparent only when the toolhead is installed.  Without it, the press functions smoothly.*

Problem 1:  The primer punch system seems to get momentarily stuck on the way down after seating the primer.  I can hear a sudden snap as the primer punch returns to the down position  I believe it is somehow getting hung up inside it's hole on the primer shuttle because when I remove the primer shuttle, the snap is gone.  I'm loading 9mm.

Problem 2:  This one started right after disassembly and thorough cleaning.  When a case is resized on station 1 or expanded on station 2, and the toolhead is on the way up, then just before the case exits the die, I hear a "groaning sound", like a stuck case in a sizing die.   This happens regardless of which sizing die I use, and I tested 2 previously well performing 9mm sizing dies.  To make sure the case is not getting stuck in a die, I lubricated it inside and out, but the sound remained, so I don't think it's the sound of the brass getting stuck in the dies.  I'm loading 9mm.

Any ideas where to look for problems?

Edited by Gilligan

I don't have a 1050 but it sounds like the screws holding the platform to the ram may have loosened and thrown off the timing. Also make sure that the shell plate bolt is tightened correctly. 

I load on two older RL1050's

make sure your shell plate isn't too tight and very the timing on the primer mechanism on the backside of the unit is correct 

Edited by Underwood