Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 929

Footlong

If you want Major PF loads in a S&W get a 627. 

If you're worried about picking up loose 9mm rounds after a match and fear a 9 Major just don't pick up loose rounds.

I make it a hard edict, I never pick up loaded rounds from the ground.  The only caveat is if I KNOW it was my round and I'm dead certain I saw it fall to that point.  A reload might be safe in one gun and dangerous in another.

If you reload 9mm major ammo for an Open gun, it would be wise to use 1) specific bullet for major (JHP's are the most accurate and work best in Open anyway) and 2) use a specific case for Revolver (if you match up your moon clips with a specific case it will work best).  But being as all your 9mm Revolver rounds will be moon clipped it shouldn't be too hard to keep them separated.

Edited by pskys2

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 2:33 AM, MWP said:

No. 

Why not? 

If you load Xtreme 165 grain bullets you can push them to 1020 using N320 (per their website load data), doing the math on my head, that should put you right at or over major. 

That being said ... you can also push them under 800 and have a very light minor. I am pushing 160 grains at 820, and ordered 165 Xtreme to try them at 790-800. 

Edited by Pnut

12 minutes ago, Pnut said:

Why not? 

If you load Xtreme 165 grain bullets you can push them to 1020 using N320 (per their website load data), doing the math on my head, that should put you right at or over major. 

That doesn’t me a gun can handle it.🤔

929 is a standard 9mm gun. They are all proofed to quite a bit of over-pressure, but that is to ensure they can handle variations in the loads and even some pretty bad one-off events. It doesn't mean they are designed for the steady diet of over-pressure rounds. 

As a general rule, unless a gun is purposefully built for 9mm major, just don't do it.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:24 AM, Footlong said:

Can the Smith 929 handle 9mm major loads?

Thanks

Chris

I removed the Ti cylinder and replaced it with a SS cylinder from a 627 and it'll handle .357, so... 

It was not a simple swap either.  However, it wasn't something that the average fellow couldn't do with proper tools.  

I wouldn't try 9mm Major in the Ti cylinder, but I can't back that up with any calcs right now.  

If you're looking for a major 929, I think it'd be the way to go.  When I swapped my cylinders, folks wanted the Ti cylinders, so you might break even - even if you need to pay a gunsmith sort of guy to do the work.

10 minutes ago, Justin M said:

I removed the Ti cylinder and replaced it with a SS cylinder from a 627 and it'll handle .357, so... 

It was not a simple swap either.  However, it wasn't something that the average fellow couldn't do with proper tools.  

I wouldn't try 9mm Major in the Ti cylinder, but I can't back that up with any calcs right now.  

If you're looking for a major 929, I think it'd be the way to go.  When I swapped my cylinders, folks wanted the Ti cylinders, so you might break even - even if you need to pay a gunsmith sort of guy to do the work.

I have a cracked 929 cylinder if anyone needs to see that it won’t handle major. 

13 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Were you shooting it on purpose?

Some open major ammo got mixed into my practice ammo. That’s what I get for having someone help with my ammo. 

It wasn’t an extremely hot load either, 168-169 from a DVC. 

I don’t think titanium is the best choice for high pressure loads. I know there’s 327s and plenty of other factory magnums with titanium cylinders, but none that handle pressure like 9 major. 

19 hours ago, MWP said:

Some open major ammo got mixed into my practice ammo. That’s what I get for having someone help with my ammo. 

It wasn’t an extremely hot load either, 168-169 from a DVC. 

I don’t think titanium is the best choice for high pressure loads. I know there’s 327s and plenty of other factory magnums with titanium cylinders, but none that handle pressure like 9 major. 

Some Major 9 can reach 60,000 psi I've been told.  Heck 38 super major loads were over 40,000.  357 magnum is under 45,000 psi.

2 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

Did you mean empirical evidence or expensive evidence?

Not sure the cost yet. But when I find out I’ll let everyone know. 

I’ve been too busy getting a new carbon fiber guy that I haven’t gutted that broken gun to mail in yet. 

Edited by MWP
Spelling

Good morning guys.

I hope you are all well and trying to live with this crazy time.

why shoot major in anything, just shoot all "A"'s, its a waste of time and the destruction of your arm and firearm to try to shoot major.

SHOOT " A " 's all the time as fast as you can.

Just saying.

Be safe out there.

J. Russell Bryan

Canadian, AP / IPSC / USPSA / PPC / and anything else fun.