Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Numbering on DAA powder click knob

I recently bought a v2 DAA click knob for my powder measure, and I keep confusing myself because the numbering is backwards (picture 1, from DAA's website), where bigger numbers mean a lower charge.. But in the installation video, the numbering is correct (picture 2). And to make things even more confusing, the same product on the Shooters Connection site has the correct numbering, opposite from what I received and from the product pictures on DAA's website. What's going on here? Does anyone else have one of these, and if so, which way do the numbers go?

DAA listing: https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-click-adjustable-powder-knob-v2

Shooters Connection listing: https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/DAA-Click-Adjustable-Powder-knob-V2-P5650.aspx

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 4.04.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 3.51.11 PM.png

The one I have is like the top pic.  The same as on DAA web sight. For version 2.

The lower is version 1?

Edited by AHI

1 hour ago, AHI said:

The one I have is like the top pic.  The same as on DAA web sight. For version 2.

The lower is version 1.

The strange thing is that the second pic is from Saul's video, where he shows how to install the version 2 knob.

I heard back from Alpha Dynamics USA and they confirmed that the numbering was initially counter-clockwise (correct) but European customers complained (???) and wanted clockwise numbering, so they reversed it. Armanov's click-knob had the same issue, but they revised it, at least for American customers. 

Anyway, Alpha Dynamics graciously offered to let me return it for a refund, but I declined since it works well and it's cheaper than the Armanov. It still confuses me sometimes, but I'm learning to ignore the numbers when making small adjustments. They're still useful as reference points in my log book for switching between charges.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 11:14 AM, slowhands said:

I heard back from Alpha Dynamics USA and they confirmed that the numbering was initially counter-clockwise (correct) but European customers complained (???) and wanted clockwise numbering, so they reversed it. Armanov's click-knob had the same issue, but they revised it, at least for American customers. 

Anyway, Alpha Dynamics graciously offered to let me return it for a refund, but I declined since it works well and it's cheaper than the Armanov. It still confuses me sometimes, but I'm learning to ignore the numbers when making small adjustments. They're still useful as reference points in my log book for switching between charges.

Holy crap!   I just put one on my 1050. It is as confusing as it can be.  I was thinking "on what planet would you decrease the number to increase the powder amount".  Maybe the correct statement should be  "on what continent would you decrease the number to increase the powder amount"! 

IMO, a VERY big FAIL on Alpha's part to make that change.   It is a beautiful piece of work and design ruined by this change. 

• 8 months later...

I bought 2 of them last fall with about $500 of other stuff . Just started loading for this summer's matches and noticed the problem. Called them to get a replacement and they told me they wouldn't be replacing their inventory until they got rid of what they had. They want me to pay for shipping to send them back to them and because it's past the 30 days they'll only give me a store credit. " I guess they got rid of a couple more". They probably should rename their company to the academy of dyslexia.

On 4/19/2021 at 4:49 PM, ROCKY338 said:

I bought 2 of them last fall with about $500 of other stuff . Just started loading for this summer's matches and noticed the problem. Called them to get a replacement and they told me they wouldn't be replacing their inventory until they got rid of what they had. They want me to pay for shipping to send them back to them and because it's past the 30 days they'll only give me a store credit. " I guess they got rid of a couple more". They probably should rename their company to the academy of dyslexia.

Not sure I see the issue. One style reads the amount of powder you are decreasing by while the other would read the number you are increasing it by. In the end however, the numbers do not correspond to the number of grains or tenths of a grain, unless a particular powder happens to meter out that way. Either way, it's meant for a numerical reference point and nothing more, so either way works.

As for getting bent out of shape because you ignored their terms of service and expect them to bend to your will, just go ahead and run around the internet and post your complaints. Let your post serve as a reminder for people to never sell you anything, ever. And you might want to change your name to Rocky Procrastinator. 

Guys - The answer on this one is simple - One is for the left handed reloaders in the world and the other one is for the right handed reloaders in the world. 
OR

One is for the left eye dominant reloaders and the other one is for the right eye dominant reloaders.....

🤪↩️↪️😂

I guess I am not as sharp as some. When I try to increase my powder charge, I keep moving the DAA dial to a larger your number.

When I weight the charge its less. Oh, I forgot to look at the arrow, to increase the charge, you have to rotate the dial to a smaller number.   I would think even a purchasing agent at GM buying toilet paper could  see an issue with it. OSHA would "See the issue" with that dial, especially on the powder bar.

I read there terms of service, and it said nothing in regards to retuning products that they F'd up. Hopefully they will update them. Tom, please let me donate them

to you, it sounds like they would complement your reloading equipment!

Rocky Procrastinator

I have Armanov knobs and always look for the arrow direction ( - or +), never look at the numbering. Always weigh the charge, though...want more, I go towards the + direction, want less, I go towards - direction.