Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Humor I Think

Quag

I am amazed after 5 years reloading how many self induced "fu&k ups I initiate. I have to learned to laugh or cry at my foibles. The last one was a good one.  Since I have no one to share it with that would understand the humor of this incident I thought I would share it here so I can be laughed at and justifiably ridiculed. I had a bunch of 223 rounds that did not pass my match OC test. I decided I wanted to recover the powder and bullets so I started going the pain in the ass bullet puller hammer chore (which I hate doing). I'm in my garage. I have one of those sealed grey floors that has black flakes in it. So I insert the first 223 round in the bullet puller and whack it on the garage floor. And bang! I fall off my chair and immediately check myself for holes. Pulse rate was through the roof. I look at the bullet puller expecting it to be blown apart by the round going off. But it is intact. However I smell that tell tale odor in the air of ingnition. I look carefully around the floor and I see a black spot where the hammer hit. I had whacked a primer that was face up and it went off. I got a broom and swept the floor and there it was dust, dirt and about 3-4 unused primers that had escaped my reloading bench. What a dumb ass. I will be sweeping up after every session.

years ago i was reloading on my 550 and right at down stroke there is a huge bang.  same thing, check fingers, check drawers, deaf, etc.  turns out it was my double garage door spring deciding to break.  great timing.

I had a pretty rough one about a week ago. Had a primer jam under the shell plate of my Mark 7 press, but I didn’t know it was a primer until later. Shell plate was jammed so bad I couldn’t remove the shell plate nut to take it off, so I had to hammer the shell plate back to a spot where the root cause could be moved out. 

Naturally I didn’t stop to think that this had to be a live primer and started hammering with a punch. BANG. 

I’d taken my eye pro off and wasn’t wearing ear pro. The ringing didn’t go away for a few days. 

• 1 month later...

No ignition just frustration with mine. Was going to load my Lee hand primer and had set a tray of primers on the bench. I had dropped the sleeve on the floor so bent over to pick it up, slipped and grabbed the open tray of primers dumping them onto the floor. Ok, (insert profanity here) set the tray/flipper on my stool and carefully picked them all up putting them into the tray. Found them all without too much fondling, stood up, caught the edge of the seat with my knee and it spun like a pinwheel  spraying them everywhere again! (Insert loud extreme profanity here!) I went and mowed the lawn.......

Edited by Farmer

18 minutes ago, Farmer said:

No ignition just frustration with mine. Was going to load my Lee hand primer and had set a tray of primers on the bench. I had dropped the sleeve on the floor so bent over to pick it up, slipped and grabbed the open tray of primers dumping them onto the floor. Ok, (insert profanity here) set the tray/flipper on my stool and carefully picked them all up putting them into the tray. Found them all without too much fondling, stood up, caught the edge of the seat with my knee and it spun like a pinwheel  spraying them everywhere again! (Insert loud extreme profanity here!) I went and mowed the lawn.......

I have done almost the exact same thing. Dumped the primers into the flip tray, went to set it down, hit the side of the bench, and dumped them all...

almost filled a primer tube.  had one primer in a corner of the tray I use.  set tube down so I had a free hand to chase the thing off the wall.

picked the tube up and heard that special zip the tube unloading makes...  I stood still for a while.

mowing the lawn is good advice.