Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Bullets 125g 9mm Questions

ZOSO

Hi all.  I have been loading Berry's and RMR 124g plated bullets with W231 powder.  My OAL is 1.126 and my width at the crimped case mouth is .382.  I use 4.6g for a full power load and 4.2g for a softer load.  I have not loaded 9mm coated led bullets before, but I just purchased some Blue Bullets 125g RN, and I have a couple of questions.  I loaded a couple of Blues without powder.  Without touching my dies in my Dillon SDB, the Blues are coming out at a 1.113 length, even though the Blue bullets are .013 longer than the RMRs (.600 v .587).  The width is .381.

Question1: Do you see any problem with the shorter OAL for the Blues?

Question2: The Hodgon book recommends a starting load of 3.6 with a max of load of 4.2, which is obviously much lower than the plated bullets I have been loading.  I am interested in hearing experiences  with starting, soft, and full power loads.  I am shooing a Sig X5 Legion and a Glock 34.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Frank A.

1 hour ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I load my 135RN BlueBullets to 1.11 for my gen 5 G34 and they work great. As far as loading 231 in 9mm, I have no experience.

Blues don’t make 135 rn

7 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Blues will push faster than Berry’s. 3.4 tg at2.130 u be golden

2.130  that's a long 9mm bullet.  I think you mean 1.130

As for the op, whenever you create a new load, I would test the load with a chrono and do the plunk test on you gun/gun(s).  You can create one load to work both guns.

Edited by stick

I load the 125 blue RN at 1.080" for a gen 5 17, don't use 231 I use sport pistol, 3.8gr gets me 132PF. I had to bump back to 1.080" to get them to plunk test 100% in the gen 5 barrel.

17 hours ago, stick said:

2.130  that's a long 9mm bullet.  I think you mean 1.130

As for the op, whenever you create a new load, I would test the load with a chrono and do the plunk test on you gun/gun(s).  You can create one load to work both guns.

That’s what I meant. I drink a lot at night

• 3 weeks later...

This is also what happened to me. My normal Berry’s 124gr RN is loaded at 1.120 OAL, with 3.80 gr of TG.

I just got my order of Blue Bullet 125gr RN in yesterday and when I loaded two without any powder they measured at 1.105 OAL.

I dropped the charge down to 3.60 gr and loaded up 100 rounds. I hope to chrono them this afternoon and then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without changing any of the current settings on my press, here is a comparison between Berry's 124 gr RN, and TheBlueBullet 125 gr RN (size .356). The different bullet shapes create a different OAL, and the Blues are faster. I will also add that the Blues at this OAL "seem" to feed MUCH smoother than the Berry's at 1.120".

I started looking at coated bullets because of the cost/availability of the Berry's. So far, after one range session I am impressed with the Blues. I also have some Precision 125gr RN bullets on the way, and I'll load a batch without changing my press and chrono those as well.

If the coated bullets continue to perform well over a case or two, I will abandon copper plated bullets altogether.

-Cuz

4a234c9f7e3550b0afe2cae19c700517.jpg

On 7/2/2020 at 8:17 PM, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I load my 135RN BlueBullets to 1.11 for my gen 5 G34 and they work great. As far as loading 231 in 9mm, I have no experience.

Are you using a stock Glock barrel? I have a friend with a 19 and need to know if the blues will work OK. Thanks in advance. I know I'm fine with a 1911 in 9mm.

Edited by Bobkoh

Without changing any of the current settings on my press, here is a comparison between Berry's 124 gr RN, and TheBlueBullet 125 gr RN (size .356). The different bullet shapes create a different OAL, and the Blues are faster. I will also add that the Blues at this OAL "seem" to feed MUCH smoother than the Berry's at 1.120".

I started looking at coated bullets because of the cost/availability of the Berry's. So far, after one range session I am impressed with the Blues. I also have some Precision 125gr RN bullets on the way, and I'll load a batch without changing my press and chrono those as well.

If the coated bullets continue to perform well over a case or two, I will abandon copper plated bullets altogether.

-Cuz

4a234c9f7e3550b0afe2cae19c700517.jpg

So I got to shoot these two loads today in a G17 and G34. I did some group shooting from a rest at about 40 ft. The Berry’s were a good deal more accurate than the Blues. But, based in info from other threads it could be my fault. I am using a Lee FCD which is probably set too tight, and I may not be belling the case mouth enough. Problem is I like this Berry load for plate shooting so I think I’ll just load up the last couple thousand that I have before switching over to the Blue and Precision coated. Once I’m out of copper plated I’ll swap out the Lee FCD and focus on getting an accurate, reliable setup with the coated bullets.