Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to a match via airplane. How do you get your ammo there?

only 300? 

Fly with it.

Most airline restrictions with ammo are based on WEIGHT, not qty. 

Must be packed in factory, or hardshell cases ( like the dillon 100 round ammo cases ) 

I not 100% sure anyone actually weights it.  Not sure what actually happens in the bowels of the airport sans TSA/CBSA except they could care less if you get your bags with your guns until the next flight ....😠

Edited by MikeyScuba

1 hour ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Which is why it's best to travel with your wife and two kids = 44 lbs of ammo if they weigh it.

Travel with my wife and two kids? Umm, I'm going to the match to have fun, not have a brain aneurysm :)

I've flown with ammo and shipped it.  I've found shipping to be simpler and less stressful.  I just de moon the remaining ammo and put it in the 100  Dillon boxes and bring them home.  Empty brass is left mooned and placed back into the 30 individual slot "arts and crafts" containers they arrived in.   I just make sure I pack lightly enough to bring home the mooned empty brass in their homes.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

Should be able to fly with about 400 rounds. Seems I weighed 40 ammo once for this reason.
When they ask about ammo immediately say, under 11lbs worth in factory boxes. ( save or scrounge empty boxes for this.)
I have also shipped ammo to X girlfriends in various places. Hey I tell ya it pays to not burn bridges.. 

On 7/3/2020 at 7:13 AM, Joe4d said:

Should be able to fly with about 400 rounds. Seems I weighed 40 ammo once for this reason.
When they ask about ammo immediately say, under 11lbs worth in factory boxes. ( save or scrounge empty boxes for this.)
I have also shipped ammo to X girlfriends in various places. Hey I tell ya it pays to not burn bridges.. 

If you use a printer to make labels for the 50 or 100 round plastic Dillon/MTM/etc ammo boxes the airlines will accept this as factory boxes.  

57 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

If you use a printer to make labels for the 50 or 100 round plastic Dillon/MTM/etc ammo boxes the airlines will accept this as factory boxes.  

I've flown to alot of matches over the past 8 years or so, I've never had an issue using the regular Dillon / MTM hardshell cases. (With no labels ) 

I fly to a lot of shotgun matches with factory ammo. 100 rounds of 12ga is right around 11 pounds.

I never tell the gate agent I have ammo, so far so good. It's a non issue, but it's factory ammo. I just ordered the MTM boxes, thanks

• 1 year later...

Most airlines allow you to take 11lbs (in ammo boxes) in your checked baggage. If your ammo weighs more, ship it by Fed-X or UPS to the match location. This is an easy issue to solve.

Ship it if you can.  UPS does a good job.  You'll be able to track it and know its there.  Showing up at the airport and hoping the airline and TSA don't mess with you is more stress than you need, and if they do, now you're in trouble.

As mentioned above depends on the airline.  Southwest is great.  They allow 11lbs, must be in separate hard case(s) not in magazines.  I think you could actually get away with shipping more than 11 pounds, and have discussed this with many that do on a regular basis.  But you never know when you get a stickler for the rules, then what do you do with the excess ammo.  I have also heard some ship more ammo in another suitcase.  They indicated they did not lock that suitcase or declare the ammo in that luggage. Not sure what the rules are in regards to that.

The whole system is strange.  Each airline has their own rules, then you have to abide by the TSA rules, who seem to be the one "enforcing" the airline rules.  Let us face it, just about every gate agent has zero idea what their own airline rules are other than the steps the airline requires the agent to do before sending the luggage on its way.  Does the TSA agent know what each airline rule is in regards to shipping ammo?  Do they even look to see what airline the gun will be flying on?  Like I said the whole system is weird.

23 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I'm the OP here. Since I posted this I've flown three times, all with checked in ammo.

No problems, no need to ship it.

Thanks guys

So, I'm guessing all airlines pretty much still frown on doing dry fire practice on the plane?