Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You don’t ever “clean” your barrel?!

Silverscooby27

I have never cleaned the barrels of any of my guns. I read somewhere that if you use powder coated bullets, you want to run FMJ every once in a while to clear it out but other than that, no cleaning. I do however still clean the feed ramp, around the chamber, and the compensator every once in a while.

I rarely deep clean my pistol barrels.  I do clean the chamber and feed ramp really well.  Rifles on the other hand are a totally different animal!  Accuracy suffers drastically when rifles get heavy copper fouling.

Never brush the bore of any barrels. Only ones I deep clean are rifles that sit except for deer season. I feel if you use them regular they stay clean. I had this debate years ago. Me and a friend both shot production with xdm 5.25. Both had same about of rounds down the barrel. I shot lubed lead he shot jacketed. I never cleaned mine he scrubbed his after every match. When pulled down mine was shiny his was dirty. I’ve never looked back since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Older manufacturing processes left voids and grooves in the barrel that would cause drastic leading (especially with older, inconsistent hardness lead ammo - or modern Remington lead garbage) and actually lead to failure of barrels if they weren’t cleaned.

Newer manufacturing processes don’t, at least not that I’ve seen.

Ever heard of Schuemann barrels? For good reason they were a standard for many years in custom builds. . .rifles and pistols. Many say barrels ain't rocket science, but it just so happens that Scheumann actually was formerly a rocket scientist, so his thoughts carried/carry considerable weight. The attached summarizes his thought on cleaning. 

http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Documentation/Webfile_Barrel_Cleaning.pdf

I was so damned relieved to discover this a hundred years ago because I HATED cleaning pistol barrels. They just never seemed to be restored to like-new brilliance no matter what I did. After being exposed to his wisdom I quit the tired old routine of trying to get my guns bores looking pristine. Note his comments on firing jacketed rounds to 'clean out' lead residue. Read it and decide for yourself, but I quit cleaning barrels long ago with NO ill effect. **

**The only exception I have found is that polygonal rifling (not just GLOCKs) benefit from cleaning if gunked-up with lead residue. Ignore that and you could be holding a pistol-caliber hand grenade. 

On 7/2/2020 at 2:48 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

Is there anyone who never cleans the barrel in their open gun? No boresnake, no brush, no patches, no nothin’?

Nope. Never. Over 85K thru my 38SC and abt 10K thru my new 9MM. Only shoot CMJ or JHP.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

Is there anyone who never cleans the barrel in their open gun? No boresnake, no brush, no patches, no nothin’?

Sorry these are not in order, 

pic 4 then 2-1-and 3rd pic is last, I think. Smh 

49478F2F-028A-4937-8F16-C0F11E8D1122.jpeg

7C557B24-0B28-4B4E-8765-8CD2433EFC3C.jpeg

Edited by a matt

Schuemann was a bright guy, but he was not always right.  And his barrels were not without problems.  Part of the reason he came out with the timing test kit is because there were so many failures.  And not all those were due to improper fitting.  On the cleaning issue, inappropriate tools and methods can easily damage a barrel, particularly the crown.  But I just don't understand the argument for not cleaning at all.  Having said that, I never use brushes in any of my barrels.  Just patches and solvent, and maybe a bore snake.  Although I certainly have OCD tendencies with a lot of things, barrel cleaning isn't one of them.

To each his own.  I was only offering the information. I’ll add everyone has comments and they believe they know best but I prefer to listen to the manufacture. Most might think they know what’s best for their products. When I get new guns I’ll need to choose a different barrel as Sheumann has taken a leave of absence and it’s been a while now 👍🏼

Edited by a matt