Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 ceiling height clearance..?

So I have an XL750 + goodies on the way and wondering what guys' opinions are on height/clearance needed over the top? I ordered the case feeder + strong mount, but not sure I have the clearance for both (I'm keeping the case feeder if I have to choose).

Was planning on a 36" tall bench, but am actually going to buy/build a new bench so I might be able to buy/build one at a different height... but in the area I was planning on setting up, my ceiling height is only like 7 feet (84.5" splitting hairs)...

Dillon's site says the press + case feeder is 38.5", and the 650/750 strong mount I ordered is 6.75". So I'd be looking at 81.25" if I use the mount and stick with a 36" height bench leaving me with a whopping 3.25" of clearance over the press to the ceiling.....

Is about 3" clearance over the top going to be enough to be practical???

Should I plan on not using the mount?

Thanks.

3”,  I wouldn’t,  how are you getting the brass in there,  plus there’s no way to charge out the feed plates without removing the case feeder from the press

i have a 650 and cut the case feeder mount and clear plastic case feed tube down around 4” to allow me to look into it, plus change out plates without using a stool. I could have gone shorter, but was worried if I cut it down too much, it would interfere with the powder measure

That's not nearly enough.  I have 12" and it's snug to change the shell plate in the case feeder.  I wouldn't want any less. 

My ceiling height is also 7' and the desk I have my XL 650 bolted to with a 650/750 strong mount is 31" to the top.  The press complete with shell feeder and strong mount measures 41" tall so 84"-31"-41"= 12" clearance.    You are going to need a shorter work bench, a higher ceiling or, as mentioned, forgo the strong mount.  I vote for a lower bench as the strong mount also mounts several worthwhile accessories like the bullet tray and tool holder.

I also looked at what it would take to cut down the case feeder bracket and shell feed tube but I wouldn't want to get into that as a project.  

50 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I also looked at what it would take to cut down the case feeder bracket and shell feed tube but I wouldn't want to get into that as a project.  

Very easy to do. That’s what I did.

Thanks guys. I think I’m just going to skip the strong mount and maybe modify/shorten the case feed mount/tube if I have to... I’m not too concerned about a bullet tray because I decided to go whole hog and just buy the Mr. Bulletfeeder too right from the jump because figured I’m going to end up with one, might as well be sooner rather than later (as an aside Double Alpha has 15% off for their Independence Day sale with code “4JULY20” which is what put me over the edge on just getting the MBF), and I don’t plan to change shell plates for a long while... I don’t shoot many other calibers besides 9mm in any huge volume so that isn’t really a big deal for me.

Though, thinking I’m going to probably have to find a scoop, like for an ice machine or something, to pour in cases and bullets... because I’m going to be working with only 7” in clearance unless I do some cutting and modding... which looks like I might be doing....

9 hours ago, ck1 said:

Thanks guys. I think I’m just going to skip the strong mount and maybe modify/shorten the case feed mount/tube if I have to... I’m not too concerned about a bullet tray because I decided to go whole hog and just buy the Mr. Bulletfeeder too right from the jump because figured I’m going to end up with one, might as well be sooner rather than later....

Depending on how the MBF collator is mounted you may want to rethink shortening the case feeder height.  The videos I've seen show the collator mounted on the side of the Dillon case feeder and changing its height may interfere with how the bullets are dropped and fed.

Again, does your bench have to be that high?

17 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Depending on how the MBF collator is mounted you may want to rethink shortening the case feeder height.  The videos I've seen show the collator mounted on the side of the Dillon case feeder and changing its height may interfere with how the bullets are dropped and fed.

Again, does your bench have to be that high?

I lowered mine 2” and the MBF still worked fine if I slid it back just a little

I may go with a lower bench, but I’d rather stay at 36” if I can just deal with not having much clearance... Standard desk height is 30”, but I kinda feel like going that low will have a lot of draw backs as a “workbench” in order to get another 6”.

I ordered an Inline Fabrication Ergo handle, so maybe with that installed a lower bench might work... won’t be able to tell until the press shows up and that’ll probably be another 3-4 weeks, was hoping to get my bench situated before it shows up, but I might be stuck on pause until I get it and see...

Just an idea, and not ideal, but in the interest of thinking outside the box, what if I were to try mounting the press to something like this (keeping my workbench separate)..? 

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inch-heavy-duty-tool-stand-95128.html

Edited by ck1

It’ll wobble and shake if not mounted to a solid heavy bench that’s mounted to the wall. Depending on how bad it gets you will have primers flipping, Casefeeder and bullet feeder issues etc.

Press needs to be as close to motionless as possible for best performance

So I mounted my 550 on a large piece of particle board I had and clamped the front down on a desk and stacked my extra bullets up behind it and it's rock solid for me. I'll eventually build a dedicated bench but haven't had time.

After thinking about it, I think I’ll be ok using a normal 36” height bench... it’s just going to be a question about whether if I can use the strong mount or not..? And this is only because I’m not worried about changing the case feeder shell plate.

Thing is, I keep finding all kinds of different measurements out there on the actual height of a 750/650 + case feeder + “650/750-only” strong mount (6ish inch version, NOT the 8ish inch version)..? 

From Dillon’s site they say 45”, but above SteelCityShooter said his measured at 41”, and I’ve found various different measurements all over the internet.....?

If it’s 41” I’ll have 7” clearance using the strong mount, which will probably suck and obviously not be great, but is doable, and having the strong mount might be a little better on my back when running the press. If it’s 45”, then the strong mount will be a no-go, but I should be ok on clearance for my needs.

Edited by ck1

You could put t track into the bench and mount the press on a board that would secure to the bench with the t track. 

That way if you had to mess with the casefeeder you could just pull down the press. Could also use t nuts if you wanted a cheaper options. I mount a vice to my workbench with t nuts and it's rock solid.

This might help you.  I have a 650XL with strong mount and Case feeder.  I have attached a picture for reference.  My bench is 34" high.  It measures just over 75"  My ceilings are 8'  I was holding the phone and the tape measure, so the angle looks like I have 7' ceilings.  From my experiences, I think you'll be ok with 7' ceilings if you drop your bench to 34"  You'll have room to add cases to the case feeder.

dillon_2.jpg

dillon_1.jpg

5 hours ago, stick said:

This might help you.  I have a 650XL with strong mount and Case feeder.  I have attached a picture for reference.  My bench is 34" high.  It measures just over 75"  My ceilings are 8'  I was holding the phone and the tape measure, so the angle looks like I have 7' ceilings.  From my experiences, I think you'll be ok with 7' ceilings if you drop your bench to 34"  You'll have room to add cases to the case feeder.

dillon_2.jpg

dillon_1.jpg

Thanks! This helps a lot!

Is that the regular 8" strong mount or the shorter 650/750-only 6ish" version..?

1 hour ago, AHI said:

this may help     https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/ultramounts/products/micro-ultramount-4-riser

Suggest you wait till you have press in hand .  temporary clamp it to a board  and try a few different heights.

Cool, this helps too. Missed that when I was ordering some other Inline Fab stuff... Thanks.

14 hours ago, ck1 said:

Thing is, I keep finding all kinds of different measurements out there on the actual height of a 750/650 + case feeder + “650/750-only” strong mount (6ish inch version, NOT the 8ish inch version)..? 

From Dillon’s site they say 45”, but above SteelCityShooter said his measured at 41”, and I’ve found various different measurements all over the internet.....?

If it’s 41” I’ll have 7” clearance using the strong mount, which will probably suck and obviously not be great, but is doable, and having the strong mount might be a little better on my back when running the press. If it’s 45”, then the strong mount will be a no-go, but I should be ok on clearance for my needs.

My measured 41" height above the bench top is based on the shorter 650/750 Strong Mount so the higher mount would increase the overall height by a couple of inches.   Also, my 650 was purchased in 2008 and I know Dillon has reconfigured the shell feeder hopper since then and that may have an effect on total height.

I certainly agree with AHI, have the press available and see what you can use before buying or building anything else.  

Thanks guys, your input has been very helpful. 

Think I've got my issues worked out due to finding the right bench and a "Plan B"... 

First, found a heavy duty 6ft workbench at Sam's for cheaper than I could probably build a decent one for... and it's height adjustable in 1.5" increments from 28.5"-42". So, I'll be able to raise/lower the whole bench (with press) to as high as I can get away with or as low as needed if I decide to use the strong mount.

Second, decided I'm going to put the press in a small office I have in my house that's already for all intent and purpose my "gun room", and I should be way better off on height since it has 8-foot ceilings!

I really wanted to put the press in my garage, but after thinking it over a bunch and trying to find a suitable workaround for the height/clearance issue; at the end of the day, I guess I just don't have the "right" garage for it. My house is a full-remodel/redesign done not even 2 years ago, and while everything was completely redone and is now very modern, some of it's 1960's-era building dimensions show up here and there (like the 7-foot ceiling height in the attached garage). The garage is really small by todays standards, and I've been planning on adding a pole-barn or steel building on the property for that reason. The press/reloading room will just have to live in the house until I add one.

Plus, that said, Tennessee weather is all over the place and can be pretty brutal (hot/humid in the summer, cold and rainy in the winter), and while my garage is nicer than a lot of them, it's not on central-air/heat like the office... I think the press, me, and my soon-to-be-made ammo will be much happier in the office 🤪