Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SRO 1 moa?

abigger04

Has anyone used the Trijicon SRO 1 moa for uspsa?  I'm curious how it compares to the 2.5 moa or 5 moa dot.  I understand that the 1 moa is smaller, but I'm wondering how effective it is for uspsa.

One and two MOA dots have to be dazzlingly bright to pick up quickly on white steel in bright sunlight.  IMO, their only use is for precision shooting.  The 2.5 on my DPPs does bloom at full power, but it is bright enough to pick up.  I run the SRO 5 MOA on my Open guns, 6 MOA RTS2s on some others, and 8 MOA FF#s on four others.  I run a 12 MOA dot on the PCC for steel challenge.  I think an 8 would have been a better choice. 

Right now I like the 5 MOA SRO better than anything else I have except for the tube dots for bullseye.  I'm planning on replacing the 2 MOA dot on my RFRO gun to a 5 MOA SRO.

Edited by zzt

I was talking with a guy this past weekend who has several size SRO and he says his favorite MOA for USPSA is 5MOA.  He let me check out the 2.5 and 5 MOA and the 2.5 had more bloom and effected my astigmatism more than the 5MOA.  I can only imagine what the 1MOA is like.

for competitve use 1 MOA or 2.5 MOA won't do the trick, they can work but you'll be limiting yourself to issues with brightness, blooming effects, etc.  SRO in 5.0 MOA is the ticket, 1 or 2.5 aren't worth the investment unless of course you're shooting indoors than that's a totally different story... 

I run a 3 moa Romeo3 XL on my primary and a 2 MOA 510c on my backup. I like the finer dots for stages with longer shots on partials/no-shoots, and can bloom it up a little for hoser stages. That being said, I would probably not go down to 1MOA for a pistol optic. 

17 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

for competitve use 1 MOA or 2.5 MOA won't do the trick, they can work but you'll be limiting yourself to issues with brightness, blooming effects, etc.  SRO in 5.0 MOA is the ticket, 1 or 2.5 aren't worth the investment unless of course you're shooting indoors than that's a totally different story... 

While some people might not find it ideal, I don't think you can really say definitively that 2.5 MOA won't be good enough considering Max Leograndis has won PCC championships over and over again using the Holosun 510C.

I have a bunch of 510Cs and like them. That said, my Swarovski Z8i's dot is about 7 or 8 MOA at 1x magnification, and I don't feel like it is too big. The 5-6 MOA of the SRO and Romeo 3 Max/XL is probably the perfect sweet spot.

6 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

While some people might not find it ideal, I don't think you can really say definitively that 2.5 MOA won't be good enough considering Max Leograndis has won PCC championships over and over again using the Holosun 510C.

I have a bunch of 510Cs and like them. That said, my Swarovski Z8i's dot is about 7 or 8 MOA at 1x magnification, and I don't feel like it is too big. The 5-6 MOA of the SRO and Romeo 3 Max/XL is probably the perfect sweet spot.

The 2.5 is not perfect, but its doable for sure...  I do find that the SRO 5 MOA is a better option from my own personal experience.  Also, it all boils down to personal preference too~  Some prefer smaller dots, while others prefer bigger ones.  😉