Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" Limited Gun Recoil Springs?

konkapot

Got a 6 inch limited gun. Has a 6 inch guiderod. 

1. Standard 5 inch springs are too short? Is this correct?

2. Assuming #2 above I bought some trimmable Wolff recoil springs. They are mixed poundages; I trim them to fit the gun and shoot the snot out of the thing. I then repeat the process. 

Gun works fine but am not sure if this is the correct approach. 

1 minute ago, konkapot said:

2. Assuming #2 above I bought some trimmable Wolff recoil springs. They are mixed poundages; I trim them to fit the gun and shoot the snot out of the thing. I then repeat the process. 

They make a plug with a step in it that allows you to use standard 5" springs in a 6" gun.  That is what I have in my gun.

8 hours ago, konkapot said:

If I do not have the type of plug then trimming these longer springs is the way to go?

No. It should have the plug in it already to use 5" springs. Otherwise, buy the plug in the 6" size, then you won't have to trim springs.

If you have a bushing barrel: http://www.1911store.com/stiguiderodplug-spring.aspx

If you have a bull barrel: https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Caspian-Reverse-Plug-Long-Slide-6-P1957.aspx

21 hours ago, konkapot said:

Yes this is the way to go,  I have a 6 inch bull barrel STI 40 I bought in 2007 , Got that wolf numbered 4 pack. Counted the number of coils in the factory spring and cut to the same number, then checked for spring bind, all was good.  Been running fine . I use the lightest spring for minor 150, next one up for major , then the next one up for pin loads, which are 200pf.
Once you tune your gun, contact Wolff and just buy a 4 pack of the one you need.
I will say I chucked the original 2 piece screw together POS guide rod, that never stays screwed together. I measured a GI guide rod, then made a GI guide rod plus 1 inch guide rod out of a cut down FL rod. Been running it that way since about 6 months after getting the gun.

My new RIA 6" 45 came with a stepped plug for 5" springs, but same type of POS screw together guide rod and sure enough, unscrews while shooting.  So I just put a GI rod in it been running fine and I can get it apart without an issue.

Hey thanks Captain obvious.

No it doesnt work, Blue, green,  orings, tiny split washers,, de greased THEN blue green orings tiny split washers,
Ive torqued snot out of them and nope they dont work, Absolute piece of garbage  part. Only good thing is in general a FLGR is a solution to a nonexistent problem so when the end flys down range, your gun will still cycle.

I've used a lot of Ed Brown 2-piece guide rods in both 1911 and 2011 builds and never once had one come apart, let alone loosen up.  So it's not the design of the part, but the manufacture that's suspect.  As for full length guide rods breaking and flying down range, in 30+ years, I've seen that happen once.  And the one that broke was tungsten, which is just a bad choice of material for that particular application (i.e., hard and brittle).  Don't think anyone is going to complain if you want to use a GI style guide rod.  But 99.9+% use FLGR and without any problems.

didnt break, came unscrewed.
 I bought into the hype and have a couple 5" guns with one piece FLGR's,  I can get them apart without issue so no real issue with them or need to change.
My 6" guns no way to get the the 2 piece rods in without taking them apart first. 
Which then they proceed to unscrew when you shoot. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, I got fooled once by this junk and after about second time to the range with new gun I chucked the POS.
Good for you if yours have never come apart. I have a 100% failure rate from 2 MFG's... I can guarantee there wont be a 3rd.
Be glad to sell you the one I have, would say 2 but the STI went in the garbage long ago

Edited by Joe4d

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, konkapot said:

When I started looking into changing the springs in my 6" Eagle this was the process that was described to me.