Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange looking 223 brass

usmc1974

57 minutes ago, Tom Freeman said:

Regular old 223 case that was shot in a oversize chamber and then run through a small base die.

This   ^ ^  Just had a few processing some range brass.

Could also be caused by sizing die not lined up with shell holder.

13 hours ago, RePete said:

What is the headstamp?

It has been run through my small base sizing die just like all my other brass. I don't know what the head stamp means. Cj6 just like the picture

20200701_120830-1.jpg

During the 1968 Congressional hearings on the M16 rifle jamming problems, one of the problems was soft brass.

The military hardness requirements were increased at Lake City and commercial contracts for the military.

4kXrGuI.png

The case pictured in the OPs post was either loaded too hot or had soft brass and the base of the case expanded beyond its elastic limits.

NOTE, to keep it simple I buy once fired bulk Lake City 5.56 brass for my AR15 rifles. These cases have the hardest brass and are above average in quality and uniformity.

PExmCCk.jpg

LjAQ7L9.jpg

SIMPLE TRICK FOR MONITORING PRESSURE OF YOUR RIFLE RELOADS

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/simple-trick-monitoring-pressure-your-rifle-reloads

"One of the first rules of handloading is to always follow the approved reload data. The cautious reloader gradually works up to approved maximum loads to ensure his particular gun does not show pressure signs. Generally this is visual observation of the fired shell case head and primer. There is another slick way to check for pressure signs if you are interested.

Using a blade micrometer that measures in ten thousandths (.0001"), new, unfired cases can be gauged before and after firing to determine reasonably accurate maximum loads. Micrometers measuring in thousandths (.001") are insufficiently accurate to perform these measurements, and should not be used. Previously fired cases cannot be used accurately due to various levels of brass hardening. Measurement is taken just ahead of the extractor groove on the case head and must be taken at the same place on the case before and after firing. By placing a small mark on the case head – entering the cartridge in the chamber with mark at 12 o’clock – a consistently accurate measurement can be taken with each firing. 

Lower pressure rounds, like the .30-30 Winchester, usually yield maximum pressures at .0003"-.0004" expansion. Modern cartridges, like the .223 Remington, will show maximum pressure at .0004"-.0005", while .308 Winchester, .270 Winchester, etc., typically yield .0005"-.0006" expansion at max pressure. Magnums, like the .300 Winchester Magnum, show maximums at .0006”-.0007” expansion, and should be measured on the belt. 

In conjunction with these measurements, case head signs of pressure should be monitored as well. These signs include very flat primers, slightly cratered primers, ejector marks on the case head, and stiff extraction. All these case head signs indicate high pressure, and loads should be reduced until these signs disappear.

As always, start with the beginning load listed, and cautiously work up to the maximum shown for that set of components, using the methods listed herein."

Edited by bigedp51

1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

Oh, I can imagine it was picked up with some 3-gun match went to

That's were I am getting it also.    Have even identified whos gun its coming from.

Sad thing is He mostly shoots new Lake City ammo.

Edited by AHI

25 minutes ago, AHI said:

Sad thing is He mostly shoots new Lake City ammo.

Do you guys like the late model Lake City brass? It all seems to need trimmed and swaged. I have that Dillons swage but it always doesn't seem to get the cramp out on the first try.

Edited by usmc1974

I went to swageing in two steps (twice) some time ago. Did this to get a more consistent trim length when processing brass on my S1050.

I process brass for a few shooting buddies they all prefer LC. Personally I like PMC, Geco,Norma and Winchester  in that order.

On the swaging I remove the primer  set the swage to get most crimps out . Wet pin clean the cases.

Then process ( trim) with a full swage on the second tool head. I really should separate by head stamp

before but usually don't till loading.

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

It has been run through my small base sizing die just like all my other brass. I don't know what the head stamp means. Cj6 just like the picture

20200701_120830-1.jpg

That case is of Chinese manufacture (Norinco), according to "Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association".  https://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes

Edited by Ken6PPC
More info...