Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds sliding forward in mag

Need some help with an issue. When I drop the mags for a reload or unloading they sometimes hang up due to the next round being forward a bit. (Attached an image of it if it works). This is on a limited custom extreme (newer version) only thing I’ve done to the mags is put the henning extended base plates with grams springs. Could this be a mag issue or gun issue?  Thinking that with the slide being squared where it rides the next round in the mag it is pushing the round forward. Just wanted other opinions before it start altering the slide. Thanks

DCB4FD12-645D-4E3A-A0D9-20B0EC506DC6.jpeg

Just to be clear, this is happening when removing the magazine from the gun, not picking it up off the ground after a reload right?

If it’s out of the gun, how much tension is on the spring of your magazine?  Maybe with a worn out spring it isn’t pushing up enough to keep it in place and the rest of slide is grabbing it.

There is a rib running down the center of the underside of the slide. Round over the sharp edge where it meets the bottom of the breechface with a file.

A common bit o’ smithing which a lot of Tanfos require.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

Just to be clear, this is happening when removing the magazine from the gun, not picking it up off the ground after a reload right?

If it’s out of the gun, how much tension is on the spring of your magazine?  Maybe with a worn out spring it isn’t pushing up enough to keep it in place and the rest of slide is grabbing it.

Correct that mag in the picture was taken out at unload and show clear. It didn’t touch the ground yet. The mag springs are relatively new. 

7 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There is a rib running down the center of the underside of the slide. Round over the sharp edge where it meets the bottom of the breechface with a file.

A common bit o’ smithing which a lot of Tanfos require.

Thats what I was thinking. 

Yes, break bottom of breech face carefully.

Also; to ad to Memphis, polish under side of slide. It rides over the rounds and drags them back and forth. Especially with new stiff mag springs.

Edited by Apolo

A bit of lube on the bottom of the slide will also help; I prefer MolySlide grease (60% moly), but even a light oil will help for a time.

Edited by Ronemus

Hmm, I tried putting a slight radius on that corner but it did not change the top round scooting forward.

But I don't think it really matters because on ejection the top round gets scooted all the way back into the mag from the slide. 

I guess you could always load it, remove the mag and scoot the top round back but it doesn't seem to affect reliably feeding.

Edited by gnappi