Lazy Shooters

davidb72

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/30/2020 at 7:31 PM, Edwards30 said:

I'm only on my 3rd match but I ran the tablet at the last 2.  That thing is very intimidating, even for a millennial.  People are shouting out Alphas and mikes faster than I can mark them.

The taping nearly everyone should be doing but I've noticed several people who just sit back in between their turn.  I would say they are the exception though for our club.

Tell them to slow down. They shouldn't be calling the next target until you call back the hits anyway.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, waktasz said:

This is why every year I debate about renewing my CRO cert

36 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

I was thinking that as I was taking the test this year.

Nah, you both will take it... because you are not the lazy ones. 

There is one of those larger than life characters up here who not only sponsor's matches but RO's and has quite the voice.

Anyway on one particular stage of a L3 he was RO'ing had to yell " my d**k ain't gonna suck itself and neither are these targets going to patch themselves".  He got his point across.

Edited by MikeyScuba

At the shooters meeting the MD should say “Shooting is optional, resetting is not. If you are not resetting you will be given one warning, the second time you will be asked to leave”....if the person leave and gets so butthurt that they don’t come back, so be it. They are hurting the majority by being lazy....I don’t care what class you are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well s#!t, I guess I just run with a bunch of good guys in Kansas, because we all   tape and set Steel. A lot of times the guy running the Nook has the target scored before the shooter is done shooting. And since we're that far back of the shooter, we have a lot of the targets taped before he's done shooting. Sometimes if I want to be lazy, I run the nook or timer, this way I don't got to run around resetting the steel and taping Target.lol

7 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Well s#!t, I guess I just run with a bunch of good guys in Kansas, because we all   tape and set Steel. A lot of times the guy running the Nook has the target scored before the shooter is done shooting. And since we're that far back of the shooter, we have a lot of the targets taped before he's done shooting. Sometimes if I want to be lazy, I run the nook or timer, this way I don't got to run around resetting the steel and taping Target.lol

I have mixed feelings about scoring so quickly and I really don't think any targets should be taped before range is clear command is given. A good scorer with the tablet can help the day go faster, but there's a lot of times I'd like to see my hits after the run. There may be times I tried something and wanted to see how well it worked.

6 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I have mixed feelings about scoring so quickly and I really don't think any targets should be taped before range is clear command is given. A good scorer with the tablet can help the day go faster, but there's a lot of times I'd like to see my hits after the run. There may be times I tried something and wanted to see how well it worked.

Yeah it's all good the only time we won't tape at Target in advance is, if it's questionable, whether it's a double or a miss or no shoot that is, any kind of discrepancy other than two hits we don't tape it everybody's been good with it the whole time, including myself. Like I said I run with some pretty good guys.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:39 AM, egd5 said:

There may be times I tried something and wanted to see how well it worked.

I was going to say that it's not all that important at the club matches (although ours regularly draws over 100 shooters), but this made me think - when targets are pasted on the fly and scores are called by competitors you do lose the ability to see any targets you were specifically interested in seeing. On the other hand, it moves much faster when people tape targets and let the RO know what the score was (on my squad pretty much everyone is an RO or a CRO). 

Similar to what usmc1974 above says, at our local matches we only wait for the shooter and the RO when there is something out of ordinary. Not so much because of determining the score (easy part), but to give the shooter a feedback.

What's the right answer here? How do you communicate if you want to see all the targets because you're trying something new? If anything, club matches are precisely where you would try some new things... 

22 minutes ago, IVC said:

I was going to say that it's not all that important at the club matches (although ours regularly draws over 100 shooters), but this made me think - when targets are pasted on the fly and scores are called by competitors you do lose the ability to see any targets you were specifically interested in seeing. On the other hand, it moves much faster when people tape targets and let the RO know what the score was (on my squad pretty much everyone is an RO or a CRO). 

Similar to what usmc1974 above says, at our local matches we only wait for the shooter and the RO when there is something out of ordinary. Not so much because of determining the score (easy part), but to give the shooter a feedback.

What's the right answer here? How do you communicate if you want to see all the targets because you're trying something new? If anything, club matches are precisely where you would try some new things... 

If you’re the shooter, before you make ready,  you say to the squad “Hey, I’d like to see (whichever targets you want to) before you paste them unless (if there’s something you’re okay not seeing). Do you guys mind waiting? Thanks.” For example, “I’d like to see these first 3 targets and that one over there before you paste them, unless they’re all alphas.”  

23 minutes ago, konkapot said:

Dkorn's made a good suggestion.

At some point your desire to see your hits conflicts with the other 99 shooters need to have an efficiently run match. 

Yeah, don’t ask to see every target every time, but if there’s something specific you’ve been working on and want to see an occasional request to not pre paste is reasonable. 

Another good option is to ask someone else to look at the targets for you and get whatever information you need. This is actually covered under 9.6.2 - If the ROs decide that scoring will start before you finish the stage, you are allowed to designate someone to act as your delegate to verify scoring for you. 

Oh I agree with what you all have said. And I don't care if the targets are pasted and someone calls out what they were. That tells all that's needed. It's those few times that they are scored into the pad and pasted and you never know what they were that I'm talking about. And most of the time that's ok too.

There is definitely a balance between not dragging out a match and getting feedback.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:19 AM, Zincwarrior said:

Tell them to slow down. I will tell me guys to tell me to slow down if I am going too fast.

This. Folks stopped quickly yelling out scores after I told them to slow down or do the scoring themselves. For some it's part of the cool factor to yell out a score faster than it was shot.

Just wait till you shoot on level 2 and squadded with a lazy competitor. I've kept their names/faces so I can avoid their lazy ass. Young ass can even go down the far end of the stage to reset but instead letting a senior do the resetting. There were many times I was the only one pasting down range for 5 stages to where the RO had to yell at their lazy asses. LOL. 

On 7/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, happygunner77 said:

Just wait till you shoot on level 2 and squadded with a lazy competitor. I've kept their names/faces so I can avoid their lazy ass. Young ass can even go down the far end of the stage to reset but instead letting a senior do the resetting. There were many times I was the only one pasting down range for 5 stages to where the RO had to yell at their lazy asses. LOL. 

Yeah, and how come after the shoot it seems like it's always just old guys that are still there picking up steel and doing the loose ends type stuff that has to be done.

9 hours ago, egd5 said:

Yeah, and how come after the shoot it seems like it's always just old guys that are still there picking up steel and doing the loose ends type stuff that has to be done.

Because we ain't fast enough to get away with a quickness, like the younger guys, or maybe it's just we ain't smart enough.

Nolan

Because we ain't fast enough to get away with a quickness, like the younger guys, or maybe it's just we ain't smart enough.

Nolan

I really wonder if sometimes people don’t think it is part of a match to clean up afterwards. People don’t clean up after they pay for their meal at a restaurant so they think they don’t have to help clean up after they pay for a match....I remember when I first started 10+ years ago I would just pack up and go home. I felt bad for the 5 people that stayed to clean up so started to stay to help...and wondered why they started comping my next match fees.

21 minutes ago, usmc1977 said:

I really wonder if sometimes people don’t think it is part of a match to clean up afterwards. 

that really needs to be spelled out when folks are registering for the match or when the match is advertised.   ...in addition to the $25 match fee, all competitors must assist in taking down the stages and stowing the materials...

one local match charges everyone an extra $10 and gives that back to whomever helps and stays until everything is stowed away.

that really needs to be spelled out when folks are registering for the match or when the match is advertised.   ...in addition to the $25 match fee, all competitors must assist in taking down the stages and stowing the materials...

one local match charges everyone an extra $10 and gives that back to whomever helps and stays until everything is stowed away.

^^^that is an OUTSTANDING idea!!!!

2 hours ago, davsco said:

Our local matches have a crew that gets a share of the entry fees and they shoot for free. Anyone can apply and get on that crew, but those who are not on it don't have to stay and tear the stages down. It's much faster and better this way because we have a very large number of shooters and having to stay after we're done would be quite unpredictable for any planing for the rest of the day. Also, nobody is being taken advantage of (or feels like it) because the stage setters are getting something back for the effort. 

(They do some additional extra stuff which is highly appreciated, but that's different type of volunteering; many are on the BOD for the club and alike...)

20 hours ago, davsco said:

We made that part of the shooter's meeting - we have a list that we read from (yes it's canned/scripted but it means no excuses) to remind folks that everyone is expected to help with reset and at the end of the match, packing up.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, motosapiens said:

... . . .but if someone who is physically capable refuses to help, I don't have any problem just not resetting their stage for their turn to shoot. If that doesn't work, next step is to say we're not running the timer or tablet for you, find another squad.

I kind of like that.

I see the guys sitting on the bench just watching the other 10 guys shoot and then waltz up when it's their turn.

I may have to issue a slight nudge to get these guys moving, or like you said, let them reset their own stage when they're up..

AD

Yes it is a pain to be the only one running the timer & nook, been there way too many times.

One reason why I like PS & squadding before the match there are some who I know won't work, so I avoid them.  

At a local club I know who is good to squad with and will always pick their squad, and since I also jump right in they will squad with me too.

Actually with experience there is LESS reason to not be helping on the Timer & Nook!  I've been at this for 42 years and still run both.

I will admit in the hotter days I tend to try to be more measured in my work.  I am lucky though I can still keep up with the young guys, at least for a few runs!

I do feel picking a squad with good people is as much a match prep as stocking snacks in my bag.