Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

replicate Federal 150 syntech

midatlantic

I'm looking to replicate the feel of Federal's 150 gn syntech round. Anyone know what powder they use? I've read in forum that its Sport Pistol, but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer,

thanks

Edited by midatlantic
misspelling

Shot a level 2 last Saturday using up the last of my Federal 150 syntech. Power factor was 138 out of my X5. Similar PF out of my Glock 17s in the past. I recently started reloading and I am using Sport Pistol, however I like my power factor to be around 132-133.

You know your talking about 50 ish feet per second? A change in altitude, temperature,even humidity can change power factor.

Ammo that just tested 130 PF at home went 138 PF at the PCC Nationals. Personally I can not tell the difference in 130 and 135 PF

while shooting on the clock.

Edited by AHI

5 hours ago, Farmer said:

Did you happen to pull one if the factory rounds to see how much was loaded in it?

It will be some wear around 3.0gr. I have not pulled one. would start at 2.8 and adjust.

Federal is loading this to psi not velocity or power factor.The charge changes from lot

to lot. 

Edited by AHI

If this helps...my load is 3.1 grains of Sports Pistol with either a 145 grain Bayou Bullet or a 147 grain Blue Bullet...both round nose....OAL length is 1.135 for the Bayou and 1.130 for the Blue.  Powder Factor is 130 with either my XDM 5.25 or a custom built 9mm 1911.

On 6/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, midatlantic said:

I'm looking to replicate the feel of Federal's 150 gn syntech round. Anyone know what powder they use? I've read in forum that its Sport Pistol, but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer,

thanks

Be sure to include the squibs associated with it.😝