Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics pistol choices

Stafford

Does the type of pistol matter as much in CO as other divisions? For example would a large, steel framed pistol present the same advantages in CO as is does in Production? I assume it would, but in my limited time of competing, I mainly see plastic, striker fired pistols in CO division. To be honest, I haven't really paid attention until recently, but I can only recall one person running a steel frame in CO in my squads. And I may be way off and just haven't noticed. But, off of my memory, it seems like Glocks and Sigs are the most popular in CO

One of the better shooters at my local club has been running a Shadow 1 in Production. He also owns a Shadow 2, but prefers the 1. He just got into CO recently and is running a Glock 19. It seems to me he could have converted the Shadow 1 or 2 for CO instead of a much smaller, lighter pistol.

So, I guess the question is does the optic negate any advantage of one pistol type (heavy) over the other (light)?

I think you are starting off with the flawed assumption that heavier guns are "better" in Production.

Nobody that puts in the work is held back by a Glock, Sig, or whatever in Prod. The same is true for CO.

You kinda just have to pick what works for you and practice.

You likely see more Glocks and Sigs in CO right now b/c they are producing guns out of the box that are ready for an optic. You needed to have a CZ or Tanfo milled and lightened. Until the recent uspsa weight changes CZ wasn't even bothering importing their OR Shadow 2 into the US.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

With every gun, it will depend on the comfort of the individual.  Something I have noted, in using the Sig X5 (light gun) and the Sig X5 Legion (heavy gun) is, my one handed shooting is much better with the heavier X5 Legion.  The weight seems to settle the dot better for me.  Results may vary from person to person in regards to this.  The Sigs you have noted may have been Legions with the Tungsten infused poly frames that look like X5s.  I don't see many poly X5s, now that the Legion can be found pretty easily.  The heavier X5 Legion does shoot flatter than the origianl Poly X5.  Some say you give up speed in transitions using a heavier gun, but I am no where near good enough to notice this yet.  

In my eyes the optic has no advantage good or bad on a poly (light) gun versus a metal framed, or Tungsten infused framed gun.  Again this is an opinion and probably varies from person to person.

As with any gun, I would do my best to shoot any gun you are interested in first.  Shoot whats comfortable to you.  

I started shooting an M&P in CO when it was still not an approved division.

I switched to a Stock ll and for me that was a huge improvement. 

There is a lot more options for grips with a steel gun. I must have gone through six different kinds of grips before the ones I am currently using.

You can certainly use any number of handguns to start in CO.

Good luck.

I shoot a G19 MOS Gen 4 in CO simply because I'm used to shooting Glocks in general, and the Glock was (still is? maybe Canik is cheaper?) the lowest barrier of entry to CO.

Bought the G19 MOS new, slapped on a Vortex Venom, bought a few PMAG 21s, and called it a day.

Hope this helps!

A new Gen5 G34 fs/mos is way cheaper than a CZ Shadow 2 OR. $720 versus $1,500. A P10F OR can be had for less than $600.

That's the main reason you see people shooting factory, polymer, striker fired guns versus the offerings in metal frames with hammers. Sig, Glock, Canik, CZ and so on.

When people starting budgeting a gun for CO division and add in the cost of an optic they naturally gravitate towards a lower cost for the gun itself. That they can assemble right away, without having to have someone mill and such.

Edited by rowdyb

I cycled from an M&P CORE to a Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame to now a Gen5 G34 Glock MOS.   The heavier Walther was easier one handed, but otherwise no apparent advantage. It was a bit ammo temperamental (fine once I got it tuned/sprung right  -and no - "from the factory" wasn't USPSA reliable)  and it was hard on my thumb knuckle - personal problem.  The point being that I did a fair amount of side by side comparison (doubles, transitions, etc.) and if there was a significant difference over many trials, I couldn't see it - YMMV!   Once I got over not loving the Walther, my gen 1 M&Ps were getting ragged and rattly, but I liked them - so the debate was M&P 2.0 vs Gen 5 G34. I received a Romeo 3XL as a gift, and the MOS looked to be a better option (I could get a plate to mount it).  I just picked up another G34 for a backup, so I guess I am now committed - I like how it points in my hands, and I seem to get the best recoil control response with it. All that said - I have become convinced that in terms of improving performance - Gear is somewhere between 1-5% (meaning it runs!) / Effort 95 - 99%.  In the scheme of playing the game - the gun cost is just a fraction, so get what you want.

Edited by crmcdm
misspellings that were misleading

I guess I see myself trying CO at some point. Or at least trying a dot first to see how I like it. I've shot a dot three times, and two out of the three were very frustrating. First time was a P320 range rental that shot low. I put the dot on the X or the head and was consistently 6 inches low, though it was centered. Pretty much wrote them off after that. But, I'm guessing the dot wasn't co-witnessed with the sights?

Second time was a few weeks back. Range had an STI demo day and I tried a Staccato C with a dot. No real rhyme or reason to where the rounds went. Some left, right, low, etc... Also shot a C with iron sights and it was on target. Then, I tried a Staccato XL competition with a  dot and it was dead on. Shooting in or around the same hole every time at 7 yards. I  never even looked to see what optic was on any of the three that I've tried nor do I know the size of the dot. But as I recall, they were all small, so I'm guessing 3 MOA?

I've currently got 3 options as far as a CO pistol, a Glock 17, a CZ SP-01 and a Shadow 2. If I had to guess, I'd go with the Glock, mainly because I don't want to mess with the CZ's. They shoot great as is, I doubt I'd want to get one of them milled, and I've read here that steel framed guns are hard on optics. As for the Glock, I can get a dovetail mount for around $50, try out an optic, run 21rd Pmags, and then decide what to do. 

The type of gun matters as much in CO as it does in other divisions... and by that I mean, whichever you shoot and handle the best.

Like mentioned above, you probably see poly/striker the most because they have ready to go CO guns straight from the factory at a cheap price point... and also milling the slides on one you already own is "easier".  I say "easier" because those slides are more of a commodity and can easily be replaced if you didn't like CO.  Where CZ slides are more expensive and then your S/N don't match if you replace it.

You may even find that a G17 works better than a G34 since you don't need the sight radius.  Again, that comes down to personal preference and practice.

Yes, that is true but I don't think it would be very competitive,  I did shoot one back in the 80s but the times have changed.  Of course, Open Class - or any - did not exist then.
Personally I don't think a single stack gun with a dot would be all that competitive against stuff with double stack 140mm mags.

That's beside the point that I don't think USPSA needs to have a division where every single gun/configuration is "competitive".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

i wondered about this myself so i did a experiment one day.  took 4 of my pistols from G19/B92F/1911 in 45/and CZ75 and ran a round robin simulated match.  mixed things up so i would be trying a different pistol each run.  I learned 2 thing (YMMV).  1st i shot all of them about the same results-wise.  I did not expect that.  2nd i like the feel of the cz75 in my hand the best and thought it gave me the best chance of a decent grip the first time.   i use the cz in matches most of the time now.  my other takaway is that i was not going to find a perfect choice and suddenly get a bunch better.  i guess i relearned thats its the indian and not the arrow.  have fun all.

11 minutes ago, sax422 said:

i wondered about this myself so i did a experiment one day.  took 4 of my pistols from G19/B92F/1911 in 45/and CZ75 and ran a round robin simulated match.  mixed things up so i would be trying a different pistol each run.  I learned 2 thing (YMMV).  1st i shot all of them about the same results-wise.  I did not expect that.  2nd i like the feel of the cz75 in my hand the best and thought it gave me the best chance of a decent grip the first time.   i use the cz in matches most of the time now.  my other takaway is that i was not going to find a perfect choice and suddenly get a bunch better.  i guess i relearned thats its the indian and not the arrow.  have fun all.

Those results sound completely reasonable to me.