Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TSO vs A01 LD for range fun

Yellowlt4

I know this forum is aimed at competitive shooting and I doubt I'll be doing any of type of competitive shooting for at least a few years. But this seems to be one of the best places to discuss CZ pistols. With that said I'm debating between the CZ TSO and the A01 LD.  It'll be a range gun, I love my Shadow 1 and it's all stock, I also have a few other all steel competitive type handguns like a 2011 and a SIG P226 x5. I know the A01 is a bit higher priced but I like the idea of 9mm over 40 and I don't see many TSO's in 9mm available at the moment.  I also like the idea of full CZC built pistol. Looking for a top tier CZ range toy with a excellent trigger and no competitive discipline in mind what would you guys recommend between these 2 models? 

I have a A01ld and have shot a tso in 40.  They are both great guns. The single action in the A01ld is pinned directly to the frame and is the best I’ve seen on any CZ. While I’m sure you’d be happy with a tso the A01ld has a forged frame and slide excellent single action and is my all time favorite cz. 

30 minutes ago, jripper said:

I have a A01ld and have shot a tso in 40.  They are both great guns. The single action in the A01ld is pinned directly to the frame and is the best I’ve seen on any CZ. While I’m sure you’d be happy with a tso the A01ld has a forged frame and slide excellent single action and is my all time favorite cz. 

Thanks for the feedback, the A01 does seem like a great design. 

2 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

3 of them on gun broker right now.

I don't know how I missed those. It's been a few days since I looked but I completely missed those.  The other online stores I frequent seem to have the 40 in stock and I completely understand why the 40 is an advantage for the target audience (power factor). 

Thanks for the feedback and information! 

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but if you already have a shadow I think I would go with the A01 just for something a little different. I, too, like that it is built by CZC. I think the A01 has a bull barrel too, if that matters to you.

One thing that comes to mind is that I'm pretty sure the A01 uses P-09/P-10 magazines, but then again TS mags aren't compatible with your Shadow either, so you will have to buy new mags either way.

8 hours ago, NateTheSkate said:

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but if you already have a shadow I think I would go with the A01 just for something a little different. I, too, like that it is built by CZC. I think the A01 has a bull barrel too, if that matters to you.

One thing that comes to mind is that I'm pretty sure the A01 uses P-09/P-10 magazines, but then again TS mags aren't compatible with your Shadow either, so you will have to buy new mags either way.

For the intended purpose I'm cool with the magazine issue. Like you said either way requires new mags and for me at least I won't likely need more mags as for now this will be just range fun. I'm leaning towards the A01ld at this point.  Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it. 

3 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

Thanks, that leads me to a couple questions.

1. is the stock grips made of G10 (it looks like G10 in the pics)?

2. If I add these CZ75 grips it should share mags with my Shadow 1, correct?

I have the A01-LD and TSO in .40. Both are fun to shoot. At one time I had the TSO .40 and 9mm. I felt I wasn't shooting the TSO in 9mm much after getting the A01-LD so I let it go. I did like shooting the 9mm TSO as it was fun and accurate. So I did the next best thing. I bought a TS 9mm barrel and had CZC fit it to my TSO .40.  Works great and accuracy is pretty much the same, just a little off center with the 9mm barrel in.  So you have that option if you decided to get a TSO in .40.  

My A01-LD has been great. I had to put a lighter recoil spring in it, 11 lb, as I was getting stovepipes with my 150 gr ammo. And I haven't had an issue yet. I currently have 2623 rounds through it (yeah I use an app to track my shots🤓). I also had CZC put on a Atibal MRD V2 red dot on it.

Either way you can't go wrong with what you pick.

A01-LD.thumb.jpg.0134166595b1dafaa36fc8cf013c4b1d.jpgI

Edited by WildPete

Gun Ammo Inventory. I found it in the Android apps. It tracks your ammo for each firearm you use. It has a 'Firearms Collection' inventory and 'Ammo Inventory'.

827322674_ammocount.thumb.jpg.ca795e2dddd247a6a11cbe03526b1ba0.jpg168404803_A01LDcount.thumb.jpg.1ac17b949ceb76bd2e8a875af177c917.jpg

1 hour ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

WildPete, which app do you use to track your shots?

Edited by WildPete

On 6/30/2020 at 3:35 PM, WildPete said:

I have the A01-LD and TSO in .40. Both are fun to shoot. At one time I had the TSO .40 and 9mm. I felt I wasn't shooting the TSO in 9mm much after getting the A01-LD so I let it go. I did like shooting the 9mm TSO as it was fun and accurate. So I did the next best thing. I bought a TS 9mm barrel and had CZC fit it to my TSO .40.  Works great and accuracy is pretty much the same, just a little off center with the 9mm barrel in.  So you have that option if you decided to get a TSO in .40.  

My A01-LD has been great. I had to put a lighter recoil spring in it, 11 lb, as I was getting stovepipes with my 150 gr ammo. And I haven't had an issue yet. I currently have 2623 rounds through it (yeah I use an app to track my shots🤓). I also had CZC put on a Atibal MRD V2 red dot on it.

Either way you can't go wrong with what you pick.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm pretty much sold on the A01-LD at this point.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

that's a really interesting comparison.  IMO a TSO out of the box is the king of CZs.... except the A01.  You really are aiming for the top.  aside from cost, the biggest technical difference is DA/SA versus SA only.   as a range toy, you may only start from cocked SA so that may or may not matter.  if 40, that's a key factor, if both 9, not so much.  another key detail here is sight radius.  TSO is about 5.5 inches.  most other CZ guns are 4.8-5.  that makes a difference in aiming ability.  As a whole, I think it will come down to personal feel and you cannot go wrong.  the A01 certainly feels more special, bull barrel, etc.  I think ultimately its down to personal feel if the money isn't an aspect, you don't need 40 (USPSA limited division), and you don't care on DA versus SA. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased 2, A01's.  One a LD and the 2nd a SD optic ready.  Waiting on the optic.  I did shoot the LD today, 150 rounds.  All I can say is tremendous balance and just feels like a part of my arm.  Felt like I have been shooting it for years.  My optic should be in this coming week.  Will be the first time shooting with an optic. 

IMG_7410.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, MuayThaiJJ said:

ANy final thoughts on the A01 vs. TSO debate? I've read that the A01 is not as reliable...how is the recoil impulse and accuracy feel between the two?

Initially I had issues with the A01. switching to a lighter recoil spring and no issues at all. The You Tube review by Not so Honest Outlaw was bogus. 

Between the 2, it depends if you want a DA/SA or SA only pistol. Are you racing the guns or plinking?  I have both guns and newly acquired Czechmate.  So the other two have been in the safe for a while because of the Czechmate. From my last post I had a round count for my A01-LD at 2623. As of today without any issues since then I have a total of 7076 rounds through her.  Reviewing my notes, the only issue I had was with the Atibal MRD red dot crapping out on me during a state match. 

On 12/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, MuayThaiJJ said:

ANy final thoughts on the A01 vs. TSO debate? I've read that the A01 is not as reliable...how is the recoil impulse and accuracy feel between the two?

Just got my A-01 and for the first 200 rounds I have had 1 FTE in about the first 20 rounds.  Installed a 13# main spring and no problem with fiocchi factory ammo.  Next going to try a 8.5# hammer spring with ext. FP.  I really like it SO FAR...YMMV

I've had several thousand rounds through a A01 ld and a A01 sd.  Extremely reliable.  I did change to a 10 lb recoil spring, and 8.5 hammer spring with ext. FP.  But I don't think I've had any malfunctions that were not ammo related.