Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter with CZ SP-01 vs Shadow 2 for small hands

ML123

Hello, I am new and thought I would post this to get some opinions.  Plus I have seen the issue come up a few times and maybe this could be useful to another person with small hands!

I am just getting started in shooting sports and have a Glock 17/22 I have been using.  I like it but I have small hands and the bulky Glock grip doesn't fit real well.  I wanted to  upgrade without spending a ton of money on yet another gun so I purchased a new Manual Safety SP-01 which just showed up this week.  The grip fits me well but the trigger is a pretty far reach in DA and I have to still break my grip to hit the mag release.  See pic.

The more I look into it the Shadow 2 frame has a undercut trigger guard and higher cut beaver tail which would move my hand higher and possibly fit better with the trigger?

I found the answer to that question today when I found a gun shop with a Shadow 2 in stock and got my hands on one.  They had blue grip SA one, a TSO and an Accushadow which I am in love with but is out my price range at this point.  Bottom line is the S2 definitely fits my hand WAY better than the SP-01, I dont have to break my grip to release the mag and I can get my hand up higher and closer to the trigger with way better reach in DA.  Plus I like the front slide serrations better and OMG the trigger on the accushadow is ridiculous.  They also had a TSO which I did not realize has a different grip and it does not fit my hand as well as a regular S2 as it is larger and it to is SA.  I would like DA for dry fire practice which I do frequently so the Blue grips S2 is out.

Options and opinions?

If I modify my new unfired SP-01 and put CGW prokit, S2 mag release and Dawson sights on it.  I have $700 into the gun with Shipping and FFL fees,  $370 in parts from CGW $120 for sights and I am $1200 into a gun that still does not have undercut trigger, higher beaver tail, longer slide and no FPB. That is about what a new S2 cost from what I am seeing on Gunbroker?

My original plan was to put the Dawson sights on it with a spring kit polish a few things and be done with it until I get better at shooting and CZ releases the DWX which I think is going to be my must have gun.  I already bought the gun, the sights and a Mcarbo spring kit and the grip on the SP-01 does feel better and fits my hand much better than the Glock.

Plus I still need 40 more posts before I can sell it on the classifieds here lol!

We already talked but I'll say it publicly. 

If you're shooting IDPA a modded SP01 makes sense. Otherwise I'd take a Shadow 2 every single time.

I wear a 7 surgical glove or Medium in most off the shelf gloves for bikes.

I would be a size 7 too, but that is going by palm circumference.  I have short fingers,

I am planning to just use it mostly for 3 gun for now but would like to try a USPSA event at some point.

Thanks

With either gun, depending on what grips you choose, you should be just fine... the thin CZ grips (like come stock on an S2) make the grip even thinner than a 1911 with slims, and IMO the thins are great for peeps with smaller hands. If the DA reach is too much, you can add a reach-reduction kit that will bring the DA trigger in a little and shorten the reach. 
The S2’s grip is a bit larger than the S1/SP-01, but not by much.

If you think you’re going to be playing IDPA with the gun at some point, like Rowdy said, the S1/SP-01 is the one to get because of IDPA weight limits. But also both guns have a different balance/feel and the S1/SP-01 guns tend to feel more “neutral” while the S2’s definitely feel and handle heavier.

Having owned and shot both, I don’t think you could go wrong choosing either one, and while I shoot an S2 now and do think it’s worth the extra dough, there are times I miss the balance of the S1’s...

Personally, one of the biggest differences to me concerning their different grips is the safeties: I absolutely hate the low-shelf safeties the S1’s come with, and change them out immediately to the thin safeties or even the ones that come on SP-01’s.

I have smaller hands and the S2 is very comfortable with the stock aluminum grips. I also have an SP-01 and the factory rubber grips are a bit too thick for my liking. I switched out with some G10 thin grips from GUUUN grips for the SP-01 and it’s much better for me. 

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

I have smaller hands and the S2 is very comfortable with the stock aluminum grips. I also have an SP-01 and the factory rubber grips are a bit too thick for my liking. I switched out with some G10 thin grips from GUUUN grips for the SP-01 and it’s much better for me. 

I think a lot of people read online that the Shadow 2 has an "increased grip size" and kind of read too much into it.

I don't have small hands but I can't see how someone that did would have issues with the Shadow 2.  With slim grips on it you won't find a thinner doublestack out there to my knowledge.

The Shadow 2 is a bit longer front to back than a Shadow 1 or standard SP-01 and that's it, side to side they are the same.  For some people they definitely prefer one profile to the other but I can't see someone adapting well to one and not being able to do well with the other.

I used to have the first gen Shadow (SP-01 Shadow) and now I have a Shadow 2 (black factory grip).

The SP-01 Shadow had a factory rubber grip. And I feel that the Shadow 2 grip is slightly slimmer than the SP-01 Shadow. I like both grips, but for my small-ish hands I prefer the S2 grip.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies.  I have a S2 on the way will now have two CZs lol.  The S2 just really fit my hand well and honestly think I will like the thin grips.  I cant wait to get it and shoot it.  I am probably going to keep the SP-01 too and may modify it and do the CGW pro kit with trigger upgrade.

I will try and post some pics of the differences with my hand and how they fit.  The gun shop I went to had a SP-01, S2 and TSO and I had all three to handle at the same time and the S2 really fit my hand that much better. 

Going back to CZ's original marketing/release video with the S2, they supposedly put some priority on making sure that it fit their lady pro shooter and by extension customers with small hands. 

I have 6'1 guy hands, the SP01 (and Tanfo's) fits well and points naturally for me. I sold the Shadow 2. 

I have both.. and I have small hands. It's hard to say which one works better for anyone until you pick them up.

On paper, the S2 is slightly bigger, and I would agree that the grip of the S1 feels smaller (Hennings on both).  But I like the way I grip the S2 better... the shape feels better and I tend to try to regrip it less.

Of course... I shoot the S1 bettter, so the only true answer is to shoot them both and figure out which one suits you the best

On 7/2/2020 at 7:11 AM, eerw said:

For me. I’d pick an SP01 Shadow any day over a Shadow 2

the smaller shadow fits and feels better in my hands. Performance is equal.

I've also gone back to the original frame from a S2, though in my case it's the 75 Shadow (aka Tac II). The gun feels more nimble to me with the short dust cover.

• 2 weeks later...

How small is small?  I wear a large surgical glove and need palm swell grips to make either the S2 or the P01 fit my hand. I also have long fingers.  My wife wears S or XS gloves and she can’t shoot my SP01 in DA because of the trigger reach.  Most like the S2 better because of a little less felt recoil and the under cut. I myself like the S2 grip better but I shoot a SP01 in USPSA and IDPA, production, CO, ESP and SSP, all with the same gun and two uppers.  

I have medium ish sized hands and relatively short fingers, it probably is mainly because I started with a S2, but I prefer the S2 over the sp-01's I've handled without a doubt.  Whenever I recommend a gun to anyone any more it's purely based on what feels best in their hands that allows them to manipulate the gun without much effort fwiw.

• 6 months later...