Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Earned my DQ today

mreed911

What a personal s#!t show today.  Local match, hoping to run the Glock 45 I’ve switched to for CO.  Gun was zeroed, function checked and ready.  Mags loaded.

The first stage had some build problems that had to be corrected that didn’t get noticed until a few shooters ran (who then would have to reshoot the updated stage).  Because of that i changed my plan and decided to run right to left, which I still think is the better option.  The problem is I planned my reload location poorly, then compounded it by stumbling while reloading on the move and broke the 180.  I wish I could say I didn’t shoot to plan but I did... and didn’t leave myself any room for error.  Then error happened.

No argument, but now I’m on the way home to ice my ankle.  Apparently even with plates and screws it’s not meant to take all my body weight and momentum on the balls of my left foot as the only contact point.

Bright side: I have an excuse to not mow the yard when I get home now.

Edit to add: Also sort of glad I didn’t end up having to shoot Long Range Standards 2, which was one of the stages (but no longer counts as a classifier).

Edited by mreed911

Right to left reload is probably the most common 180 break there is. Maybe the most common DQ. Even without a stumble.  Sorry man.  But I think you've earned a frosty beer or two to drown your sorrows and numb the pain while not mowing the yard !

Right to left is better suited for left handed shooters as it keeps the gun pointed downrange.  Remember their are two types of people in this world.  Those that have DQ'd and those who will.  Glad you and everyone else is ok.

1 hour ago, stick said:

Right to left is better suited for left handed shooters as it keeps the gun pointed downrange.

Oh, I know.  I knew it was a risk when I made the choice, but it was still faster (if I didn't DQ) for me.  WHERE I decided to do the reload was a poor choice as my angle was even worse, and stumbling as I realized it sealed the deal.

My "learning lesson" from it is better planning.  Don't paint myself into a box with a plan that requires perfect execution - give myself a little leeway for things going wonky and make it up with clean shooting and movement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also got my first DQ this weekend. Also, 180. 

The stage was set up like an upside down T, with the shooter starting in the middle of the top (bottom on a normal "T") and a few targets up front, then run back, 4 to the left, 6 or 7 to the right. 

I was shooting revolver. Shoot 8, reload, shoot 8, the plan was to turn around as I was dropping the moonclip and run back while reloading (stupid plan), we were forced to run towards every one. When I dropped the moonclip and went to load another, my gun moved 1" past my waist and the RO (good, fast guy) immediately called it out. 

No complaints, I didn't argue, the guy was right, I messed it up. On the last stage. 

Edited by Pnut

If you are a right-hand shooter and moving right to left when you reload, your normal reload will break the 180. Instead, flip your right wrist hard right to point the muzzle downrange. The gun will then be horizontal, but pointing down range. Mag ejects just fine, new mag goes in just just fine. Beats going home early.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, Pnut said:

I also got my first DQ this weekend. Also, 180. 

The stage was set up like an upside down T, with the shooter starting in the middle of the top (bottom on a normal "T") and a few targets up front, then run back, 4 to the left, 6 or 7 to the right. 

I was shooting revolver. Shoot 8, reload, shoot 8, the plan was to turn around as I was dropping the moonclip and run back while reloading (stupid plan), we were forced to run towards every one. When I dropped the moonclip and went to load another, my gun moved 1" past my waist and the RO (good, fast guy) immediately called it out. 

No complaints, I didn't argue, the guy was right, I messed it up. On the last stage. 

Happens to everybody. I don't reload revo when I'm moving backwards unless it's three steps or less (and I can do the "revolver shuffle"). If I have to run, I usually eject the moon at the forward position, turn, run back while dragging the gun, and then finish the reload once I've turned my hips/shoulders forward again. The revolver reload is too mechanically complicated to attempt while moving back with any kind of speed.

I have started memorizing keeping my shoulders parallel to the berm when visualizing the stage plan.  Pushing off with my right foot and shuffling directly sideways when reloading moving from right to left as a right hand shooter.  I have been also practicing this foot work in Dry Fire movement drills.  I always try to watch high level shooters and see what they are doing as well when performing reloads in this manner.  I have been DQ'd once for breaking the 180 on this reload and have come close a couple of times.  Thinking about body position during this reload during visualization of the stage plan has helped a great deal. 

10 hours ago, matteekay said:

Happens to everybody. I don't reload revo when I'm moving backwards unless it's three steps or less (and I can do the "revolver shuffle"). If I have to run, I usually eject the moon at the forward position, turn, run back while dragging the gun, and then finish the reload once I've turned my hips/shoulders forward again. The revolver reload is too mechanically complicated to attempt while moving back with any kind of speed.

Do you reload with the strong hand or the weak hand? I find it much easier to reload a revolver while facing uprange than a bottom-feeder, given strong hand reloads—I have the gun in my left hand, just off my left hip, with the cylinder open and my thumb, parallel to the barrel, pointing downrange, and just drop a moon clip in as I go.

Do you reload with the strong hand or the weak hand? I find it much easier to reload a revolver while facing uprange than a bottom-feeder, given strong hand reloads—I have the gun in my left hand, just off my left hip, with the cylinder open and my thumb, parallel to the barrel, pointing downrange, and just drop a moon clip in as I go.
Weak hand. Lots more twisting.

I prefer to burn the second and finish my reload facing the right direction rather than trying to save time and risk a DQ, but obviously everyone has different strategies that work for them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, matteekay said:

How wonderfully constructive.

It happens to a lot of people. The important thing is to learn from it.

Glad I could contribute 😁 and you are right it does happen to a lot of people but not everyone and if it does happen to you learn from it. But try not to put yourself in that situation to start with. ✌🏻

14 minutes ago, revoman said:

Glad I could contribute 😁 and you are right it does happen to a lot of people but not everyone and if it does happen to you learn from it. But try not to put yourself in that situation to start with. ✌🏻

Lol, fair enough. I've never DQ'd due to the 180; I think it's because my first year of shooting was all indoor matches with targets definitively downrange so it helped reinforce muzzle direction.

Actually, I've never DQ'd with a revo, either... I only got myself in trouble when I tried to run a race gun with a 1.5 lb trigger, haha.

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 12:32 PM, mreed911 said:

What a personal s#!t show today.  Local match, hoping to run the Glock 45 I’ve switched to for CO.  Gun was zeroed, function checked and ready.  Mags loaded.

The first stage had some build problems that had to be corrected that didn’t get noticed until a few shooters ran (who then would have to reshoot the updated stage).  Because of that i changed my plan and decided to run right to left, which I still think is the better option.  The problem is I planned my reload location poorly, then compounded it by stumbling while reloading on the move and broke the 180.  I wish I could say I didn’t shoot to plan but I did... and didn’t leave myself any room for error.  Then error happened.

No argument, but now I’m on the way home to ice my ankle.  Apparently even with plates and screws it’s not meant to take all my body weight and momentum on the balls of my left foot as the only contact point.

Bright side: I have an excuse to not mow the yard when I get home now.

Edit to add: Also sort of glad I didn’t end up having to shoot Long Range Standards 2, which was one of the stages (but no longer counts as a classifier).

Got my first one in 4 years last month as well, it happens. One tip on right to left reloads (assuming you are not one of them lefties :)), hit the mag release, grab the mag you wish to reload and hold it while you run to the next shooting position. Then hit your reload once you are approaching your next shooting position and can safety angle yourself back down range. This way you do not have to slow down to ensure you don’t break the 180 and you don’t run the risk of breaking the 180. Not always the best move, but it is one I picked up along the way and works well in certain cases. Good luck!