Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ tac sports orange + comp ?

Squirrel45

Hi everyone, 

Long time reader first time poster.

Very long story short...

I would like a firearm ready to run stock/production out of the box and the TSO seems to fit that bill nicely. However I would like to run open at some point as well in future. The czechmate unfortunately at $3200 is a bit out of my price range. 

I have been looking at at a TSO for some time and have a question. I see on CZs site there is a threaded barrel made for this yet I was unsuccessful in locating a compensator. Does anyone know a source for these ? Or am I wasting my time on a wild goose chase. 

Thanks 

Squirrel

33 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I believe the Czechmate and TSO can use the same barrel. 

They're the same length. I've owned both guns but have never attempted to install a CM barrel in the TSO. It would be pointless as the threads would be enclosed inside the TSO's slide anyway. The CM has a shorter slide to allow a comp or front sight nut to be screwed on.

Edited by Lior

51 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I believe the Czechmate and TSO can use the same barrel. 

Yes, the TSO and Czechmate use the barrel. The only difference are the threads. TSO doesn’t have threads for a comp whereas the Czechmate has them.

OP, for the amount you might incur in trying to make the TSO work as you want, save some money and get the Czechmate instead. You’ll have less headache in the end. 

I also bought a TSO/TS barrel from midway USA for $103 because it was on clearance. I had a machinist cut identical threads on it like the Czechmate’s so I can use the same comp. It’s my third spare barrel and had Memphis Mechanic ream all three barrels a few months back.

I suggest buying a used Czechmate to try Open, if you decide it's not for you, you can likely sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Are you reloading? If not, you don't really get the benefit of the comp.  Shooting factory ammo, I suggest you just bolt a dot to your TSO and give it a try.

Invariably you'll love it because Open is awesome, then you'll buy $2,000 worth of reloading gear, $5,000 worth of guns, then spend $10,000 developing your own comp 😁

... Invariably you'll love it because Open is awesome, then you'll buy $2,000 worth of reloading gear, $5,000 worth of guns, then spend $10,000 developing your own comp [emoji16]

You almost added, "Ask me how I know", didn't ya?
There is a wealth of knowledge in your threads, thanks.

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I suggest buying a used Czechmate to try Open, if you decide it's not for you, you can likely sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Are you reloading? If not, you don't really get the benefit of the comp.  Shooting factory ammo, I suggest you just bolt a dot to your TSO and give it a try.

Invariably you'll love it because Open is awesome, then you'll buy $2,000 worth of reloading gear, $5,000 worth of guns, then spend $10,000 developing your own comp 😁

Hi, 

Yes I do reload all ready and have one open / comp gun however it's in 45. While I can get it to shoot flat and do get benefits from the comp it's nothing like running a 9. 

Sounds like the consensus is that the TSO is really best left alone and run it as is for what it is? 

Thanks for the help everyone

Squirrel

On 6/27/2020 at 11:16 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Hi, 

You mentioned a used czechmate, would there be anything specific to stay away from or to look for ? What would be a typical used price, roughly?  I'm familiar with 1911's and Smith revolvers however lack knowledge in these. 

Thanks

Squirrel

Hi,

I was at a lgs today and they had a used 2018 one for 2300 I pulled the trigger. Not sure it's good or bad but a new one I was quoted at almost 1000 more. It's all stock I think except for additional grips and larger *thumb rest [generic]*. Hope I did the right thing 🙄 I'll post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone! 

Squirrel

On 6/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Hi,

I was at a lgs today and they had a used 2018 one for 2300 I pulled the trigger. Not sure it's good or bad but a new one I was quoted at almost 1000 more. It's all stock I think except for additional grips and larger *thumb rest [generic]*. Hope I did the right thing 🙄 I'll post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone! 

Squirrel

Awesome!