Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current CZ’s legal for IDPA

900_DRIVER

I want to get a CZ for IDPA .It looks like the weight rule cancels out the shadow 2’s.

1) Is there any current catalogued gun that would be legal, ?

2) Is there any gun that I could make single action only (SAO) and still use for any division.

If your a CZ shooter let me know.

You can't make any CZ pistol SAO and use it in SSP division in IDPA.  But you could use it in ESP division if it has been converted to SAO,  or even if it is SA/DA)

A good all-around pistol for IDPA is the CZ 75SP01 Shadow 1.  It has no firing pin safety, so it is easy to get a good trigger pull on these pistols.  Start the COF with the hammer down and shoot it in SSP (Stock Service Pistol) division.  Start the COF with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety engages and shoot it in ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol) division.

Add an optic and shoot the same pistol in CO (Carry Optics Division) division.

Get a CZ 97 (caliber .45 ACP) and shoot in CDP (Custom Defensive Pistol) division

Get a CZ75 Compact and shoot it in CCP (Concealed Carry) division.  

CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works does great work on these pistols,.

There are several more variations/models that can be shot in the listed IDPA divisions, as well as the BUG (Back Up Gun) division, like the RAMI 2075 model.

CZ makes a gun that can be shot in every IDPA division except revolver divisions.

And I haven't even mentioned the polymer framed pistols, like the P-07, P-09, and P-10.

Go to the CZ website and educate yourself on the attributes of the various pistols they sell.  Then reference the IDPA "equipment rules" section in their website to see which pistol best matches the division you desire to participate in.

Try to attend an IDPA match near you and observe and ask questions.  Almost any competitor is willing to help newcomers.  Good luck!

On 6/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, 45 Raven said:

You can't make any CZ pistol SAO and use it in SSP division in IDPA.  But you could use it in ESP division if it has been converted to SAO,  or even if it is SA/DA)

A good all-around pistol for IDPA is the CZ 75SP01 Shadow 1.  It has no firing pin safety, so it is easy to get a good trigger pull on these pistols.  Start the COF with the hammer down and shoot it in SSP (Stock Service Pistol) division.  Start the COF with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety engages and shoot it in ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol) division.

Try to attend an IDPA match near you and observe and ask questions.  Almost any competitor is willing to help newcomers.  Good luck!

Good informative post and reply from 45 Raven

I too have been thinking about adding a CZ to the stable and I'm looking at a CZ Shadow 2

Thank You

An optics ready P10f would be a very versatile idpa gun. Depending on mods you could shoot ssp esp and co. Make it a P10c optic ready and you could shoot ssp, esp, co and ccp by judicious modifications. 

Because of their design having an sp01 shadow is great to build it up in ssp rules. But have a spare set of grips and magwell that work together and shoot it clocked and locked in esp.

SSP- SP01 Shadow

ESP- 75 Shadow, set up with a SAO trigger and magwell. You'll have to find this model used.

CDP-97b or a DW 1911 gun

CCP-manual safety P01 or P10C

CO- SP01 Shadow with CZC optics cut

Those would be my choices for a CZ gun in different idpa divisions.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:33 AM, rowdyb said:

SSP- SP01 Shadow

ESP- 75 Shadow, set up with a SAO trigger and magwell. You'll have to find this model used.

CDP-97b or a DW 1911 gun

CCP-manual safety P01 or P10C

CO- SP01 Shadow with CZC optics cut

Those would be my choices for a CZ gun in different idpa divisions.

thank you !

R

5 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

No, not a sp01 but a 75 shadow, the short dust cover version. I've had 2 and I miss them badly 

Rowdy - thank you sir !

Very helpful as I'm trying to get "smarter" on CZ's

Dennis

58 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

No, not a sp01 but a 75 shadow, the short dust cover version. I've had 2 and I miss them badly 

Rowdy, you could get one of these frames:  https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-parts-kit-frame.html

Add your choice of 75 slides (non-FP Block models), and have the trigger tuned.  Then you would have virtually the same thing as the short dust cover Shadow 75, in SA only though...  

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

Rowdy, you could get one of these frames:  https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-parts-kit-frame.html

Add your choice of 75 slides (non-FP Block models), and have the trigger tuned.  Then you would have virtually the same thing as the short dust cover Shadow 75, in SA only though...  

That is a good plan, but thankfully I'm not the one in search of their CZ legal idpa gun like the OP hahaha. Though this did have me eyeing a few rarer P01 variants for CCP....

• 9 months later...

Anyone know for certain if a shadow 1 target is esp legal?

I thought I remembered stuff about full length dust cover guns had to first be ssp legal and if you bought 1 that was ssp legal you could then cut the slide to allow an adjustable sight install & it would be esp legal.

Other thing, anybody know when the equipment rules will be changed again?