Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hellcat... Boombah

Stafford

Not the SA micro pistol, but the trail shoes from Boombah. Bought a pair for $39+shipping. Here’s my review:

Looked narrow in the toe area so I ordered a half-size large. Initial fit was still a bit tight. Tread was large, thick,  and very aggressive. Wore for a few evenings to break-in and wore to work for a day. Seemed to loosen up a bit. Following day, wore for a walk with the dogs on pavement for 1.5 miles and seemed fine.

Wore them in a USPSA match after a week of rain. Performed great with no problems. Lots of muddy areas and the tread was great. Gummed up a bit here and there, but so much high/thick tread overall that it didn’t matter. Other competitors shoes were mired up in mud. This is a great shoe for muddy conditions. After a week of break-in, this shoe was very comfortable for a 5 hour match. Can’t be more happy with this shoe. One issue - the space between the treads will lodge a 9mm shell case.

Following day after the match, went on a 2.7 mile trail run. Shoe did fine on the trail, but I’m not sure this is really a running shoe. But, I picked the trail that I run with the most roots, ruts, rocks, etc... and the shoe did great. Again, I’m not sure this is really a running shoe as that is not what Boombah really does. Have gone for another trail run and it did well, though still not convinced it’s a true running shoe.

As a shooting shoe, for outdoor conditions, dry, slick, wet, muddy, it is very good.  After breaking in, I think I maybe could have purchased my regular size rather than a 1/2 size up. Also, I don’t think I would run these in an indoor match on concrete. The tread is too hard and might not be the best for stopping at speed. Any tennis or running shoe would probably be a bit better indoors.

What this shoe really is... a softball turf that is as good or better than a molded cleat. Playing infield on dirt or hitting, it will be as good or better than anything else. Playing outfield - this is where it will shine. Wet grass, Bermuda and Fescue mixed + plus Clover and Dandelions, you need a cleat. And most guys playing slow pitch prefer a turf shoe. This shoe is as good as a molded rubber cleat on those surfaces. 

It just turns out that it is just as good for shooting on similar surfaces. 5 stars.

Edited by Stafford

I'm surprised at the amount of grip they have. I wore mine on a camping hike a few weeks ago, and kind of step stoned across a few streams. Even on wet slimy rocks about the size of a volleyball, I really didn't need more than just the toe box on the rock and they didn't ever slip. The tread lugs are soft enough to grip and be comfortable, but I don't think there so soft as to cause issues

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Those are pretty slick. I was really wanting that Betsy Ross Nike, so instead I went with the flag pattern one. Crazy they're still on clearance, I bought mine a while ago (maybe they're newly on clearance, due to the holiday)

Bought mine 3 weeks ago. When I went to my match that weekend, I was surprised at how many people were wearing Boombahs. Probably more than any other shoe, including Salomon. All kinds of colors and designs including the flag design were at that match. After I wore them to work, a guy got online and bought two pair.

This past weekend, I was at a different match and didn’t see anyone else wearing Boombahs.

At the price, you really can’t go wrong. If you end up not liking them or you find them uncomfortable, it’s a $39 shoe. If you shell out $130-150 for a pair of Salomon’s, and they aren’t to your liking, it’s different story.

Went trail running for the third time in mine today and I’m starting to warm up to them as a trail running shoe.

Since Boombah doesn't accept returns on this closeout deal, need to ask if sizing is correct or should I order half size larger? Normal fit is size 11, my feet are just a bit on wide side so usually buy Oboz or Merrell which tend to run a bit wide. Would 11.5 in Hellcat be a better choice than 11?

Thanks in a advance. 

9 minutes ago, mpom said:

Since Boombah doesn't accept returns on this closeout deal, need to ask if sizing is correct or should I order half size larger? Normal fit is size 11, my feet are just a bit on wide side so usually buy Oboz or Merrell which tend to run a bit wide. Would 11.5 in Hellcat be a better choice than 11?

Thanks in a advance. 

Absolutely

Thanks in a advance. 
On the website, they have a measuring chart. That's what I used. I bought a 12, and I usually wear 11 ish. 11-11.5. I have one foot slightly longer than the other (we all do from what I hear). They fit perfect.

I couldn't find a measuring chart for shoes. I usually wear either 12 or 13 so I ordered a 12 1/2. It's a little snug. I wish I had ordered a 13, but maybe it will loosen up a little after a while. They certainly have fast shipping. I ordered on Sunday and received today-Thursday.

Took me a minute to find it 

1 hour ago, egd5 said:

I couldn't find a measuring chart for shoes. I usually wear either 12 or 13 so I ordered a 12 1/2. It's a little snug. I wish I had ordered a 13, but maybe it will loosen up a little after a while. They certainly have fast shipping. I ordered on Sunday and received today-Thursday.

20200702_180809.jpg

I got mine in on Tuesday.  Wearing them around the yard and house with my typical merino wool socks they were very form fitting but not uncomfortable.  They seem to support the foot very well.

I'm looking forward to wearing them in a match this Sunday.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I totally missed that chart right there in plain sight. But I'm glad I did. According to it I should wear a 12. That would have been way too small.

Got mine, nice too. Wear a size 9.5 and fit like a glove. A bit tight, but after a few Matches I am sure this will loosen a bit. I wouldn't go any size larger. Great price @ 39.00. Ordered Monday got them Friday. Good removal padding inside for the foot. See how they work next week. I still have Sacouny TR13, which kill my feet after 5 hrs, even with extra padding installed. 

OSkXExX.jpg

Wore mine today to practice.   They fit snugly and seem too tight at first but 5 min into wearing them they relax and mold to the foot.

Great traction and support on turf at least.  I like them much better than the too floppy Saucony trail runners I have.

I actually ordered a turf shoe because I didn't want the cleats. I wore them today for a few hours but they are just too narrow , especially on my left foot. Aarrgh!

Maybe they'll spread out more in time. Fingers crossed.

I received mine last. Ignite. I took it out to the range for practice and I like the way it “bites” into the ground. The outdoor range I went to has grass and gravel on the bays and I didn’t have any problems slipping and sliding.

I also bought a 9.5” like Lastcat and fits like a glove. I just ordered another pair last night for a backup while it’s still in clearance. $51 after shipping and sales tax.

Heres mine:

EC7-CF9-A2-0-DF9-47-F7-904-E-7-E08-CA7-C