Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Platform...Which to buy and why?

RobE1010

I am currently looking into jumping into Carry Optics and I'd appreciate some help and advice on deciding which platform to go with. I am currently looking at the Sig P320 X5 Legion, the Glock 34 Gen3 cut for optics OR G34 MOS Gen5, and also the CZ P10-F Optics Ready. I plan to buy 2 of whatever I decide to have a primary & backup pistol if necessary. 

I'm just looking for any advice or recommendations as far as Pros & Cons for each, upgrades & aftermarket parts availability, performance advantages of any, and any first hand feedback for those whom currently own/compete each or all. I may be selling my current Limited/L10 setup to help finance this venture but my better half says she's going to pay for whatever I want/need. How amazing is that?! Any pics of your current setups and gear would be a great help. Thanks in advance. 

Hold them all in your hand and pick the one you like most.

That being said, it seems like everyone on the interwebs is recommending the Sig X5 Legion. That advice is consistent with what I've seen in person as well.

For reference, I shoot a G26 with an SRO - slide milled by BattleWerx.

All of them have their pros and cons. I have shot the x5 legion and own a gen 5 34, but never held a p10. Personally I dont like how high the optic sits on the sigs because of how tall the slides are. A thing to consider is building a gen 3 with the zev oz9 frame to add weight to the glock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, George16 said:

I have an X5 Legion and a shadow cut for an optic. I like them both. 

Instead of the P10 OR, I highly suggest getting the shadow 2 OR instead.

Great minds think alike

Hold them all in your hand and pick the one you like most.

Agree with this, all three you mentioned are reliable striker fired guns with very different grip feels. The legion will be the heaviest so potentially the least perceived recoil, and you can get a *thumb rest [generic]*. Glocks are widely used with huge aftermarket. The p10 is fairly new and competing against the well established DA/SA shadow and shadow 2 but it has great ergonomics and you can stuff weights into the backstrap and the stock mag holds 19 without an extended basepad.

Personally, I have a p10f and like it, but I still had my shadow 2 milled and am using that in CO now (was already shooting shadow 1/2 in production).

I started with the G34, but moved to the CZ SP-01, and love it. Really, I agree with what others say about try seeing which gun feels best in your hand and go from there. You will end up replacing or modifying the triggers on any of them. To be honest, I will never get used to the grip on a Glock, but again, personal choice. My backup in case the CZbreaks is actually a OSP Xdm, and I do not feel hindered in any way except for the loss in weight.

I bought 2 Canik TP9SFX's and added the Freedomsmith triggers and really enjoy shooting them. I was shooting aCZ Shadow 1 and don't miss the weight difference at all. The Canik is as accurate as the CZ. The trigger on my Canik breaks at 2.4lbs with a very short reset. I an running a Holosun 507 optic. 

CZ style performs the best.

2 lb or less single action with minimal reset.

Not a ginormous slide like the Sig.

Not a long reset striker fired like the Canik.

Can function with a light recoil spring like a 1911.

Personally prefer the Stock II because of the availability, ease of fitment of Unica parts, and squared trigger guard.

Also like that the Stock II doesn’t put as much weight out front as the Shadow.

Can’t say enough good things about Holosun - but if you’re not worried about drop durability and have plenty of bucks to spend - SRO.

If you get a Stock II, add a Hennings steel trijicon mount, add a Holosun 407c, and add Unica trigger parts - I don’t think you’ll ever be wanting for anything else and will be in around $1400 for a 2 pound single action that repeatedly goes bang.

Just don’t forget to add the extra power extractor spring.  I also like the SSI Nitro Fin.

Edited by Whoops!

On 6/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, CClassForLife said:

Hold them all in your hand and pick the one you like most

I have held them all in fact, I own all. they just set in the safe. This is the one I used for everything now and love this gun.  I do have the med, beavertail add-on attached to it.

20200528_170623.jpg

STI Staccato P optics ready is the best I have. I have a Shadow 2 with SRO/ P-10F with RMR/P-07 with RMR, and the STI will run rings around all of them. I love CZ and my Czechmate is the best hand gun I have but cant run in carry optics, but in unlimited its a hoot. PM me if you want more info on each.

Shoot all of those pistols, and make a decision after that.  I have a slew of P320s, and due to the minimum weight requirements when I entered the sport last year I went with the X5 Legion.  I felt you had to remove too much material from CZs for an optic cut which would possibly sacrifice durability of that platform.  I did hear of a few slides cracking due to the optics mods.  I did not see any personally though.  Now that the weight limit essentially does not matter, I might have gone CZ.  Currently i have way to much invested in X5 Legions.  I have no complaint with the X5 platform. It does everything I need it to and then some.  I am curious about the steel frame Walther's though.

The Canik is a great pistol especially for the money.  The grip is too small for me.  I really like the Legion but have a milled Shadow2 which is hard to beat.  Looking for a P10 to hold and decide.

I’ve shot the regular X5, the legion, tanfo, and glock with dots. I really didn’t like the regular x5, even though it was worked by Robert Burke. The Legion was nice and I should have held onto it, but thought I was moving up to open and sold it in the off-season.

I still have my 34 and 17 with dots, and I can shoot them just fine. They just seem to take more effort to shoot as well (if that makes any sense). 

I shot Production with a Cajun shadow, and while it was a great gun, I never really messed with it. I tried a tanfo with a dot and I shot about as well as I did with my shadow, just okay. 

I’m back in the market for another legion, and would probably go with a romeo max or sro. I’ve shot DPP, sig romeos, RMRs, Holosun 507/508, SROs and I liked the SRO and romeo max the best so far. 

I'm a big Tanfo Stock 2 fan. Pay for the slide to be milled or get an aftermarket slide from Patriot Defense, skip the dovetail mount. Shadow 2 is a good choice too but they don't 100% agree with me. p10f is also awesome, especially for the price. I love my p10c but I don't shoot it in matches. It does need some extra stippling at the top left of the grip for me, very slippery there.