Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping the Glock 34 Relevant in USPSA Production

horhey232

2 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

That’s pretty rare though. I would assume that you’re either really good or that club doesn’t have much heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a good showing of masters, grand masters and sand bagger A shooters. I am lucky enough to have a bunch of good shooters at local matches to push each other. 

3 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

That’s pretty rare though. I would assume that you’re either really good or that club doesn’t have much heat.

I am a master in limited and production. 

I am a master in limited and production. 

Like I said, you’re a really good shooter. The average B class guy doesn’t usually win limited shooting minor. You using factory 19 mags?

Just now, tdp88 said:

Like I said, you’re a really good shooter. The average B class guy doesn’t usually win limited shooting minor. You using factory 19 mags?

Using 140mm Magpul 21 round mags. Using a 19, can't limit myself even more to 15 rounds....lol

Just now, tdp88 said:

Hmmmm, so basically shoot production against limited. Ok, I will try it. 

Hmmmm, so basically shoot production against limited. Ok, I will try it. 

A guy just won limited at the OK sectional shooting a 9 round 45. He’s now my hero.

Jeff Cawthon is the guy.

Has to hurt to get curb stomped by a dude with 9 rounds when you just spent all that money on new set of limited mags that feed..... Most of the time. 

In all seriousness I think that's an amazing achievement. Props to him! BTW. I used the competitor app to change him to minor. He would have still come out 6th. 

I have not shot the G34 heavily since 2014.  Mostly shoot a Stock 2.  I pulled my G34 out and have playing around with it and added a tungsten guide rod, thug plug, and brass base pads.  The extra weight helps the gun settle a little faster on the draw, transitions, and recoil.  It also allows a little more aggression on the trigger.  If I were real serious about the 34 I would get as much weight on the frame and non-reciprocating parts as possible.  Trigger upgrades other than the connector don't work well for my style of shooting so I prefer a stock striker spring for a firmer reset (I use more strong hand tension than most shooters).  I usually end up with a 4 pound trigger so the weight helps.

Edited by leemoe83

On 7/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, leemoe83 said:

I have not shot the G34 heavily since 2014.  Mostly shoot a Stock 2.  I pulled my G34 out and have playing around with it and added a tungsten guide rod, thug plug, and brass base pads.  The extra weight helps the gun settle a little faster on the draw, transitions, and recoil.  It also allows a little more aggression on the trigger.  If I were real serious about the 34 I would get as much weight on the frame and non-reciprocating parts as possible.  Trigger upgrades other than the connector don't work well for my style of shooting so I prefer a stock striker spring for a firmer reset (I use more strong hand tension than most shooters).  I usually end up with a 4 pound trigger so the weight helps.

Besides the guide rod and thug plug I am not sure what else I can do to increase the weight. I might look at brass base pads as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So post range report from shooting a match after adding all that weight to my Glock. In my personal opinion it makes a huge difference. Recoil was super easy to manage and I was able to reacquire a sight picture much faster making my splits more accurate and faster. 10/10 would advise doing.

For those of you curious here is my parts list:

https://www.glockstore.com/Super-Heavy-Tungsten-Guide-Rod?quantity=1&custcol8=3

34 extended, 15#, uncaptured

https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug

full size frame, gen 3 ***filed to fit within Production rules***

https://www.glockstore.com/Stainless-Steel-Pin-Kit

Have one of the Team Glock shooters shoot in Prod most of their matches. That's the only way I see to make the gun more relevant in the division. The joe average shooters has to see a sponsored person doing it to have the spark in their mind about "hmmmm maybe I should try a 34 in Prod....".

Edited by rowdyb