Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping the Glock 34 Relevant in USPSA Production

horhey232

So I have been shooting a Glock 34 in USPSA Production for some time now completely stock. I actually didn't even clean it when I bought it because I wanted to see what is the failure point for it. Somewhere 6,000-7,000 rounds was when I started consistent failure to feed. After a complete cleaning and relubing it went back to running like a top. 

Anyways to the point. A lot of changes happened in USPSA Production recently including the weight going up to 59 oz. To keep my Glock 34 competitive with the guys running Tangfoglios and CZs I have decided to add some weight the my 34. I have been looking at the Glockstore's Thug Plug (adding 2.38 oz. which puts me at a total of 28.31 oz.) and getting Glockstore's Pure Tungsten Extended 34 Guide Rod (adding another 3.52 oz which puts me at 31.84 oz) but it looks like that is all I can think of on adding weight besides getting an aftermarket slide with no window cut in it unless anyone has any input on that.

I have seen people custom making grip plugs out of tungsten putty and weights but I am not sure if it is worth the effort over buying and installing the Thug Plug. I tried searching to see if anyone makes a Thug Plug out of  tungsten but I came up empty handed (pretty sure because tungsten is difficult to machine no one thinks it is worth the time).

I have also been thinking about adding an over-travel stop to the trigger housing and changing out my magazine release with a Zev one that has a larger surface area. Per rule 21.6 in those upgrades should be legal for Production right?

I have been shooting my 34 for about 8 years. I can probably count on 1 hand my malfunctions, and they were due to ammo or after market mags. I’m running the tungsten guide rod and that’s it. There’s no free lunch, add weight and transitions are harder to get gun moving and stopping. The overtravel stop by way of the set screw in the trigger housing is legal. The thug plug is legal but I believe you have to file a little off to make it so it doesn’t protrude beyond the grip. That’s about all you can do, 

Concerning the legality of your modifications:

• Over-travel stop is legal under 21.5 as the trigger housing is considered a minor internal component.
  • Zev magazine release is legal under 21.6 as it's considered a minor external component.

Should you add slide weight?

• Arguably, you want your slide to be relatively light. Essentially, it's its momentum that causes the felt recoil as it slams backwards. More mass means more force assuming velocity stays constant. You want weight to be added to the frame, NOT the slide.

Personally, I don't think you need to add weight to keep the G34 competitive. It's more so a question of your personal preference in wanting a heavier gun. If you want a heavier gun, then get a heavier gun. It's not the G34 that's holding your performance back.

Don't chase upgrades, I have a Taran connector and a jager guiderod with a 13lb recoil spring. The lighter trigger really doesn't help the actual shooting much but I don't feel like changing it back to stock. The only reason for the guiderod is I like the feel of the recoil impulse a little more, I don't think it adds much to the actual performance. The only people beating me are the people who are better at shooting. I shot the OK Section this weekend and I bet I would have had the same score if I'd added 10oz and slapped in a Johnny Glock trigger. 

2 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

Concerning the legality of your modifications:

• Over-travel stop is legal under 21.5 as the trigger housing is considered a minor internal component.
  • Zev magazine release is legal under 21.6 as it's considered a minor external component.

Should you add slide weight?

• Arguably, you want your slide to be relatively light. Essentially, it's its momentum that causes the felt recoil as it slams backwards. More mass means more force assuming velocity stays constant. You want weight to be added to the frame, NOT the slide.

Personally, I don't think you need to add weight to keep the G34 competitive. It's more so a question of your personal preference in wanting a heavier gun. If you want a heavier gun, then get a heavier gun. It's not the G34 that's holding your performance back.

I know that a huge part of where things fall apart is more on me than the gun. I am huge believer in the saying "it's the Indian not the arrow". That being said though I feel like I can focus more on shooting if I am fighting less recoil (even though factory 9mm 124 grn barely puts out any). If my math is right between the Thug Plug and pure tungsten guide rod I am adding 5.9 oz and a Surefire X300 with batteries is 4.3 oz. I have run my 34 with an X300 a lot in tactical courses and I like how it handles better so hopefully this will help.

I am looking at the over-travel stop to minimize wasted movement (although it is probably so minimal that it won't make a difference). I have the Zev enlarged mag release on my carry 19 and I love it so that is why I am bringing that over.

25 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

Don't chase upgrades, I have a Taran connector and a jager guiderod with a 13lb recoil spring. The lighter trigger really doesn't help the actual shooting much but I don't feel like changing it back to stock. The only reason for the guiderod is I like the feel of the recoil impulse a little more, I don't think it adds much to the actual performance. The only people beating me are the people who are better at shooting. I shot the OK Section this weekend and I bet I would have had the same score if I'd added 10oz and slapped in a Johnny Glock trigger. 

Yes. So I am doing my best not to chase upgrades which is why I have left my Glock 34 completely stock for the last 2 years of shooting USPSA Production. I finally upgraded my sights a few weeks ago to Trijicon HD XR that I love a lot. I know fiber optic is probably better for competitive shooting but I do shoot this gun in low light courses at times as well so I wanted night sights.

I have been toying with recoil spring weights. I think factory weight is 16 pounds and I am keep that. I do want to get front serations cut on my slide though.

Yes. So I am doing my best not to chase upgrades which is why I have left my Glock 34 completely stock for the last 2 years of shooting USPSA Production. I finally upgraded my sights a few weeks ago to Trijicon HD XR that I love a lot. I know fiber optic is probably better for competitive shooting but I do shoot this gun in low light courses at times as well so I wanted night sights.

I have been toying with recoil spring weights. I think factory weight is 16 pounds and I am keep that. I do want to get front serations cut on my slide though.

I have a 17 with the XR sights. The Dawson fiber sights with green fiber are a lot better in low light and if it’s actually dark enough to use a light there isn’t a difference between them. I’d ditch the night sights but I rarely shoot the 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@horhey232 It's all about using a gun that you want to use. If you feel you must modify the G34 so you can focus more on shooting, then by all means go for it. There's also the option of buying a Sig X5 Legion, which has the weight you want out of the box. My fear is that you might feel like making more changes after you do everything you've already mentioned. It gets to the point where the modifications cost more than the gun itself. If it gets there, would it have been better to just choose a platform that you don't think is disadvantaged from the onset?

My understanding is that the mag guide extension on the original Seattle Slug was a no go, but I emailed Taylor Freelance about a version without the extension and Robin replied that they were working on the idea.

I've been around the sport long enough to have seen trends go back and forth on the relative advantages of a light, easy to transition gun versus a heavy, recoil absorbing gun. Since both continue to win to this day, depending on who's behind the trigger, it seems that the OP could try both to see what suits him best, rather than just following the current trend uncritically, remembering also that the incremental gain from equipment changes is a small contribution to competitive success compared to the attitude and skill of the user.

Just my 2¢.

Edited by kevin c

My 2 Thug Plugs weighed less than 1.5 Oz. An e-mail to the GS when unanswered and a call resulted in a “we’ll check in this”. At least they fit well in the Gen 5s. I wish the plastic Pearce plug I just bought for a 19 fit the same way.

I don’t think they need anything to be competitive. Sure, add weight where you can like you mentioned with a plug and guide rod but Glocks shoot super flat because of the low bore and grip angle while guns like CZs and Sigs need the weight to make up for high bores and less aggressive grip angles. 

I can shoot fast with a Glock 19 no problem. Grip is important to do that obviously but I firmly believe Glocks can be shot as fast or faster than anything. 

So just to keep everyone up to date on how things are with my project here is what is going on. I shot a local match over the weekend and got the hang of my Trijicon HD XR sights which was nice. I placed an order to Glockstore for a pure tungsten guide rod, stainless steel control pins, and a thug plug. The items I ordered should add more weight than a Surefire X300 with batteries which I do have experience running on my 34 and like the way it handles. 

On 6/29/2020 at 7:37 AM, horhey232 said:

So just to keep everyone up to date on how things are with my project here is what is going on. I shot a local match over the weekend and got the hang of my Trijicon HD XR sights which was nice. I placed an order to Glockstore for a pure tungsten guide rod, stainless steel control pins, and a thug plug. The items I ordered should add more weight than a Surefire X300 with batteries which I do have experience running on my 34 and like the way it handles. 

What recoil spring are you going to run?  I am also building a G34 for production and a lot of the parts I am using came with it like the tungsten guide rod but with unknown recoil spring weight.

For the thug plug, is that basically to reduce felt recoil similar to why Sig puts the tungsten in the P320 grips?

12 hours ago, Edwards30 said:

What recoil spring are you going to run?  I am also building a G34 for production and a lot of the parts I am using came with it like the tungsten guide rod but with unknown recoil spring weight.

For the thug plug, is that basically to reduce felt recoil similar to why Sig puts the tungsten in the P320 grips?

I ordered a 15 lbs. spring to be as close to factory as possible. I did some research and 16 lbs. is factory but for some odd reason the Glock 34 extended pure tungsten guide rod from glockstore does not include that weight (no clue why).

Yes so the Thug Plug adds weight to cavity at the rear of the grip. Gen 3's are the heaviest since that cavity is the largest. Gen 4's interchangeable back straps cut down on the space available.

The way I look at it is from a physics standpoint. A stationary heavy weight and a light moving weight is the most ideal for shooting so increase the weight of anything that is stationary and lighten the moving mass. Since Production rules 21.2b now allows weight reduction of the slide I am probably going to get some front cocking serrations added and maybe throw a window or two in it.   

1 hour ago, horhey232 said:

I ordered a 15 lbs. spring to be as close to factory as possible. I did some research and 16 lbs. is factory but for some odd reason the Glock 34 extended pure tungsten guide rod from glockstore does not include that weight (no clue why).

Yes so the Thug Plug adds weight to cavity at the rear of the grip. Gen 3's are the heaviest since that cavity is the largest. Gen 4's interchangeable back straps cut down on the space available.

The way I look at it is from a physics standpoint. A stationary heavy weight and a light moving weight is the most ideal for shooting so increase the weight of anything that is stationary and lighten the moving mass. Since Production rules 21.2b now allows weight reduction of the slide I am probably going to get some front cocking serrations added and maybe throw a window or two in it.   

15lb is exactly what I am going to go after from my research as well.  I made another post on here as I am unsure what guide rod I have so I want to make sure any spring would work.

The thug plug is a good idea and I will probably just order one today.  My slide is lightened and cut for an RMR.  Without a barrel or guide rod, it is exactly 11oz.  That is including the optic cover and Ameriglo Suppressor Sights.  If you have a Gen 3, I'd be curious to know what a factory slide weighs without a barrel and rod to compare.

I was also looking at the Seattle Slug, but it appears to stick out too far for Production rules.  I guess one could grind it down to sit more flush.

As a Production shooter who spent my first 2.5 years with a 34 and now shoot a Stock II.... I don't believe it's the weight. It's the trigger. 

Also shooting both. If they both have good sights, triggers (relative to the model), and run.... It's not the gun. If I went back to Glock today I'm sure with a week of dry/live fire you wouldn't notice much difference. At this point I just prefer shooting the Stock II. (Although I miss working on the 34🙂)

5 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

15lb is exactly what I am going to go after from my research as well.  I made another post on here as I am unsure what guide rod I have so I want to make sure any spring would work.

The thug plug is a good idea and I will probably just order one today.  My slide is lightened and cut for an RMR.  Without a barrel or guide rod, it is exactly 11oz.  That is including the optic cover and Ameriglo Suppressor Sights.  If you have a Gen 3, I'd be curious to know what a factory slide weighs without a barrel and rod to compare.

I was also looking at the Seattle Slug, but it appears to stick out too far for Production rules.  I guess one could grind it down to sit more flush.

On Monday I am shooting a match right after work so I will weigh the slide then and post it.

The Seattle Slug is a little longer than the Thug Plug. From what I am reading the Thug Plug will also need some filing to make it Production compliant but it is a lot less than the Seattle Slug.

8 minutes ago, Slalom45 said:

As a Production shooter who spent my first 2.5 years with a 34 and now shoot a Stock II.... I don't believe it's the weight. It's the trigger. 

Also shooting both. If they both have good sights, triggers (relative to the model), and run.... It's not the gun. If I went back to Glock today I'm sure with a week of dry/live fire you wouldn't notice much difference. At this point I just prefer shooting the Stock II. (Although I miss working on the 34🙂)

I have been seriously eyeballing the Stock II Xtreme but I have been told per dollar value its better to go with the CZ A01-LD. I have a pair of SP-01 in the safe that I will eventually get around to doing something with lol.

I have been seriously eyeballing the Stock II Xtreme but I have been told per dollar value its better to go with the CZ A01-LD. I have a pair of SP-01 in the safe that I will eventually get around to doing something with lol.

For value you would be much better off with the regular Stock II or a Shadow 2. The Extreme still needs work and is way more expensive.

I have been running a Glock 19 at local matches shooting limited minor and have been winning limited division. Also finishing in the top ten overall. Over changes were a Johnny Glock trigger, Dawson sights and steel guide rod. 

I have been running a Glock 19 at local matches shooting limited minor and have been winning limited division. Also finishing in the top ten overall. Over changes were a Johnny Glock trigger, Dawson sights and steel guide rod. 

That’s pretty rare though. I would assume that you’re either really good or that club doesn’t have much heat.