Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
sasquatch981

Red Dot for Carry Optics, and Defense

I know this has been asked a bunch, but what is the new goto sight.  I have been out of the pistol game for awhile.  I think the Fastfire is out, and the new kids are Holosun 509, The Romeo 1 Max, The and the Trijicon SRO.  Are the Delta-point and the RMR out?  What are your thoughts.  I can get most all of the these at wholesale, so cost is not huge issue, but was wondering if I am missing something out there.  I have 2 and 4 MOA dots in my Aimpoints on my rifles but thought that the 2Moa might be too small for a pistol which is what the Holosun uses, and I am not really a a fan of the dot and circle reticle.  Thanks.

My opinion only, the use will drive the choice of which dot to get. The gold standard for defensive use dots is the RMR Type 2. The SRO is said to be “not for duty use,” and is Trijicon’s effort to cross over into the competitive world. The Holosun 508 series gets great reviews and appears to be rugged enough for defensive use. For competition, it’s pay your money, take your chance. I have Romeo 1, Romeo 1 Pro, DPP, C-More RTS2. Just get 2 of whatever you choose.

If I were starting from scratch, I’d probably go SRO 5moa. As rugged as you can hope for, big lens. Carry it or compete.

Posted (edited)

Holosuns are made in China.  Hard Pass.

That leaves Trijicon as the only realistic option.  I compete with a 6.5 MOA RMR.  It's not what slows me down.  Having said that a bigger lens is better if you don't need to conceal the pistol, so I'm going to buy a 5 MOA SRO and move the RMR to my carry pistol.

If you want to use the same pistol for concealed carry and carry optics, get the 6.5 MOA RMR and call it good

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I wouldn’t personally carry the SRO but for conceal carry it should be fine. Just not duty use.
The Delta Point Pro might be a good option. I don’t know enough about them.

I personally really like the RMR.

Sig romeo1 6 Mia for both.

My co guns have no iron sights on them.

My carry gun has irons that co witness with dot .

I usually shoot the dot above the irons though

I've been running the DPP 2.5 MOA dots on my CO and duty gun since January with no issues, other than I'm still slower with the dot.  I just switched to a 5 MOA SRO for my match gun this week and actually won a couple stages yesterday.  I think the larger dot and window on the SRO may help me start to see some actual improvement.  

10 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I've been running the DPP 2.5 MOA dots on my CO and duty gun since January with no issues, other than I'm still slower with the dot.  I just switched to a 5 MOA SRO for my match gun this week and actually won a couple stages yesterday.  I think the larger dot and window on the SRO may help me start to see some actual improvement.  

Could not agree more.  The SRO 5 MOA is terrific.  For me, It has been a significant improvement over both the Leupold DPP and the Trijicon RMR06, primarily due to the window size.