Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Glock 34 help please.


Edwards30
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I just picked up a used Gen 3 Glock 34 and am having trouble with the backplate/slide.

The firing pin plastic sleeve is all disformed inside, it looks like the back cover is always pried off. 

Update: I swapped out components with my Gen 3 Glock 19 and the backplate still does not want to go on with my good Glock 19 firing pin and backplate.  It gets hung up on like the last 1/16th".  It does not make the audible click no matter how hard I push.

This is a milled slide from southwest precision, I'm wondering if maybe the channel liner thing is wrong.

Also, can anyone give me details on removing a reducer for a tungsten guide rod?  Do you just bang them out?

 



https://i.imgur.com/1nK81bNl.jpg[/img
https://i.imgur.com/1hmkhpB.jpg[/img]
https://i.imgur.com/OEHwt1b.jpg[/img]
https://i.imgur.com/s7Femej.jpg[/img]
https://i.imgur.com/cylbR8Q.jpg[/img]

Edited by Edwards30
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone finding this later.  It turns out the best thing to do is just leave it alone and come back later.

After investigating more, the firing pin channel liner was not inserted all the way by the previous owner.  I gave it some taps until the tone changed meaning it was seated.  

Also, I should have only handled one thing at a time.  I about tried to pound out what I thought was a reducing ring but is a normal part of the slide.

Thanks for the private messages giving advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The channel liner also has a bevel on one end. It needs to be installed bevel end first. If the previous owner couldn’t instal that right you might want to remove and replace with new one. A tool is made just for that purpose. The liner a one time use only. You can’t remove without destroying. You can remove with a 5/16 lag bolt, but you need the install tool to install.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am 100% in agreement.  I am going to go back through the gun and ensure everything is replaced if it appears to have been touched.

I am also curious if someone could advise me on keeping my tungsten guide rod from wearing on my slide.  
I see there are washers you can buy, but I'm wondering if I can just get something from Home Depot if someone could provide me measurements.  

I believe the washer would go right where the spring ends, not at the end of the slide, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be concerned as to why the firing pin channel liner was messed with in the first place. It isn't something that really needs to be messed with. Did the previous owner change it out?

So my best guess from all the research I have done is from when the slide was milled and baked.
I’m guessing either 1. The guy left it in there during the baking and it messed it up or 2. The guy didn’t do a good job installing it.
Either way I spent about $15 and got all new parts ordered for the slide.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Edwards30 said:


So my best guess from all the research I have done is from when the slide was milled and baked.
I’m guessing either 1. The guy left it in there during the baking and it messed it up or 2. The guy didn’t do a good job installing it.
Either way I spent about $15 and got all new parts ordered for the slide.

Both guesses make sense, good idea replacing the internals of the slide. You probably saved yourself a massive headache down the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a chance and went out and ran the gun today at my local match.  It basically went without a hitch except for one FTF that I'm sure was ammo related.

Learning the new recoil impulse is going to take some time but it shot pretty flat for not knowing what recoil spring is in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2020 at 8:53 PM, Edwards30 said:

I took a chance and went out and ran the gun today at my local match.  It basically went without a hitch except for one FTF that I'm sure was ammo related.

Learning the new recoil impulse is going to take some time but it shot pretty flat for not knowing what recoil spring is in it.

That's great, if it wasn't a match gun before it probably has the sto k recoil spring in it. I'll have to check mine to see what weight it is. I shoot 147gr lead bullets and it has no recoil or muzzle flip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CPD7119 said:

That's great, if it wasn't a match gun before it probably has the sto k recoil spring in it. I'll have to check mine to see what weight it is. I shoot 147gr lead bullets and it has no recoil or muzzle flip.

I shoot factory loads from LAX ammo. I have 124gr now but picked up some 147 to try as well. I also bought a 15lb Wolf spring so I know what I am using and the round count. 
Here is a video of the match to see the recoil. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

If I recall I and most others ran 13lb springs in 34’s. I ran a lightened and lengthened striker with light spring without issue for two seasons

I have a lightened striker spring in my parts bin but I don't use it.  I worry about light primer strikes since I can't control what primers are used on the loads I buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edwards30 said:

I have a lightened striker spring in my parts bin but I don't use it.  I worry about light primer strikes since I can't control what primers are used on the loads I buy.

It won’t hurt to try. Mine worked on everything I used at the time including Tula. The longer, lighter striker made all the difference. 
 But if it runs , then by all means leave it alone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...