Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue with Dillon 550 spilling loaded rounds

Has anyone else experienced their 550b spilling loaded rounds coming out of station 4?  This problem just started over the last 6 months or so and has gotten progressively worse.  It happens mostly with 9mm, seldom with 40 and 45.  When i rotate the shell plate the loaded round will hit the kickout wire but completely miss the chute down to the bin and land on the floor.  Some folks on FB told me to index more aggressively but that seems to only make the round hit the floor faster.  I have visually inspected everything and it looks kosher.  I noticed that the kickout wire had raised up a little but i still have the problem when i pushed it down as far as it would go.  This is a 2004 vintage machine that has given me virtually no issues up to this point.  Ideas?  This is frustrating and gets into my head when i should be ONLY thinking of my visual checks while loading.  Thanks

Husker (Matthew)

How bad it it missing the bin?

Is it possible that the bracket holding the bin got bent a little?

I got a used 550 this past winter and had to bend the chute just a little to get the rounds to consistently end up in the bin.

My 550 does that on occasion. When it happens more often I have found that a little case lube.

A heavy type paste or pure lanon. on the "kick out wire". Also a smother less aggressive index helps.

I know the opposite that the inter webs told you.  Probably the wire is worn some over the years.

I have two 550 and load 9 , 45, 38 spl and 357 mag, never had a round not falling into the box. Maybe your chute is not installed right or somehow bend.

Edited by RudyVey