Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters World Major Pistol for OPEN STEEL ?!?!

Stjs45

So we know how well Major Pistol meters. We know how flat it shoots, as well as how well it works the comp with the amount of gas. We know Itsaffordable and pretty accessible. 

Why not shoot it on my STI DVC Steel. I know the comp is barely used shooting minor out of a comp'ed gun. But if Major Pistol is so "gassy" why wouldn't it work for minor and STEEL, even if only 10% of the comp is used why not use its advantages. Am I seeing this wrong?? Is there a reason not to use a powder for Minor OPEN like the famous HS6, or 3N38, or Major Pistol for a Steel round on a Open Comp'ed set up?

I do something similar to this for my loads. For my Major load (9mm) using HS-6, I use a 124gr bullet and for the Minor load, just swap out the bullet for a 95gr and I have my Minor load. No change in powder settings. Minor adjustment on the seating die but I have it recorded where it should be set and takes very little time. I guess I'm just too lazy to come up with a new load so I went with this. Someone showed me this many years ago and I still follow it. 

Also, to answer the question about the gas, it's just not enough advantage to really talk about in Minor loads. In fact, instead of shooting Minor for Steel, some just shoot their regular Major load to get the comp to work better. Also, with some other more efficient powders, you get a cleaner burn, better feel, and overall good recoil curve. It all depends on what you shoot best and what you want - that's the great thing about reloading. My suggestion is to make a bunch of test rounds and go the the range. Enjoy!

I use Major Pistol for my 115 major loads.  I do not shoot that for steel because one club has a 1250 fps limit and the MD at another asked me not to.

I shoot 124 gr JHPs for minor at 140 PF.  I will certainly use MP for this after the 10 lbs. of 3N38 I have left is used up.

As far as making enough gas to work the comp, it does.  As it happens, I fit an uncompensated barrel to my 1911 Open gun.  One club does not permit compensated guns at matches.  Firing the minor load out of each (after changing recoil springs) shows you just how well the comp'd barrel with two 3/16" poppels is 'worked'.  Most of the people I know who shoot SCSA Open use loads in the 145-155 PF range for just that reason.  Geez, just the need to change out the 7 lb. spring tells you the comp is working.  If you use MP you will make more gas at the same PF, or the same gas as HS-6 or WAC at a lower PF.  Go for it.

10 hours ago, zzt said:

I use Major Pistol for my 115 major loads.  I do not shoot that for steel because one club has a 1250 fps limit and the MD at another asked me not to.

I shoot 124 gr JHPs for minor at 140 PF.  I will certainly use MP for this after the 10 lbs. of 3N38 I have left is used up.

As far as making enough gas to work the comp, it does.  As it happens, I fit an uncompensated barrel to my 1911 Open gun.  One club does not permit compensated guns at matches.  Firing the minor load out of each (after changing recoil springs) shows you just how well the comp'd barrel with two 3/16" poppels is 'worked'.  Most of the people I know who shoot SCSA Open use loads in the 145-155 PF range for just that reason.  Geez, just the need to change out the 7 lb. spring tells you the comp is working.  If you use MP you will make more gas at the same PF, or the same gas as HS-6 or WAC at a lower PF.  Go for it.

Luckily I do not have a limit at my local club. I am thinking to gettin get gun around 110 PF to 115 PF with my 115 Blue Bullets. I shot some low recoil Phoenix ammo through my Major Open gun and it felt like tiny baby farts. they were rated at 950fps which led me to believe that a low FPS round with the gassiest powder would be the best, lightest recoiling power/ bullet combination. 

I understand that the comp at that speed/PF is not used much, but I figured if that "gassy" powder helps only 5% or 10% of its capacity its still better than nothing. I guess I just have to try and find out. 

12 hours ago, Stjs45 said:

which led me to believe that a low FPS round with the gassiest powder would be the best, lightest recoiling power/ bullet combination. 

I think you will find that faster powders work better for 110 PF loads.    Slow powders burn dirty and inconsistently in low pressure loads.

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

I have heard a lot of good things about Shooter's World Major Pistol with the amount a gas it produces and how well it meters.  With that being said, does anyone have any load data for 38 SuperComp (open gun) with a 5" barrel, two 3/16" popple holes and a 3 port compensator using a 124 gr. bullet (RMR/Precision Delta 124 gr. bullets)?  I'm a fan of 3N38 and N105, and have even used HS-6, which wasn't too bad.  Really want to try MP.  Thanks for the help.