Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 Underlug

mchapman

2 hours ago, Why said:

Do you think the gun will swing quicker or stabilize faster with the weight reduction or are you going with cool-one of a kind?

Wanting it to be a bit lighter and maybe  swing faster, but doing this would make it so that it will fit one of my favorite speed holsters, which is a HOGUE custom built for my other 6 1/2 inch 627's.

2 hours ago, vvshooter said:

Looking to shoot L6 Mark?

I mean I have other L6 guns, but these are fun to play with and it would have the longer barrel. I have a 4 inch 625, a 5 inch 610, and a 6 inch 686 cut for moons, but just something different. Plus if I throw a Red Dot on I can make major in USPSA . Not that  it will be competetive doing that but you know old eyes. LOL

16 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Given I’ve never loaded 40s&w (for minor that is ) is there a recoil impulse for 121pf with a 220gr projectile??

I don't know, right now I'm loading 180gr. at about 150pf. This is from a 5inch 610.

9 hours ago, mchapman said:

I mean I have other L6 guns, but these are fun to play with and it would have the longer barrel. I have a 4 inch 625, a 5 inch 610, and a 6 inch 686 cut for moons, but just something different. Plus if I throw a Red Dot on I can make major in USPSA . Not that  it will be competetive doing that but you know old eyes. LOL

Half the fun of this sport is setting up new gear. I've always wanted a 610 . Hopefully you will get it set up the way you want. Post picks when its done. 

I have a 5" take-off barrel for a 610 if you need it. Just PM me.

My mistake. It's a 6-1/2" from a 610 Classic. It has the factory quick-change front sight base. 

I apologize for that.

Edited by Prange
corrected info

I really like the looks of a tapered underlug like on the 627.  I used to have a 625 with a 4" barrel in the mountain gun profile which was an underlug that went only part way down the barrel.  It had a perfect balance, and it was very "fast" to transition.  I didn't think that it adversely affected the recoil impulse.  Conversely, my 686s with a full underlug on a 6"  barrel have always felt barrel heavy to me.  I would definitely cut back or taper the underlug if it were me, and I could find someone to do it correctly.  :)

On 6/23/2020 at 10:29 PM, MikeyScuba said:

Given I’ve never loaded 40s&w (for minor that is ) is there a recoil impulse for 121pf with a 220gr projectile??

I don't know about a 220 at a 121 pf, but a 230 or a 250 at 140 pf is ridiculously soft.

Jason

On 6/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, Makicjf said:

I don't know about a 220 at a 121 pf, but a 230 or a 250 at 140 pf is ridiculously soft.

Jason

In Steel Challenge matches I've shot 45's with 185's at 650 f/s, while soft going that slow makes it very hard to time things.  I literally would shoot a plate and be moving to the next position on Outer Limits before I heard the ring of steel.  And to make 120 pf with a 200 only needs 600 f/s.

I did use 185's in a 45 acp/gap at about 720 f/s.  Like the 38 sc much better though. 

17 hours ago, mchapman said:

Planning on using PC'd 180rn at 750 to 800 fps. I think it will work, but if nothing else it will be fun playing with.

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

Mark,

Is that a new production 610 or an old one?   I have an old 610 3 7/8 bbl that is growing on me.   I'm finding myself drawn to the big boy 610.  

Jason

33 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Mark,

Is that a new production 610 or an old one?   I have an old 610 3 7/8 bbl that is growing on me.   I'm finding myself drawn to the big boy 610.  

Jason

Yes Jason this is a new production, I just didn't like the feel of it with a full underlug, way heavier than my 686 full lug 6inch. Plus now this one I can still use one of the same holsters that I already use with a couple other guns.  

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Love it. 

I had Mark at Pinnacle rework my new 610, including shortening the barrel to 5", resulting in a gun that gets the "do you want to sell this?" response from everyone that shoots it.

I make a holster mod for that Hogue holster that will fit all Smith (and probably other ones) from 4" to 8-3/8". It takes about 15 seconds to change from any one to any other one. Will do stock gun to any custom gun. You can see pics on the dealer forum.

Edited by Toolguy