Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 barrel vs. others

risingsun

Hey y'all,

Tried to search for existing topics but couldn't find one, so apologize if there's one I missed, please pass me the link to it.

Just got a new Shadow 2, and it looks like the barrel is so much faster than my Beretta M9, and also Glock 19.

- All guns are stock

- SDB 9mm press, 4gr of Titegroup, Berry's 9mm 124gr RN plated

- Didn't measure the COAL but I go by whatever length passed the plunk test (minus a wee bit) on the S2, the M9 and G19 can take longer COAL

- Chrono is Chrony F-1, 4 yards away

Results:

chrono-result.JPG.f343a101d7933a9e49307c1121c8c005.JPG

So I was wondering if this is a normal behavior of an S2 barrel. Anyone here with similar experience?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Yes, my S2 is usually 1.5-2 PF higher than my other guns when using coated Bullets from what I can see

Thanks! Good to know mine is not the only one. 😅

I've yet to try coated bullets, so far only plated or jacketed ones, but I'm also curious what makes it faster. Could it be the more aggressive barrel twist, more than 1:10?

Could be smoother straighter,  more polished. Are you shooting ammo with same oal? Throating can make a difference. On the tests I’ve seen, twist rate has very little affect. My Springfields are faster than my Rugers of similar length. The Springfield is also a little tighter so that may be your case also. Does it shoot well, accurate? Free speed is a Good thing! 👍

Edited by Farmer

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

Could be smoother straighter,  more polished. Are you shooting ammo with same oal? Throating can make a difference. On the tests I’ve seen, twist rate has very little affect. My Springfields are faster than my Rugers of similar length. The Springfield is also a little tighter so that may be your case also. Does it shoot well, accurate? Free speed is a Good thing! 👍

Yup, all the ammo have the same OAL. I did hear that the Shadow 2 has a shorter throat/chamber, and also can confirm that mine is like that. The M9 and the G19 allow me to have longer OAL, but I have to make it shorter so that one size fits all three pistols.

The Shadow does shoot accurate, even with the extra oomph. I'm also still running stock recoil spring, and I feel the gun still tracks fairly well with the extra FPS. I'm expecting to knock poppers down easier! 🤣

I finally chrono'd the American Eagle 147gr I had been shooting before I (recently) started reloading, and it was averaging 156 PF out of my Shadow 2 barrel! Factory spec is 147 PF out of a 4" barrel so you'd expect it to be a little faster, but not that much more.

9 hours ago, slowhands said:

I finally chrono'd the American Eagle 147gr I had been shooting before I (recently) started reloading, and it was averaging 156 PF out of my Shadow 2 barrel! Factory spec is 147 PF out of a 4" barrel so you'd expect it to be a little faster, but not that much more.

Thanks for sharing, that is good to know!

On 6/23/2020 at 5:42 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Yes, my S2 is usually 1.5-2 PF higher than my other guns when using coated Bullets from what I can see

Hmmm, that's awesome~  All barrels tend to vary slightly due to twist rate, build material, length, etc But this is good to know about the S2

On 6/23/2020 at 6:42 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Just tried coated bullets for the first time. Ordered some 124gr RN DG Bullets. Happy with them so far 😃

image.png.d1fadcdcb3788666176fe6f2f7e439d7.png

Just tried coated bullets for the first time. Ordered some 124gr RN DG Bullets. Happy with them so far [emoji2]

image.png.d1fadcdcb3788666176fe6f2f7e439d7.png

I have a sample of 800 147 DG Bullets to try out. I may just end up going with Blues sponsorship program because they’re about 1 cent/ bullet cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I have a sample of 800 147 DG Bullets to try out. I may just end up going with Blues sponsorship program because they’re about 1 cent/ bullet cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was torn between the Blues and the Green (DG) as my first adventure into coated bullets, but decided to try DG due to fast delivery and the standard .356 diameter. I heard with the Blues the standard is .355?

A lot of shooters in my area are on the Blues sponsorship program (saw their shirts), so I will eventually try the Blues!