Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone install a Barsto barrel in their X5 or X5 Legion?

JGus

Using a couple Sig P320 X5 Legions in Carry Optics.  Love them!  And i know the stock barrels are more accurate than I will ever be, but just curious if anyone that has added a Barsto Barrel to their X5 or X5 Legion if they've seen any improvement in groupings with slow fire from a rest? Or even just shooting free style?

I bought one early on, before Sig was replacing barrels to fix the LCI problem. Honestly, I think the stock barrel is plenty accurate. I have one with the Barsto and one with a replaced OEM barrel. I can't tell a difference shooting side by side. The Barsto does look nicer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Max Michel uses them in his X-Fives. The two groups are ten rounds benched at 25 yards:

I have fitted Bar-Sto threaded barrels in both of my X-Carry builds. They’re tack drivers and are far more mechanically accurate than I will ever be in practice:

3EC4372B-A8BC-4101-A798-B9D136CCF2AE.jpe

I have both the Robert Burke sig Armorer trigger work and a fitted match grade bar Sto barrel. They are noticeably better than oem barrels. To get the best get it fitted by someone like the Sig Armorer, don’t do a drop in and expect the performance to be same as fitted. I installed 2 romeo 3 XL optics and went to zero them tonight. The Bar Sto performance was significantly better than the Sig oem barrel 

Yes, I did see a slight group improvement across all the ammo. Some significant. But when I made a load that worked great in the stock barrel it was just as good as in the barsto. The barsto also felt like it had a cleaner/smoother lock and unlock.

But I stopped using it because it was pickier than my case gauge about ammo. The extra time there, sorting ammo wasn't worth a 1/2 inch better group at 20 yards.

PS- it is much nicer looking for sure, especially the crown of the barrel. And the one I used in my X5 Legion was the semi-fit/drop in. Not the gunsmith fit version. Which I have used on a G34 once and it made a very certain difference.

Edited by rowdyb

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I did see a slight group improvement across all the ammo. Some significant. But when I made a load that worked great in the stock barrel it was just as good as in the barsto. The barsto also felt like it had a cleaner/smoother lock and unlock.  

But I stopped using it because it was pickier than my case gauge about ammo. The extra time there, sorting ammo wasn't worth a 1/2 inch better group at 20 yards.

PS- it is much nicer looking for sure, especially the crown of the barrel. And the one I used in my X5 Legion was the semi-fit/drop in. Not the gunsmith fit version. Which I have used on a G34 once and it made a very certain difference.

Do you still have the barrel? I placed an order for a semi fit and requested a chamber that can take up to 1.145” but Barsto is 3 weeks behind on production.

What is your load that’s good in the OEM barrel. My barrel fits loose, rattles. See vid below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xlb5WJf7iW4rPxGE9TmPS4C2YXN16_ge/view?usp=drivesdk

9 hours ago, Stician said:

you still have the barrel?

No I do not. I sold it as I'd reverted back to the stock barrel.

I was happy shooting a 147gr rnfp Eggleston or Precision coated bullet. 3.3 grains of Sport Pistol. Mixed brass. Federal spp. 0.378" crimp. 1.125" oal.

No I do not. I sold it as I'd reverted back to the stock barrel.

I was happy shooting a 147gr rnfp Eggleston or Precision coated bullet. 3.3 grains of Sport Pistol. Mixed brass. Federal spp. 0.378" crimp. 1.125" oal.

I’m trying a case of the 125gr Precision swaged bullets. So you found the 147gr to shoot tighter groups out of the stock barrel?

Despite what others report, I've never shot better groups with a 124/5 versus a 147. I've found other variables far more important to my accuracy at 20 yards than simply bullet weight. I fall into the trap of thinking "Well if other people are reporting it I should try it. Maybe I'm dumb" and I try it and it makes no difference, I repeat this experience about every two years.