Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case bulging/ firing out of battey

b2alpha

Yep. Sig on the left, Glock 17 Gen 4 in the middle. Shadow 2 on the right.

That's an early silver barrel. I bought a newer sig x5 non legion with the black barrel and it was the same. I thought it might be the gun so I bought another one and it did the same thing in the first 10 rounds. Much disappointment. 😑

I had to use a slower powder or sort my cases by headstamp just for my x5 so sold them both. 

Wow, it looks like your bullet is hitting the rifling. Are you using  chubby 147's by chance? It looks like a very shallow chamber. The plunk test will tell. From your pic, it looks like fail. As to why the sig would fire that far OOB, is another question.

Hi y’all,

In sent pictures of brass and head stamp(to see primers) to a Sig expert. He definitely thinks it’s a pressure issue. These were 125 and 147 coated bullets, sized 0.355), with Clays only making 125 power factor. I have been seating them short, 1.100-1.115”. They do pass the plunk test. Rounds seated at 1.130” also passed the plunk test but we’re a little sticky when ejecting the last unfired round. Primers are Federal small pistol match.

1CA9646F-C2AD-4DB8-9318-0FCACCA02BBF.jpeg

Edited by b2alpha
Add additional fact.

3 hours ago, dansedgli said:

A sig expert wants to blame the ammo and not the massively unsupported chamber? 

Maybe go to a real gunsmith instead.  

👍

There are other experts. B 12 is the solution for this problem😉

Here are two of my Sig barrels.  The black barrel is from a 2/2020 production X5 Legion and the silver one is from an early X5 (like the one the OP posted).  Notice the silver barrel has a taper around the chamber and the new black barrel does not.

Sig Barrels.JPG

1 hour ago, s2000red said:

Here are two of my Sig barrels.  The black barrel is from a 2/2020 production X5 Legion and the silver one is from an early X5 (like the one the OP posted).  Notice the silver barrel has a taper around the chamber and the new black barrel does not.

Sig Barrels.JPG

Could you please do us a favor and put an unfired round in each of those and photograph them like the image in the 4th post above? I know I would like to see how much case is external to the chamber. Thanks!

Hey Chuck.  I know you asked for unfired but I had taken these earlier.  I promise they are pushed into the chamber as far as they will go.  Any others, just let me know.  Thanks.

Sig Case2.jpg

Edited by s2000red
Add info

I bought a P320 Legion Monday.  I was scared to shoot it after reading this post.  I did a plunk test with three different reloads and everything looked fine.  The round wasn't covered like some of my other guns, but it looked like the only part of the round exposed was the web of the brass.  I shot it Tuesday with no problems.  I'm happy with my purchase.

9 hours ago, BARRYJ said:

I bought a P320 Legion Monday.  I was scared to shoot it after reading this post.  I did a plunk test with three different reloads and everything looked fine.  The round wasn't covered like some of my other guns, but it looked like the only part of the round exposed was the web of the brass.  I shot it Tuesday with no problems.  I'm happy with my purchase.

I’ve shot atleast 200k rounds through the X5 and X5 legion. I did have one extractor blow out a couple years ago. I suspect a double charge, but there is no way to be 100% certain. That said, IMO it’s a very reliable platform. 

ive never seen bulged cases like the above pics between 7 different guns. 

Edited by Rich406

On 6/23/2020 at 5:18 AM, b2alpha said:

These were 125 and 147 coated bullets, sized 0.355), with Clays only making 125 power factor. I have been seating them short, 1.100-1.115”.

Word on the street is that Clays can produce some serious pressure spikes in 9mm, especially when case volume gets low. Have you tried some factory rounds in there or just the clays reloads?