Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eyes open continued

Mark88

Hello everyone, 

My name is Mark and I am a new member to the forum. I hope this is the right place to post this..

In regards to shooting with both eyes open, I have read as much as I can find on the topic. I didn’t however find anything regarding both eyes open at different ranges? Are you all shooting both eyes open at 25 yards as you would 7 yards.. etc? Thank you all for the advice. 

Mark

On 6/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Mark88 said:

In regards to shooting with both eyes open, I have read as much as I can find on the topic. I didn’t however find anything regarding both eyes open at different ranges? Are you all shooting both eyes open at 25 yards as you would 7 yards.. etc? Thank you all for the advice. 

Mark

Distance has nothing to do with it.  Unless its magnified.  Both eyes open!

Some people close an eye when the shots get difficult or long.  IIRC Eric Grauffel said it didn't really hurt any.

The only time you really need to is if some joker of a MD puts a steel picket-fence or something downrange.   Recipe for disaster shooting that both eyes open.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

i am left eye dominant and right handed. I don't turn my head to see the optic and just shoot with both eyes open. What I did notice (from 1st person POV) is that I tend to put my right arm across my chest and my left arm is aligned straight with my left eye (since i'm looking through the sights with my left eye). Been doing it since i was 8. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Halen said:

How do you go about testing for eye dominance? It's something I've been thinking about during my range time.

look at a small object 5 to 10 feet away. using your hands make a an opening where with both eyes open you can see just that object and everything else excluded from the field of view by your hands. then alternate closing one eye and then the other. moving or changing nothing else. the single eye view that matches both eyes open view tells you that is your dominant eye.

11 hours ago, shred said:

There are some very simple tests you can do anywhere.  I know they've been posted here, but the search function isn't working very well right now, so I'd pop into Google and ask.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

look at a small object 5 to 10 feet away. using your hands make a an opening where with both eyes open you can see just that object and everything else excluded from the field of view by your hands. then alternate closing one eye and then the other. moving or changing nothing else. the single eye view that matches both eyes open view tells you that is your dominant eye.

Thank you both for your input. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried... but I haven't tried hard enough....  so I failed. 

Of course I shoot both eyes open when shooting Open division,  Hell, that's the whole reason I bought an open gun, so I could get used to shooting with both eyes open and translate that to Iron sights, but I really can't do it... 

I've committed to both eyes open during dry fire for about a week... and failed.... and did it again a few months later... and failed.... 

I find it very difficult to shoot with both eyes open with iron sights...  but as can be read above, that's mostly because I'm not committed enough. 

So it's still one-eye-closed shooting for me, unfortunately.....

On 1/12/2022 at 6:29 AM, Stoneface86 said:

I shoot right handed but I’m left eye dominant. It took me 6 months to get comfortable shooting 2 eyes open at any distance.  I’ve improved quite a bit since using 2 eyes. 

I'm the same and have been thinking about drills to improve this as well. In @CClassForLife training thread he talks about improving eye capabilities. It's impressive stuff.

• 1 month later...

During the first lockdown (I'm in Europe, we had a few depending on country) I commited to "daily- semi daily" dryfire and decided I would seriously try the both eyes thing. I shoot singlestack an noticed I was slowing down more than needed for the intended shot. Stayed at it for about 2 months. 

I still get a ghostly image of my irons but I shoot with both eyes open, all distances, except for a very tight shot. My time to first shot has improved and I even got to shoot full target focus on easy to intermediate targets. I has really been my breakthrough since competing for 5 years.   

I really depends on where you are at shooting wise. It is a nice to have, but I would say fundamentals are way more important than this stuff. 

• 3 months later...

this is something that i need to learn to do as well. I am right handed but shoot left eye dominate currently. I mostly shoot 3 gun but wanting to get started in uspsa to work on my pistol skills as they are the weakest disciple that i feel i have right now. 

• 8 months later...

I am also left eye dominant and right handed (like Kwontonomo) and you make adjustments early on to compensate - I've shot with one eye closed forever to overcome this deficiency - have spoke with many and really never heard any better alternative (so far). I shoot my AR's and Shotguns as if I'm a Lefty - have hunted that way also.

• 2 months later...

I too have the curse of left eye dominant but right handed. I spent many months with scotch tape over the right side of my safety glasses to help with position and focus. 

Anything without magnification (as said above) I always keep both eyes open and have learned with muscle memory to shift my form to accommodate for this. 

As with anything, it just takes practice, but it has paid off greatly in my accuracy and speed.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...