Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHAT CAUSED THIS?! Blew Up My X5 Legion...

Solsand

4 minutes ago, Solsand said:

Good deal. Thanks. Quick question- no "scratched up coating exposing lead" because...? Once again, new to reloading.

Probably because it will leave lead in the barrel, not bad just a pain to clean out. Typically, coated bullets use a softer lead.

I would load them again and shoot them.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Probably because it will leave lead in the barrel, not bad just a pain to clean out. Typically, coated bullets use a softer lead.

I would load them again and shoot them.

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

I would reload those bullets and not worry about it.  A little exposed lead won't be an issue

Thanks again. I appreciate the help big time.

Some feel that if the coating is scratched off and there’s exposed lead they will leave lead in the barrel. While this is sorta true, it would have to be pretty bad, like a 1/8” strip down the side ect. Even then, there would have to be quite a few of them and if it’s on the taper or nose that doesn’t touch the lands/bore anyway. Even if you get some leading during practice or whenever you’re gonna clean your gun....Right?

8 hours ago, Solsand said:

Good deal. Thanks. Quick question- no "scratched up coating exposing lead" because...? Once again, new to reloading.

Coated bullets use either a Hitek or Polymer (to name a couple) to envelop the lead. This prevents leading of a barrel. You’ll get leading if this coating is removed or scratched exposing the lead.

6 hours ago, Why said:

Load em, I've shot plenty of lead, jacketed and coated bullets pulled with a collet die.

Glad you're not injured, sorry the repair bill will hurt a bit.

Thanks very much. In a way the cost is worth learning a valuable lesson.😑

For those keeping score, my first two batches of 100 each (loaded “single-press style”) were fine. Round #326 went kaboom! And I found two more double-charges in that batch. None in the 300 rounds since, with 100 left to go. Bullet pulling definitely sucks. 😑

On a related note, I’ve discovered two things during my bullet-pulling party. My Lee Auto Drum was spot on with Titegroup. Been pleasantly surprised at how accurate it has been. Secondly, I’ve noticed In some of my cases The powder is clumped and stuck to the sides. As a new reloader, I did what my friends said — 100rds in a large Tupperware dish, a full pump of One Shot, lid on and shake’em all up. I’m guessing the clumping and sticking is from the case lube, but I did let them dry before loading. Any problems with shooting the clumpy powder? 

For those keeping score, my first two batches of 100 each (loaded “single-press style”) were fine. Round #326 went kaboom! And I found two more double-charges in that batch. None in the 300 rounds since, with 100 left to go. Bullet pulling definitely sucks. [emoji58]

On a related note, I’ve discovered two things during my bullet-pulling party. My Lee Auto Drum was spot on with Titegroup. Been pleasantly surprised at how accurate it has been. Secondly, I’ve noticed In some of my cases The powder is clumped and stuck to the sides. As a new reloader, I did what my friends said — 100rds in a large Tupperware dish, a full pump of One Shot, lid on and shake’em all up. I’m guessing the clumping and sticking is from the case lube, but I did let them dry before loading. Any problems with shooting the clumpy powder? 

There’s no need to lube straight wall pistol cases. That clumpy powder could be a problem, at a minimum an inconsistent burn rate giving inconsistent velocities.
My recommendation is that you don’t live your 9mm cases any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Solsand said:

For those keeping score, my first two batches of 100 each (loaded “single-press style”) were fine. Round #326 went kaboom! And I found two more double-charges in that batch.

Thanks for being honest. It solves the mystery.

Anytime you have a jam, get distracted or have any sort of problem you need to stop and get back on track slowly. As you see, reloading is serious business.

Glad you came out of it without injury. Sometimes the hardest learned lessons stick with us the longest.

Good luck to you in the future.

10 hours ago, Solsand said:

a full pump of One Shot, lid on and shake’em all up.

I have not seen one shot case lube in a pump bottle.  It is usually in an aerosol can.  Are you using Hornady One Shot Case Lube, or one of Hornady's other One Shot branded cleaners/lubes?  I use the one shot case lube in a similar fashion as you, and I have seen a lot of people using it the same way as well.

I use case lube. It ends up making my elbow and shoulder hurt if I don’t for marathon loading sessions and the press runs so much smoother with lubed cases. I’d get a cheap cookie sheet and lay the cases on it to keep the spray lube on the outside of the case. A light spray on one side is all I try to accomplish.

Tightgroup is known to "clump" in normal use. Also in a high humidity environment this will be magnified.

About a year back this was discussed on hear. Some thought it was a lot issue. The clumps break up very easily.

This cost three local shooters barrels in there JP PCCs. They all were running very light loads. They all have switched to Sport Pistol powder.

Hornady one shot  needs about 20 min for the propellant to flash off.

3 hours ago, Grandmastah said:

I have not seen one shot case lube in a pump bottle.  It is usually in an aerosol can.  Are you using Hornady One Shot Case Lube, or one of Hornady's other One Shot branded cleaners/lubes?  I use the one shot case lube in a similar fashion as you, and I have seen a lot of people using it the same way as well.

@Grandmastah Apologies, poor choice of words. I give it one full "press" and then toss/flip them around in the plastic container with the lid on. It does say that it "will not contaminate powder or primers." 

1 shot.jpg

Edited by Solsand
grammar edit

3 hours ago, OdinIII said:

I use case lube. It ends up making my elbow and shoulder hurt if I don’t for marathon loading sessions and the press runs so much smoother with lubed cases. I’d get a cheap cookie sheet and lay the cases on it to keep the spray lube on the outside of the case. A light spray on one side is all I try to accomplish.

I'm really CHEAP !!!  I use paper towels...count out 100 cases....spray one side with ONE SHOT...lift paper towel using two corners and pour into tray for reloading.  I've even been known to reused the paper towels more than once...Hey...it's not toilet paper.

Edited by Batmo

5 hours ago, Solsand said:

@Grandmastah Apologies, poor choice of words. I give it one full "press" and then toss/flip them around in the plastic container with the lid on. It does say that it "will not contaminate powder or primers." 

1 shot.jpg

LOL.  Ok that is the right stuff.  I thought maybe you were using something like this:
image.png.fd013e921d99f5dc51c514aacfb42721.png

Clumping is pretty normal for quite a few powders. I’ve pulled some factory rounds that you almost needed a jackhammer to get it out of the case. 😀 I have a couple Lee powder measures and am pleased that they Do throw consistently. One other thing to try and do is be consistent with your movements while operating the press. Stop at the top and bottom with the same force or smoothness and try not to introduce extra tap’s or bumps along the way. Once you get into a good rhythm things will go easy and quickly but if there’s a hang up you’ll notice it right away.  

Edited by Farmer

This has saved my ass exactly three times. I hate giving up a station, but it's been worth gold.

https://www.rcbs.com/accessories/replacement-parts/lock-out-die/16-87540.html

I put a couple-hundred pieces of brass in a 2 gallon Ziploc bag, close it most of the way up, then stick the nozzle of the One Shot in. 

Seal the bag up then "mix it up". Let it sit a while and it's good to go. The bag method keeps the mess and the fumes to a minimum.

6 hours ago, lll Otto lll said:

I realize this thread has run it's course but I'm curious if the new grip module you bought fixed the gun. 

Yeah, I was pretty lucky. Tore the FCU down to the frame. Replaced my GG trigger kit components with all new springs. Checked out the barrel. Installed a new stainless extractor from Lone Wolf (old MIM was gone...), inspected striker and striker springs and put it all back together. Ran like a champ yesterday. No difference in feel or accuracy that I can tell. All in all came out better than I feared for sure

On 6/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, BentAero said:

This has saved my ass exactly three times. I hate giving up a station, but it's been worth gold.

https://www.rcbs.com/accessories/replacement-parts/lock-out-die/16-87540.html

I put a couple-hundred pieces of brass in a 2 gallon Ziploc bag, close it most of the way up, then stick the nozzle of the One Shot in. 

Seal the bag up then "mix it up". Let it sit a while and it's good to go. The bag method keeps the mess and the fumes to a minimum.

Been considering this option for sure. I just bought 1000 147gr FP Precision Bullets and the recommend against using Lee FCD because they say it will swage their Bullets. So, I think I’m going to replace that with the RCBS lockout die just after powder drop. We’ll see...