Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Blue Bullet load data and Sig X5 Legion

TexasShootR

Going to start shooting Carry Optic Division but first I need some help with load data. I will be shooting 147gn  Blue Bullets out of the Sig P320 X5 Legion. 

Have a few powders on hand, VV3N38, VV N320, IMR 4756 and IMR SR 7625. Blue Bullets suggest loading for the lead bullets. Not finding any data for loading lead bullets on any of the listed powders that I have. Also for any of my powders listed the recommended charge for the XTP bullets won't make minor power factor (less than 850FPS). I did find one post here at BE where they use 3.3gn of VV N320 @ 1.125 but he had a short throat on a production gun. Would anyone shooting BB and a Legion care to share their load data? 

Thanks

On 6/20/2020 at 3:00 PM, 36873687 said:

3.2 to 3.3 n320 will get ya there

Thanks,  36873687

147gn Blue Bullets

3.3gn VV N320

COL 1.135

String one, 10 rounds AV 898, ES 20, SD 6

String two, 10 rounds AV 900, ES 55. SD 15

Power Factor 132

Overall, recoil was very manageable. Very little muzzle dip. Accuracy good.

Second that on the poor Accuracy with 147 gr bullets out of my Legion X5. This is a common theme in regards to 147 gr bullets from a couple of shooters I trust. Using Alliant Sport Pistol, I Shot 147 gr, 135 gr, ands 125 gr bullets with similar PF of about 130, the 147 gr were not very accurate. I shot three groups of each bullet weight at 10 yds off a bench. Alll three 147 gr bullet groups were the size of a grapefruit with 2 fliers outside of that group for each group.  I would say the fliers were shooter related vs ammo/gun, but two fliers were consistent in every group.  The three groups of 137 gr bullets produced groups about the size of a softball, no fliers. The three groups of 124 gr bullets produced groups about the size of a golf ball with no fliers. With sport Pistol, my load for 147 gr Gallant Group bullets were 3.2 gr of Sport Pistoll with an OAL, OF 1.125.  That gave me a PF of around. 130, at an altitude of 5280 ft. I’m not saying you will have issues with 147 gr bullets out of your X5, but if you feel you are having some accuracy issues, you might want to test different weights of bullets. 

9 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I shot three groups of each bullet weight at 10 yds off a bench. Alll three 147 gr bullet groups were the size of a grapefruit with 2 fliers outside of that group for each group.

You did all these at 10 yards from a bench? 

Have you tried .357" 

In rifles the twist rate has a lot to do with heavier bullet accuracy maybe the Legion's rifling has been changed?

Here's a link to another thread here on the same subject:

14 hours ago, HesedTech said:

You did all these at 10 yards from a bench? 

Yes.  Needless to say I was surprised by the group size. It is possible it’s something I am doing during reloading that is causing this grouping size being that I have limited experience in reloading.

Have you tried .357" 

I will have to verify.

I have used Gallant and Ibejihead 147 gr with similar results.

In rifles the twist rate has a lot to do with heavier bullet accuracy maybe the Legion's rifling has been changed?

I am am actually using X5 barrels in my X5 Legions to get rid of the LCI but barrel issue the first Legions came with. I have done some more digging and it would seem the barrels without the LCI cut are noticeably more accurate. I.e. X5 are more accurate then X5 Legions.  I am not sure if the rifling in the X5s is different than the X5 Legions. 

Im still trying to find the most accurate load possible with these Legions. Have not found it yet.