Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I buy a 627 cylinder?

ysrracer

• 2 weeks later...

So here's what I learned:

If your 627 cylinder is cut for 9mm, Revolver Supply 929 moon clips will work.

TK 929 moon clips need the "ears" between the chambers "relieved"

204.jpeg

I also learned it's simply not worth having a 627 cylinder cut for 9mm.

Factory 9mm ammo is not designed for revolvers, and doesn't work very well. If you're going to reload, you might as well reload .38 short colt and be done with it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I also learned Revolver Supply moon clips don't work very well with a BMT mooner, even with the adapter ring.

If you want to use a BMT mooner (and you do) TK moon clips are the way to go.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

anyone here know where I can get a 627 cylinder? I want to try fitting one to my 929

thanks!

N

You can shoot 38 short colt in a 929 with no issues, you have to use the 627 moon clips.  It swells the base of the case slightly more but sizes back down.  Probably shortens case life a little.  A lot cheaper than a new cylinder though.

8 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

You can shoot 38 short colt in a 929 with no issues, you have to use the 627 moon clips.  It swells the base of the case slightly more but sizes back down.  Probably shortens case life a little.  A lot cheaper than a new cylinder though.

I thought once you shoot short colt in a 929, they can no longer fit a 627? Anyone verify this?

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

I thought once you shoot short colt in a 929, they can no longer fit a 627? Anyone verify this?

Fit mine.  I fired about 40 rounds of 38 short colt through a buddies 929 while writing an article for Front Sight.  I've since loaded them on my 1050 at least twice and shot them through my 627 Pro & PC without issues.  I've kept them segregated as I'm curious too about their life and haven't used them in any matches.  Practice only so far and have put them aside for the season.

They didn't give me any problems with moon clips or during reloads.

Being a close friend of Murphy? I don't plan on using them in matches.  And I have no idea what will happen if they were to be shot multiple times through a 929.

I have a 627 that I had set up for 38 super cylinder and .357 cylinder. The .357 cylinder had to be cut down to the same length as the 38 super. Can no longer shoot.357 but it will handle 38 special. Both cylinders work with the same yoke and both are timed perfect. The custom barrel I have on it is a .356. 
Now for the rest of the story. I bought 38 Super brass and dies and to this day the revolver has only seen 38 Short Colt. I have never fired one round of 38 Super through it. It was a cool idea and relatively cheap when I had it done (Pinnacle Custom) a few years back. Could never bring myself to try 38 Super as the revolver with 38 Short Colt will hold at 2” at 50 yds. This was needed back in the day when Far and Near Standards was a known stage that was going to be at the IRC. 
So my 2 cents on this save your money and spend it on some other toy. 😁

36 minutes ago, revoman said:

Needed that type of accuracy for F&N Standards. Best score at IRC was 15 and if I remember right that is why Hogue made the Big Butt Grips for the 50 yard prone position 

Your best? Or the best? 15 is a good number. 

12 hours ago, revoman said:

My best and I think either Vic Picket or Jerry M shot a 2

That is really exceptional, obviously.  Congratulations on that.   I used to obsess over this and new all the bests and what years they were shot.   A single digit score on F&N at the match is extremely rare, sub 20 is also very rare but there were a handful of people every year that pulled that out.

My personal best practicing this(to the exclusion of all other forms of practice during like 2012-14 era) was an 8 and my best at the match(my only top 10 overall) was 2014 with a 20 on F&N and I only made top 10 because of that stage.   

Looking back i would do so many things differently, its hard to believe that was 10 years ago now...

Rich has zero'd this stage in practice multiple times apparently.   Its doable so long as you can clean the 50 and 25 yd lines which is no joke.  I never could clean the 50 and 25 and would always choke 1 or 2 at the 10 yd line.

Edited by testosterone

2 hours ago, testosterone said:

That is really exceptional, obviously.  Congratulations on that.   I used to obsess over this and new all the bests and what years they were shot.   A single digit score on F&N at the match is extremely rare, sub 20 is also very rare but there were a handful of people every year that pulled that out.

My personal best practicing this(to the exclusion of all other forms of practice during like 2012-14 era) was an 8 and my best at the match(my only top 10 overall) was 2014 with a 20 on F&N and I only made top 10 because of that stage.   

Looking back i would do so many things differently, its hard to believe that was 10 years ago now...

Rich has zero'd this stage in practice multiple times apparently.   Its doable so long as you can clean the 50 and 25 yd lines which is no joke.  I never could clean the 50 and 25 and would always choke 1 or 2 at the 10 yd line.

It’s been a minute since we talked about this stage. You spent more time on it than anyone I think other than Jerry. 

So if memory serves me correctly- Jerry did a few 5-7s with the clock on I believe. He zeroed it the year they removed the time limit, but that’s to be expected- over half the field posted a single digit that year.

After that I think the people to go single digit can be counted in one hand- Rich, Neil, Vic, Dale Harris and Frank Bray each snuck one in. Tough stage. 

10 minutes ago, MWP said:

It’s been a minute since we talked about this stage. You spent more time on it than anyone I think other than Jerry. 

So if memory serves me correctly- Jerry did a few 5-7s with the clock on I believe. He zeroed it the year they removed the time limit, but that’s to be expected- over half the field posted a single digit that year.

After that I think the people to go single digit can be counted in one hand- Rich, Neil, Vic, Dale Harris and Frank Bray each snuck one in. Tough stage. 

I did spend alot of time and ammo on it.   My living room is 10 yards, I had the array of 6 setup,  I dry fired the 10 and 3 yd strings 1000's and 1000's of times, and then had the scale targets for 25/50, going prone over and over and over.

Your list looks right to me, you are only missing Pat who did it more than once and Derek Zevada as I recall.