Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking of replacing the barrel of my SBR. When I filled out my Form 1, long time ago, I put 9 inches in the space for the length of the barrel. Currently, I have a 10.5 barrel installed in it with a KX3-PIG Flash Hider, which has at least 3.28" length.

My question is, if I replaced my barrel with a 7.5" and then pin and weld the KX3, which would theoretically (imo) makes the barrel length over what I put in Form 1, which is 9".  Am I still in compliant?

Thank you!

BASTi

Keep that dead 10.5 around. Replace it with whatever length you want because you still have the 10.5 on hand to take it back to the original length on your form 1.

But, 7.5s kinda suck because the recoil is harsh and they are really loud.  11.5 -12.5 is about the best all around 223 SBR length for me.  I only have a 7.5 for full-auto fireball fun.

16 minutes ago, Tom Freeman said:

Keep that dead 10.5 around. Replace it with whatever length you want because you still have the 10.5 on hand to take it back to the original length on your form 1.

But, 7.5s kinda suck because the recoil is harsh and they are really loud.  11.5 -12.5 is about the best all around 223 SBR length for me.  I only have a 7.5 for full-auto fireball fun.

Thanks for the info @Tom Freeman!!!

But, I have 9" barrel length written in my Form 1. Doing the math 7.5 " + 3.28", is way pass 9", would pinning and welding make it legal and compliant?

Why do i have keep the 10.5 barrel?

You can send a letter to ATF to change the length of record for your SBR.

The rifle can actually be any length. You just need to readily be able to return it to the configuration that's marked on the Form 1 or 4. Basically, have an upper on hand that's a 9" barrel.

So, either way, you aren't technically not in compliance.

Is anyone ever going to care? Not likely, but it's your gat.

11 hours ago, BASTi.GWAPo said:

Why do i have keep the 10.5 barrel?

A barrel change is not a permanent change unless you can not get back to the config on your form 1.

Put whatever barrel on it that you want, but keep the 10.5 unless you want to notify the BATFE of a change.

Put whatever length you want on there. Once its built as a registered SBR it doesn't matter if you change it to a different length. There is no legal requirement to notify them if its changed. Nor is there a law against changing it. Its still an SBR. You certainly can notify them if you wish, same thing if you change calibers. Thats also not required, but if it makes you feel better, write them a letter.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, mpeltier said:

Put whatever length you want on there. Once its built as a registered SBR it doesn't matter if you change it to a different length. There is no legal requirement to notify them if its changed. Nor is there a law against changing it. Its still an SBR. You certainly can notify them if you wish, same thing if you change calibers. Thats also not required, but if it makes you feel better, write them a letter.

Thank you, this is good to know!

Thank you!

Thank you!

On 6/20/2020 at 9:13 AM, Tom Freeman said:

A barrel change is not a permanent change unless you can not get back to the config on your form 1.

Put whatever barrel on it that you want, but keep the 10.5 unless you want to notify the BATFE of a change.

👌

On 6/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, SV650Squid said:

You can send a letter to ATF to change the length of record for your SBR.

The rifle can actually be any length. You just need to readily be able to return it to the configuration that's marked on the Form 1 or 4. Basically, have an upper on hand that's a 9" barrel.

So, either way, you aren't technically not in compliance.

Is anyone ever going to care? Not likely, but it's your gat.

👍