Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the secret to IDPA shooting?

Tango

18 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I disagree.  The emphasis on new shooters is just as great in USPSA.

I've not seen anyone sweep a group of shooters at a USPSA match. This is not a criticism of USPSA, but a complement.

Then standing behind instead of to the side will serve you better than asking.  I don't want a loaded pistol pointed at me any more than you do.

Yes, we do that too. Its just a cultural thing. Like how at least once in a match to a late paster still downrange  I'll hold the shooter and shout out "SHOOTER MAKE READY!"  #dadsojokes

Edited by Zincwarrior

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowdy. Those were great questions you posed in your last post. I think both USPSA and IDPA treat new shooters well. But, in California at least, many people who take a ccw course or a new shooters class will be directed to IDPA because it's described as based more on self defense and supposedly real world shooting. Then later they may try USPSA. But sometimes it depends on which matches are more prevalent in their area.

IDPA Master class is way wider than USPSA top classes. This doesn't mean or imply anything about the shooters, just that a bottom IDPA Master is likely about B class USPSA, while the top IDPA masters are usually also USPSA GM-s. Again, it doesn't say anything about the skill level, it's just how wide the brackets are. 

As for the level of an *average* shooter, I would defer that to those who shoot both often enough. At my local range, IDPA guys usually move to USPSA and USPSA guys don't move to IDPA. They would still shoot the other discipline on occasion, but the only permanent changes I've seen are from IDPA to USPSA. 

I've never been quite clear where the animosity comes from, though. There are so many local matches that are neither USPSA nor IDPA and at pretty much any of those matches I would run into a bunch of friends just shooting for fun. Nobody is making any excuses or trying to put down a match that is not sanctioned or looking down on people who participate. Quite the opposite, it's always fun to have completely different scoring system and to have to adapt to a different match format. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing this for a quick minute and have found shooting is shooting. As others have stated, I have also found that generally speaking USPSA shooters are better shooters overall. There are exceptions but the way the game is played USPSA simply makes you a better shooter faster, IMO. I shoot both and have drifted to IDPA over the years simply for the ease of being able to shoot more big matches without burning a lot of PTO. It did hurt my USPSA game significantly. That's probably why I have been trying to get in more USPSA. lol

Ultimately both are great avenues to increase one's proficiency with a handgun. Be kind and welcome new shooters to either sport, it can only grow the community and spread the desire to maintain and fight for our 2A rights. IMO 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 11:15 PM, synchronicity said:

I shoot IDPA because I choose to shoot a 45acp revolver.  I tried USPSA,

but it seemed kind of pointless.

Agree that IDPA is tailor made for normal, commonplace revolvers.

So is ICORE but the nearest match is almost 2.5 hrs away and conflicts with a much closer USPSA match