Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you like to see more and less of at the matches you attend?

RJH

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Unfortunately we have a lot of those ROs. I wish thats how it worked here, with multiple people agreeing on it. Especially for level 1 club matches.

Sounds like your area is in need of an RO course. Have any of the MD's thought about getting a class?

I'm sure I'll get roasted for this...but it sounds like the OP should shoot more IDPA. 😀

I like stages with options.  It was already said but I like matches with stages that are different.  A buddy recently watched my match vid (gopro) and thought It was on loop because every stage looked the same.  Drop turners and disappearing targets are cool too, don't see them much in USPSA around me.

7 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

I'm sure I'll get roasted for this...but it sounds like the OP should shoot more IDPA. 😀

As the OP I am strongly offended at that statement 🙂

IDPA sucks.  But never testing longer distance shooting and strong/weak hand and kneeling/prone in field courses kinda sucks too.  I am not really complaining about my local matches, but an occasional prone or 50 yarder in a field course would be welcome to me, I am sure others feel different.  And like i said, I don't care anything about seeing those shots at every match, but once a year or so would be fun.  

At our local match we just shot a stage where the entire stage had to be shot weak hand/side. It was only about 10 targets, but you had to move some too. That was a nice change of pace.

9 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

I like stages with options.  It was already said but I like matches with stages that are different.  A buddy recently watched my match vid (gopro) and thought It was on loop because every stage looked the same.  Drop turners and disappearing targets are cool too, don't see them much in USPSA around me.

I've been shooting USPSA for like 6 years, I can probably count the number of disappearing targets I've seen on my hand. At the club level matches I'm pretty sure I've only seen one once.

Now you mentioned IDPA, my local 5 stage club match will sometimes use more moving targets then I'll see at a 12 stage Area match. And at the state level matches you'll see even more. 

I live in Area 3, so there’s definitely a trend towards hoser and 32 round courses, although some clubs locally are better than others. 

I think I enjoy a good 20 round COF better than 2 generic 32 rounders. 

outside of some things already mentioned I'd like to see less arguing with the RO/scorekeeper on things.  Last few matches ive seen several shooters argue things like the 180 line being crossed, sweeping themselves, arguing hole placement and stuff like that.   When 5 people see you do something, dont argue it!    Had a shooter break the 180 by at least 15-20 degrees and get huffy and quit the match (not dq'd mind you).  another swept himself at the elbow level and wanted to argue it.  about once every 4 or 5 matches i have one of those "dud, really?" moments.  I dont get it.

11 minutes ago, sax422 said:

Had a shooter break the 180 by at least 15-20 degrees and get huffy and quit the match (not dq'd mind you). 

Not DQed? USPSA match? What was shooter huffy about then?

1 hour ago, sax422 said:

outside of some things already mentioned I'd like to see less arguing with the RO/scorekeeper on things.  Last few matches ive seen several shooters argue things like the 180 line being crossed, sweeping themselves, arguing hole placement and stuff like that.   When 5 people see you do something, dont argue it!    Had a shooter break the 180 by at least 15-20 degrees and get huffy and quit the match (not dq'd mind you).  another swept himself at the elbow level and wanted to argue it.  about once every 4 or 5 matches i have one of those "dud, really?" moments.  I dont get it.

Wait, he wasn't DQ'd for something he should of been DQ'd for so he got mad and left. I guess he kind of made the right call.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:12 PM, Sarge said:

Not DQed? USPSA match? What was shooter huffy about then?

On 7/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, Racinready300ex said:

Wait, he wasn't DQ'd for something he should of been DQ'd for so he got mad and left. I guess he kind of made the right call.

correct.  shooter was grumpy about being called for something he was sure he did not do.   extreme example I know but why argue about stuff?  not like we have money on the line.   all in all though i do this because i have fun and have met some nice people.  to me its worth the putz's.  

cheers all.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, sax422 said:

correct.  shooter was grumpy about being called for something he was sure he did not do.   extreme example I know but why argue about stuff?  not like we have money on the line.   all in all though i do this because i have fun and have met some nice people.  to me its worth the putz's.  

cheers all.

I do understand people getting upset, and even wanting to argue a point if they don't agree with what ever the call is. The key is to remain professional, and not let emotion take over. I've seen a few guys get really heated to the point the RM was about to toss them for their conduct. That's not okay.

There really is money on the line in a sense. I don't even want to think about how much money I spend on this game a year, between gear, and 15-20k rounds of ammo, plus club memberships to train, and uspsa membership, my time spent at the loading bench, and dry firing everyday, then match fee's and hotel stays, taking of work to travel. I might not be able to win any money, but there still a lot of time and money invested. It all depends on your level of participation I guess.

39 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I do understand people getting upset, and even wanting to argue a point if they don't agree with what ever the call is. The key is to remain professional, and not let emotion take over. I've seen a few guys get really heated to the point the RM was about to toss them for their conduct. That's not okay.

It can be a growth thing. Someone invests a whole lot of time & money & pride into competing their best and then gets busted for something they do not feel is right, it hurts. Been there, acted like a butt hole, not proud of it. 

Encouraging everyone to read the rule book, encouraging new r.o.'s to never call a penalty for what they THINK they saw, and enforcing the rules strictly and consistently at local matches, all seems to help. 

I play MD at a very small club.   Our matches are 5 stages at most.  I like to design stages and work to make them challenging as well as varied.  

But I am far from the world's greatest stage designer.  :) I'm always looking for input from other shooters on stage design.

So, that's my "want more of."  More input from other shooters for better stages.  

38 minutes ago, NETim said:

I play MD at a very small club.   Our matches are 5 stages at most.  I like to design stages and work to make them challenging as well as varied.  

But I am far from the world's greatest stage designer.  :) I'm always looking for input from other shooters on stage design.

So, that's my "want more of."  More input from other shooters for better stages.  

Do you shoot any major matches? Does any of your regulars? Majors are a great place to get idea's of what people are doing. Even just traveling to clubs out of your normal area might give you a different flavor and get the wheels turning. 

At level 2 and above matches you will run across more long range targets. Western States SS match always has the standards stage that starts at 50 yards. I've seen stages that ended with a couple of poppers pretty far out there. More movers usually too. 

On 7/9/2020 at 7:10 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I've been shooting USPSA for like 6 years, I can probably count the number of disappearing targets I've seen on my hand. At the club level matches I'm pretty sure I've only seen one once.

that's funny,  we have had a disappearing target in each of the last 3 matches at my club 

On 7/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, 45 Raven said:

Less:  Range lawyers

More:  Contestants helping with taping, setting up steel, and picking up brass

LOL at range lawyers. I play one as devil's advocate at my range where I co-MD/RM. I'd rather make a fuss at design/build time than deal with an actual "range lawyer" in the middle of a match and have delays, pissed off shooters or worse yet a tossed stage.

"No one will ever do that" is how you get in trouble....

9 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Do you shoot any major matches? Does any of your regulars? Majors are a great place to get idea's of what people are doing. Even just traveling to clubs out of your normal area might give you a different flavor and get the wheels turning. 

I get to major matches occasionally.   Not like I should though.   But I agree big matches are a good source for stage ideas.

14 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

that's funny,  we have had a disappearing target in each of the last 3 matches at my club 

It's amazing how different the game can be in different areas. I know at least one guy locally who designs stages for a couple clubs, and he said he doesn't see the point of disappearing targets. So those clubs it's pretty unlikely you'll ever see one.

6 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

It's amazing how different the game can be in different areas. I know at least one guy locally who designs stages for a couple clubs, and he said he doesn't see the point of disappearing targets. So those clubs it's pretty unlikely you'll ever see one.

They can have a lot of value but they need to be presented in a way to make more than just the top shooters shoot at them. I used some once in a level two that were on a really neat mover device. Two targets with a no shoot between them. They were so fast nobody shot at them all weekend! LOL Now when I put them on that device I put a port in the wall where it rests. The port is usually far far away from the last shooting position and very low. This makes them non disappearing and crazy not to shoot at them on the move.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

They can have a lot of value but they need to be presented in a way to make more than just the top shooters shoot at them. I used some once in a level two that were on a really neat mover device. Two targets with a no shoot between them. They were so fast nobody shot at them all weekend! LOL Now when I put them on that device I put a port in the wall where it rests. The port is usually far far away from the last shooting position and very low. This makes them non disappearing and crazy not to shoot at them on the move.

I actually find the less-skilled shooters are more likely to shoot at a poorly designed disappearing target. The better shooters are good at math, and if they can't be pretty certain the target will increase their HF, they ignore it. In general, on a high HF stage, it's very rare for me to engage a disappearing target, but if M and GM shooters are getting HF's in the 4-6 range, it can start to look pretty tempting, even with a little risk (like a no-shoot or something).

I like your strategy of making them available from somewhere really inconvenient so they can non-disappearing. Something Sherwyn would do in A3.

Edited by motosapiens

More:
IPSC targets

near to far transitions or vice versa

distance between shooting positions

Fewer:

close mutli target arrays that can be hosed without sights - make it a plate rack instead if you have the space

shooting positions within a step or two of the previous

Reading back over this list it sounds like I want to be rewarded for shooting slower but moving quickly.

17 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I actually find the less-skilled shooters are more likely to shoot at a poorly designed disappearing target. The better shooters are good at math, and if they can't be pretty certain the target will increase their HF, they ignore it. In general, on a high HF stage, it's very rare for me to engage a disappearing target, but if M and GM shooters are getting HF's in the 4-6 range, it can start to look pretty tempting, even with a little risk (like a no-shoot or something).

I like your strategy of making them available from somewhere really inconvenient so they can non-disappearing. Something Sherwyn would do in A3.

I find the math problem to be a interesting part of the challenge. The few times I've seen them in club matches they generate a lot of debate. But that really depends how the variables you mentioned.