Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you like to see more and less of at the matches you attend?

RJH

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

At about 69.5, I totally agree with Mike. Also, he showed some amazing tact for the internet. "seasoned shooters" :cheers:

one of the things I love about this sport is that we get to have shooters that run from pre teen all the way to seasoned enough to be wearing a emergency call button and beginner to world class all mixed together

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, SOME running is good, just not too much. As long as practically every stage is not a mini obstacle course, I'm fine. A good mix is what is desired, IMO.

I'm not trying to make the sports all alike. But they don't have to be polar opposites either.

1 minute ago, egd5 said:

Like I said, SOME running is good, just not too much. As long as practically every stage is not a mini obstacle course, I'm fine. A good mix is what is desired, IMO.

I'm not trying to make the sports all alike. But they don't have to be polar opposites either.

It also goes to a philosophy difference.  It is an action shooting sport. Where you put the emphasis between action and shooting means a lot.

54 minutes ago, egd5 said:

A good mix is what is desired

to me this is the key to a great match. 

best match I ever put together the top 3 shooters were all 100% sure they lost, because there was enough diversity to find each of their weaknesses. 

Less low-port shooting from an awkward position near the ground. Those turn into a gymnastics event, penalizing us old geezers with bad knees. I'm there to shoot and have fun, not pull a muscle. 🤣

More stages that can be shot two or three different ways/strategies. It's great to have options...

2 hours ago, BentAero said:

Less low-port shooting from an awkward position near the ground. Those turn into a gymnastics event, penalizing us old geezers with bad knees. I'm there to shoot and have fun, not pull a muscle. 🤣

More stages that can be shot two or three different ways/strategies. It's great to have options...

^^^^Amen Brother

19 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

Like to see more RO's willing to help run shooters.

Ha! We usually have too many and I have to fight for the brick. This last weekend I was on a squad with only 2 certified ROs and three brand new shooters. Since it was L1, one of the more experienced shooters got some OJT. 

2 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Ha! We usually have too many and I have to fight for the brick. This last weekend I was on a squad with only 2 certified ROs and three brand new shooters. Since it was L1, one of the more experienced shooters got some OJT. 

That's a good problem to have!

More = Creative and Realistic Stage designs that test a wide range of skills. People willing to roll up their sleeves and get to work on match day to help make it all happen.

Less = Follow the leader stages. People whining about things when they are not willing to be part of the solution. General laziness of match staff. Do the job right or don't do the job.

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I don't really care if people are 'willing'. I just make people do it.

I may try that - I'm thinking that on a 12 person squad no one should have to RO more than 3 or 4 shooters.

14 hours ago, davidb72 said:

I may try that - I'm thinking that on a 12 person squad no one should have to RO more than 3 or 4 shooters.

yeah, i prefer to split it up with 3 different folks who can RO, and if we are spread around the shooting order, it goes pretty smooth. We are fortunate to have some motivated folks in our area, so there has been lots of encouragement and peer-pressure to take RO classes. Most of the time people I shoot with are proactive, and when the RO or scorekeeper is 3-4 shooters down, someone else will come take over without being asked.

Last match 2 of us split the RO duties because we were separated by the right amount, and there was still plenty of time to get my game on.

I wouldn't mind seeing fewer arrays comprised of 2 "no shoot sandwiches" next to each other. Fortunately they don't appear too often where I go. I guess it's a bit of a pet peeve.

Edited by Rez805
Autocorrect.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:52 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

i want to add one more thing

specifically designated ROs who do not shoot the match.  

Its annoying to just have any random joe pick up the timer and be RO for a stage and then you catch a DQ because he thinks he saw something, but in reality is not qualified to make the call. 

That's quite a demand. How much are you willing to pay for a match?

Edited by TonytheTiger

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

...id go to 50 a match....maybe it would weed out the less desirables gating it by money 😃 

I think you will find that qualified RO's dedicated to a stage will significantly *increase* the chances of you getting dq'd, just sayin'.....

29 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I think you will find that qualified RO's dedicated to a stage will significantly *increase* the chances of you getting dq'd, just sayin'.....

if its a fair dq for doing something stupid then i get it. but idiots who pick up the timer for the first time and want to know what it feels like to give a dq need to go

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

if its a fair dq for doing something stupid then i get it. but idiots who pick up the timer for the first time and want to know what it feels like to give a dq need to go

In 10+ years I have never met one of those. Good, mediocre and poor RO’s sure. But never one who was out to DQ shooters

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

In 10+ years I have never met one of those. Good, mediocre and poor RO’s sure. But never one who was out to DQ shooters

same here, never once seen it. at locals we generally don't call a dq unless multiple people can agree on it, or unless the RO is 110% certain of what was seen. Everyone else on the squad is watching the shooter too, so if a newb RO made a bad call, it would almost certainly be reversed.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

same here, never once seen it. at locals we generally don't call a dq unless multiple people can agree on it, or unless the RO is 110% certain of what was seen. Everyone else on the squad is watching the shooter too, so if a newb RO made a bad call, it would almost certainly be reversed.

Unfortunately we have a lot of those ROs. I wish thats how it worked here, with multiple people agreeing on it. Especially for level 1 club matches.

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Unfortunately we have a lot of those ROs. I wish thats how it worked here, with multiple people agreeing on it. Especially for level 1 club matches.

If there's something I don't like, I generally try to fix it.

are you RO-certified?