Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you like to see more and less of at the matches you attend?


RJH
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I have a similar list to the OP, and I also like stages with options, so I just put that stuff into stages that I design. Here's an example from sunday's match. You can go around or under the barriers. You can shoot one-handed with the weight, or you can set it down and shoot with both hands. many targets available from multiple spots, etc... 

 

Did the WSB state you could go under the sticks or did you just let people discover it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Did the WSB state you could go under the sticks or did you just let people discover it?

 

I stated it. it didn't really look  like a traditional cooper tunnel, so I thought it would be wiser and fairer and more fun to make it obvious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USPSA overwhelming favors being tall.   The struggle of having if being tall makes doing _____ more difficult is trivial... if it takes you a second longer than short guy.. you gain that back 10 fold on your ability to lean around something to shoot a target.  

 

There needs to be less stages where someone has a HUGE bay and they elect to use it by placing a shooting area with a super easy target... 10-15 yds up range from the rest of the stage which is super close hoser stuff.  You've effectively turned the stage into a 'who can run the best and hose' stage (Which I'm 100% ok with as I can move and hose) but you've also wasted the ability to put long distance shots, wide transitions, etc. 

 

Need to have more no shoots/partials strategically placed as to interrupt an array... no shoot on a hoser array, partial on the target you're most likely to aggressively enter in on.   Shots that require open shooters to think about sight over bore on close shots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

Not sure about that one. Height and weight work against quickness, length works against stability. 


What? 

 

If we are talking from a pure physical standpoint yes, but what you said above does not apply to USPSA from a time on a stage standpoint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

i guess we need reparations for the little people, like max michel.

 

LOLOL.  I would not call Max short.

 

Either way... things that are 'low' everyone has to squat/get down into.  Being tall gives you a longer stride, ability lean around stuff, as well as easier to shoot over things(half walls with low targets behind them).  You see far more hard leans in matches than you do low ports that are below squatting level.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our stage design rules really hinder us as it relates to short field courses.

 

I'd love to see us adopt ipsc stage design rules. But not 3-2-1 rule.

 

Because a 6-12 round field course with lots of movement/several positions can be far more interesting than a 32 rounder.

 

I'd love a provision that says the WSB on individual stages can mandate remaining inside the fault lines.

 

More over the top swingers. Tougher movers. Move movers in general.

 

Fewer stars and circus props.

 

More distance in general.

 

Less hosing.

 

More ipsc targets.

 

More running/athleticism challenges. Tunnels, ladders, platforms, towers, etc.

 

Basically I would love to combine the best parts of ipsc with the best parts of USPSA.

 

Our course design has grown very vanilla, and frankly, a bit stale. There are only so many times and so many configurations you can arrange such that everyone runs to X, Y, and Z positions, standing upright the whole time, on one plane.

 

We need a new (old?) standard that isn't afraid to acknowledge that everyone is not going to be able to address this challenge, or series of challenges, and be okay with that. The sport should be taxing and challenging in ways that may make you uncomfortable from time to time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is like the monthly “we should change production div”. 
 

Not everyone’s ideas are good ones. Which is purely opinion but everyone has one. So, no way we’re ever going to end up with something that everyone loves 100%.  There’s always gonna be something you don’t like. 
 

Vote with your feet. 

Edited by B_RAD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wtturn said:

Our stage design rules really hinder us as it relates to short field courses.

 

I'd love to see us adopt ipsc stage design rules. But not 3-2-1 rule.

 

Because a 6-12 round field course with lots of movement/several positions can be far more interesting than a 32 rounder.

 

I'd love a provision that says the WSB on individual stages can mandate remaining inside the fault lines.

 

More over the top swingers. Tougher movers. Move movers in general.

 

Fewer stars and circus props.

 

More distance in general.

 

Less hosing.

 

More ipsc targets.

 

More running/athleticism challenges. Tunnels, ladders, platforms, towers, etc.

 

Basically I would love to combine the best parts of ipsc with the best parts of USPSA.

 

Our course design has grown very vanilla, and frankly, a bit stale. There are only so many times and so many configurations you can arrange such that everyone runs to X, Y, and Z positions, standing upright the whole time, on one plane.

 

We need a new (old?) standard that isn't afraid to acknowledge that everyone is not going to be able to address this challenge, or series of challenges, and be okay with that. The sport should be taxing and challenging in ways that may make you uncomfortable from time to time.

I certainly don't mind a tough match, but keep in mind your audience when you start adding ladders, platforms, tunnels, & towers. Probably 50% of the shooters at the 6 or so matches in our area are plus 50 & many over 60 years old.  They are the week to week & month to month guys who support these matches. Movers, & all are great, but seem to always malfunction at one point and can clog up the squads. Not against, just notice this. Distance is good to a point. Running & moving in general is good cause based on age & ability you can do it at your own pace. A healthy mix of all makes a great match and being lucky here we have several MD's that accomplish this.

 

gerritm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 70 and still lucky enough to move around, just not as fast. Some movement is good. It's challenging and keeps us healthy too. But too much running and having to get real low, etc. will just force a good number of people to IDPA where you do very little moving and shooting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, egd5 said:

I'm 70 and still lucky enough to move around, just not as fast. Some movement is good. It's challenging and keeps us healthy too. But too much running and having to get real low, etc. will just force a good number of people to IDPA where you do very little moving and shooting.

 

I don't see a problem with that. I don't see any reason to change any sport to make it appeal more to the elderly. One of the things I did in my mid-50's was give up racing motorcycles.

 

But as a borderline elderly person myself (59 this summer), I do always try to put in options to avoid physically challenging stuff that aren't too punitive. In the stage I posted above, you could run around the barriers instead of under, giving up an extra second or two at most. If I have a prone position, I make the targets available  from elsewhere (usually 2 different positions to get them all). Etc....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, wtturn said:

sport should be taxing and challenging in ways that may make you uncomfortable from time to time.

 

I'm your huckleberry, lol. We always have 1 stage at the Hawktech 1911 match that has a fairly ridiculous amount of running. Usually a fat guy who can shoot well wins it tho.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

 

I'm your huckleberry, lol. We always have 1 stage at the Hawktech 1911 match that has a fairly ridiculous amount of running. Usually a fat guy who can shoot well wins it tho.

 

looks fun but rough on the RO's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, fishhunter3 said:

looks fun but rough on the RO's

We thought of that when building the stage. Embedded RO's, and we take turn RO-ing, so everyone gets to run a few times. And the steel positions allow the RO to catch up at a leisurely pace. This year's version is going to have low hurdles and go-under barriers (that you will be able to take the long way around if desired), and go up a natural terrain canyon trail. No spinners tho. they are stupid for matches imho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i want to add one more thing

 

specifically designated ROs who do not shoot the match.  

Its annoying to just have any random joe pick up the timer and be RO for a stage and then you catch a DQ because he thinks he saw something, but in reality is not qualified to make the call. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, egd5 said:

I'm 70 and still lucky enough to move around, just not as fast. Some movement is good. It's challenging and keeps us healthy too. But too much running and having to get real low, etc. will just force a good number of people to IDPA where you do very little moving and shooting.

Sorry but I don't see that as a bad thing,  There many different shooting sports and there needs to be differentiation between them, and shooters are free to choose the ones that fit them best, making the different sports more similar so shooters don't feel the need to shoot the others is a fools errand,  the differences are what makes the sports what they are. 

 

Don't add movement to Steel challenge to make it more like USPSA don't take the movement out of USPSA to make it more like IDPA don't raise the round count on IDPA to make it more like USPSA  etc, etc

 

I say this as a MD who is known for running challenging matches, our last match sold out in 6 min. and we have many seasoned shooters. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

Sorry but I don't see that as a bad thing,  There many different shooting sports and there needs to be differentiation between them, and shooters are free to choose the ones that fit them best, making the different sports more similar so shooters don't feel the need to shoot the others is a fools errand,  the differences are what makes the sports what they are. 

 

Don't add movement to Steel challenge to make it more like USPSA don't take the movement out of USPSA to make it more like IDPA don't raise the round count on IDPA to make it more like USPSA  etc, etc

 

I say this as a MD who is known for running challenging matches, our last match sold out in 6 min. and we have many seasoned shooters. 

 

At about 69.5, I totally agree with Mike. Also, he showed some amazing tact for the internet. "seasoned shooters" :cheers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...