Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you like to see more and less of at the matches you attend?

RJH

like to see more and less of at the matches you attend?  Lets keep this stage design/shooting challenge oriented, and not worry about water on the bays and stuff like that

I would like to see more:

Distance shots from 30-50 yards 

Strong/weak hand only 

Prone/kneeling

We generally only have strong and weak hand shooting and targets at distance in classifiers now.  And the last time i remember having to shoot prone was several years ago.  I don't think we should do all that at every match, but a couple of times a year would be ok with me

I am really not sure of anything i would like to see less of, the more variance the better IMO.  

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerome,

For clarity, I edited the title from, "What would you..."

Please keep in mind the following pointer from the Forum Guidelines"

Thread Titles
When starting a new thread, please use descriptive words in the thread’s Title. For example: Use –
"Failure To Extract in .40 caliber single stack"
Instead of –
"Has anyone seen this?" (Title)

Thanks.

I've been building stages with more movement and less shooting, longer shots on partials, mid range shots that are tight presentation and similar. I've been to too many 3-4 pack stages and hoser stages the past year. 

Unloaded starts, gun on table unloaded starts, all ammo from barrels type stages can be fun too. Strong/weak hand stages that are not string based I have yet to run into. I think that is a lot for the ROs to remember to catch when the last 6 shots are required to be S/W handed.

We have a couple small bays that really limit what can be done. Typically, classifiers wind up there. I had a brain storm thinking "how about standards with movement". I did the stage below. Start in the middle and first string was one round on each, mandatory reload, one round strong hand. Second string was the same with weak hand for the last 6 shots. I got a lot of feedback, most of which was polite. 😉 Many folks said that they had never had to move strong and weak hand exercises. I was kind and kept the long shots full targets.

image.png.e83754b9611ad1476b6a4509d6723364.png

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Many folks said that they had never had to move strong and weak hand exercises. I was kind and kept the long shots full targets.

Wuss!

Just kidding, how many people trashed that stage by going too fast?  How many trashed it by going too slow?  How many just plain trashed it?

We used to have a local stage groaner, oops builder, that would do stuff like 45 yard weak hand plate rack through an 8 inch diameter pipe mounted 6 inches off the ground during the rainy season.

44 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Jerome,

For clarity, I edited the title from, "What would you..."

Please keep in mind the following pointer from the Forum Guidelines"

Thread Titles
When starting a new thread, please use descriptive words in the thread’s Title. For example: Use –
"Failure To Extract in .40 caliber single stack"
Instead of –
"Has anyone seen this?" (Title)

Thanks.

Thanks, i either forgot or didn't read that rule 🙂

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We have a couple small bays that really limit what can be done. Typically, classifiers wind up there. I had a brain storm thinking "how about standards with movement". I did the stage below. Start in the middle and first string was one round on each, mandatory reload, one round strong hand. Second string was the same with weak hand for the last 6 shots. I got a lot of feedback, most of which was polite. 😉 Many folks said that they had never had to move strong and weak hand exercises. I was kind and kept the long shots full targets.

image.png.e83754b9611ad1476b6a4509d6723364.png

That is an interesting idea, i like it. 

12 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Wuss!

Just kidding, how many people trashed that stage by going too fast?  How many trashed it by going too slow?  How many just plain trashed it?

We used to have a local stage groaner, oops builder, that would do stuff like 45 yard weak hand plate rack through an 8 inch diameter pipe mounted 6 inches off the ground during the rainy season.

Some struggled! Our club has a lot of new and inexperienced shooters. doing 30 to 50 yard shots just isn't going to work and from a customer standpoint I just wouldn't do it to them! I have found that a strategically-placed tuxedo or 8 inch plate can trip up the most seasoned shooter. Besides, 50 yard targets would drive the reset time through the roof, especially during hot weather!

Less Virginia Count anything. By "less" I mean "zero". Stupid idea that needs to die.

ETA: 50 yard weak hand and other ridiculous nonsense is why I shoot less and less USPSA these days, and when I do I bring a PCC. If USPSA stage designers present us with rifle problems, don't be surprised when more and more folks bring a rifle.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

12 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Less Virginia Count anything. By "less" I mean "zero". Stupid idea that needs to die.

ETA: 50 yard weak hand and other ridiculous nonsense is why I shoot less and less USPSA these days, and when I do I bring a PCC. If USPSA stage designers present us with rifle problems, don't be surprised if more and more folks bring a rifle.

I still shoot a ton of USPSA, but I completely agree with the rest.  

48 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

ETA: 50 yard weak hand and other ridiculous nonsense is why I shoot less and less USPSA these days, and when I do I bring a PCC. If USPSA stage designers present us with rifle problems, don't be surprised when more and more folks bring a rifle.

I wouldn't want 50 yard one hand either, but 50 yard freestyle i would like to see on occasion.  My OP makes that a bit fuzzy, haha.  

Less of:

Starting late. Sunday matches. People afraid of the scoring pad. Repetitive/predictable stages.

More of:

Starting exactly on time. Saturday USPSA matches. Legal equipment and its position. Getting my brass back.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Less of:

Starting late. Sunday matches. People afraid of the scoring pad. Repetitive/predictable stages.

More of:

Starting exactly on time. Saturday USPSA matches. Legal equipment and its position. Getting my brass back.

Did you read the op? 🙂

it doesn't appear so, so please read it and try again.  I am actually really interested in your thoughts 👍

7 hours ago, RJH said:

Did you read the op? 🙂

it doesn't appear so, so please read it and try again.  I am actually really interested in your thoughts 👍

He answered your question as you worded it.  I agree with most of what he said as far as what I want.

I'd like to see a mix of short and medium length stages with one or two mega stages.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Less of:

More of:

lf you're better at building your stages you start on time. i've been to plenty of places that build an entire match that is good in 1 hour. and they do it day of, Saturday morning. Build stages from 7am to 8am, 8am to 9am clean up and registration. Shooting starts at 9. So stages, the OP's thing, can have a spill over effect into the stuff I mentioned. Hahahaha.

The only thing I guess I wrote that was true to the OP is I want less repetition. I do not prefer to go to matches that are unrelentingly the same thing. All hoser. All partials. All tons of walls. All just a bunch of shooting boxes. In the past I could seriously tell you with 80% accuracy what would be in any given bay at certain club matches I was going to. In some cases that was good as they stages were varied. At other places not so much.

There really isn't anything I don't mind in small bits. Need to hold a rope to hang around a wall edge to shoot one handed at a small piece of steel? OK, done it. But don't make it every stage. A whole match of head shots? Seen that to, ugh. So there isn't really any specific thing I'm yearning to see more or less of, it is just a generality. Saturday matches (HA, had to get that in again) and overall variety. When a local has 4 or 5 stages all strongly of the same flavor I do sigh a little bit. When 4 out of 6 stages are symmetrical, yuck. When 4 out of 6 stages are left to right, yuck. When 4 out of 6 stages are move from box A to box B to box C, yuck. When 4 out of 6 stages have a legality issue, yuck.

Now to go from my opinion, worth what you paid for it, to fixing it? Clubs I've seen without this problem have a couple things in common. A. They have 1 person in each bay who knows what a legal and safe stage should look like and is in charge of the actual construction. Each bay. So if you have 6 bays for you match you need 6 people who can be trusted. B. I've seen locals that have good, varied stages come up with them in various ways. They have one designer who does all the stages ahead of time and very clearly does them in sketch up in multiple views and with a total equipment list so that the guy/gal in A can do their work. Also I've seen it where 1-6 people just do whatever comes to mind, free styling it on the spot, that morning. This isn't as reliable or quick, but I have seen it work. And finally C, place that build stages with variety have their equipment for stages well organized. Making it easy to get popper, mover, walls and such to stages. By managing their materials well they make using them easier and more likely.

Basically good, thoughtful people with exposure to other matches, clubs, resources make good stages. So again, there isn't any one specific shooting skill I want to see less or more of. Bring them all on, but in doing so don't bring one on over and over and over again.

14 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

skimmed it quickly, so not enough evidently. i won't take it personally.

Haha, was hoping to see the shooting aspects/stage design that people want to see more or less of, not match management etc. 

Really would like to hear your thoughts though. I know you are a very good shooter and your opinions on this are looked forward to. 

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

not match management etc. 

I guess at this stage and my personality match management does matter to me more than the stage elements. I far far remember longer those aspects than, match management, than I do actual stages. After you've shot over a dozen different area matches, over a dozen nats, over a dozen different state matches and club matches in 8 different states you've seen almost everything.

I would love to see more short and medium courses that are interesting and are not classifiers, Virginia count, standards, speed shoots, etc. 

Basically, I like stages that still have movement, multiple positions, etc. but aren’t all 30+ rounds. 

At the most recent match I shot (KY Sectional), there was an 18 round stage and a 16 round stage that both featured movement and at least 2 positions each, plus one stand and shoot stage that required 8 rounds and was also fun. 

OK, I apologize for my stream of conscious posting.

Less: Standing reloads. All open targets. High ports or walls to shoot over.

More: IPSC targets, distant steel, moving targets, fast swingers, shooting on the move.

Less table reloads

Less distance shots

Less weak hand

Less no shoots

Less swingers

Less Virginia count

Less low ports

Less Starting at 10am or later

Less PCC

More run and gun

More starting at 9a or earlier

More 6 or 7 stage matches

More Steel

More High Ports

I recently shot a stage with 28 rds, was fun to load up my big stick and finish with 1 rd left