Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First machine recommendation

I reload 9mm for consistency of ammo I shoot.

Your idea on waiting till you know what division you will be settling in is a smart one.  If you do plan on shooting competitions with any consistency, this negates and cost/benefit discussion in regards to buying versus reloading 9mm if the division you wish to shoot is 9mm in my humble opinion.  I shoot PCC and Carry Optics.  I was content with buying ammo for both until you couldn't find the same ammo (ammo with the same Power Factor) on a consistent basis for an acceptable price.  That was before COVID.  Its impossible to find the same ammo with the same PF on a consistent basis at any reasonable price after COVID.  For me this was the deciding factor on reloading 9mm.  That and my load for PCC is slightly different for PCC and the X5 for Carry Optics.  

If you are going to shoot once a month and really treat competitions as a hobby and results are not a driving factor, I wouldn't reload 9mm.  Just stock up and keep a reserve for when times get lean.

If you want to compete and get better, I cannot see how you can rely on over the counter ammo and shoot consistent results in matches.  I found shooting ammo with differing PF created different point of impact with shots at distance.  Something to also keep in mind to check zero every time you change ammo. 

I can't imagine shooting this sport without my Dillon 1050.  Not saying you need a Dillon or a 1050.  I also find reloading at times a bit relaxing, as long as I keep my ammo stock up.  Not really a fan of reloading the night before a match.  Also if you decide to reload, create a stock of reloading components.  Ammo is not the only thing that became scarce after COVID hit.  Primers, powder and bullets while not impossible to find became much harder to find.  

Again this is all personal experience and opinions I thought I would share, that may save you time and effort in the future. 

Good luck on whatever you decide.