Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 or 627...decisions

Jory45acp

I'm asking this question for those who have experience with these 2 pistols, having hindsight which would you choose if you start over?? I'm not currently competitive in Revolver. I have several 9mm handguns, several .38/.357 Smith Revolvers. I do all my own reloading and do not buy factory ammo with the exception of rimfire. I will never be a serious Revolver competitor, that being said I'm looking to try something new to change the scenery if you will. I would buy either of these having read previous forums with the understanding they will both need attention by my gunsmith. I am not at all concerned about the gunsmithing side of things. My curiosity is in reloading headaches, performance differences, any of those annoyances that you tolerate because its the only option out there. If you could go back and start anew which would you pick any why? I appreciate all the feedback, and thank you in advance.

OIP.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faced with the same question I bought the 929. To get that gun to work without leading and throwing curve balls I finally took my revolver smiths advice (I can be stubborn) and started running .358 diameter coated bullets. Whatever you buy you may find that quality control is not what it should be, but it seems like Smith and Ruger will both make things right eventually, providing you do not have your revolver set up for competition before sending it to them for repair - that can be ugly. 

After getting past the leading issues, the only reason I know of to suggest 1 or the other might be moon clips and finding a clip/brass combination that holds firm enough, costs a reasonable amount (929 clips seem to run 4.50 - 8.50 each) and is not a huge pain to moon/demoon. When one of the smart revolver guys gets to this thread (I am just a hacker) it will be interesting to hear if either cartridge has a reloading advantage on the clock. 

If I was starting from scratch I'd pass on the 929 and either go with the 627 or more likely a Ruger GP100. I weak hand reload and have screwed up 2 cranes on the smiths, for my purposes I'm better off with the more robust Ruger than the better achievable trigger pull on the Smiths. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I have both a 929 and a 627, both five inch guns (I had the 929 shorted by a tractor mechanic in Phoenix).

That being said, I'd go with a 929. And check your barrel, mine is .357. Reloads are much quicker on the 929.

I'm learning if you want to shoot a 627 you need to load .38 short colt.

Otherwise, they're basically the same gun.

IMG_20200213_203726941.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

Comparing your 2 pistols do you think the 929 requires more "gunsmithing" to make it run correctly and reliably vs a new 627? Also if you take the speed of reloading out of the equation does that change your answer? Sorry if those sound like oddball questions.

3 hours ago, Jory45acp said:

Comparing your 2 pistols do you think the 929 requires more "gunsmithing" to make it run correctly and reliably vs a new 627?

No, it's pretty much the same gun, except in 9mm and a goofy useless comp.

I am one of the lucky ones, according to the internet, I got a 929, and out of the box was not awful. Light stoning and springs kit got a useable trigger. I used moons from George, I can never remember the website, but he is local to me, something like revolver supply company, and I want to say .40, but maybe .35, and with those I use mixed brass successfully. Early on I broke a firing pin, but after replacement it's been solid. No regrets.

I have a lot of revolvers, but this is my only one that takes moons.

Jason

This very subject was the one that brought me here to the Enos universe. I ended up with a 627 since I wanted to load the same rounds as my 66. Wrong. As stated above, if you shoot competitively, Short Colt is the way to go which is a effectively rimmed 9.

If I had to do it over, I’d probably buy the 929, send it to TK and be done.

8 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

This very subject was the one that brought me here to the Enos universe. I ended up with a 627 since I wanted to load the same rounds as my 66. Wrong. As stated above, if you shoot competitively, Short Colt is the way to go which is a effectively rimmed 9.

If I had to do it over, I’d probably buy the 929, send it to TK and be done.

Thank you for that response! That kind of first hand experience and information is exactly what I am looking to hear to help me make the best decision possible. And your experience will help save maybe not only myself but any others pondering this from wasting time, money and frustration. I've read what I can on this forum and a few others, I've watched videos as best as I can find them but nothing tops first hand knowledge and experience.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Either one will probably take a little work, to a lot? 

Either one will have a preference on loads, so development will be needed.  That's half the fun though.

It boils down to:

1) Do you like longer barrels?  5" vs 6"  the longer the barrel the less powder used, longer sight radius is a bit more accurate but also is a bit more to swing on transitions.

2) Get  quality moon clips that hold a particular brand of brass tight, that makes for better/quicker reloads.

3) You will be well served in buying one brand of brass for either and use it.  In 38 Short Colt you don't have a lot of choice.  In 9mm you won't be as effective if you mix range brass, or even multiple brands of brass, in reloads in your Revolver.  Since you get your brass back that is not as big an issue as a semi-auto.

I've watched a friend shoot his 929's one with a comp, one without in competition (RO'd him so I was at a very good angle).  And at times it seemed there was a very slight reduction, other times I just couldn't see it.  Which leads me to believe it's not particularly effective and his grip/stance was slightly different between them.

4) The comp on the 929, like the V Comp 627 is retained by a pass through bolt.  That bolt can loosen & when it does it will degrade accuracy.

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

I have both. The 627 is a great gun but the 929 is a whole nother class above on pointablity, handling, accuracy and easy to load for. 929 any day

What makes it a class above? My 627’s will run circles around any 929’s and it is multi caliber and duplicates 9mm with short colt. The barrels on both are.357 and both are N frame. The biggest difference is the titanium cylinder and in my opinion and it is just my opinion the titanium cylinder is over rated. Me I would go with the 627 everyday and not look back. 

I’m not understanding the point of multi calibers?  I have zero desire to shoot 357 so that leaves 38spc and 38SC, both which can achieved by 9mm at much lower cost.  How many of us have safe fulls of “fun” guns in myriad of calibers that don’t see the light of day?

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’m not understanding the point of multi calibers?  I have zero desire to shoot 357 so that leaves 38spc and 38SC, both which can achieved by 9mm at much lower cost.  How many of us have safe fulls of “fun” guns in myriad of calibers that don’t see the light of day?

Well let’s not forget the 38 long colt in the multi calibers. As far as cost yes the nine is cheaper and if that is what you are set up for by all means get a 9mm. When people talk about cost savings between 9mm and 38 short colt I do have to snicker 🤭 a little as they just laid out anywhere from $1000 to $1200 for a revolver and then dropped another $500 to a $1000 into moon clips, trigger work and whatever else is deemed needed. But they are worried about the cost between 9mm brass and 38 short colt brass. Which by the way you will probably never have to buy 38 short colt again as you get all your brass back and unless you are doing something wrong the brass never goes bad. Maybe an occasional split case but not much more. Out of the the original 1000 short colt I purchased I am still well over 950 that I still reload and probably have cycled more than 20 times and probably a lot more. So to me that is like buying a Ferrari and then try to find the cheapest fuel you can find to put in it. 
To the original OP on this thread buy which one you fancy most load and shoot and have fun. It sounds like you are set up to reload either. ✌🏻

8 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’m not understanding the point of multi calibers?  

I've been known to shoot mouse fart 40's in my 10mm and then throw in a hot 10 now and then to mess with the safety officer :)  (4" IDPA gun).

Otherwise, I think it is more an average Joe thing than a competition shooter thing. Joe likes a soft shooting range toy that is viable for self defense or deer hunting. 

12 hours ago, Bill H said:

I have both. The 627 is a great gun but the 929 is a whole nother class above on pointablity, handling, accuracy and easy to load for. 929 any day

9 hours ago, revoman said:

What makes it a class above? My 627’s will run circles around any 929’s

Once you decide what barrel length you prefer aren't they both basically exactly the same gun? 

25 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I've been known to shoot mouse fart 40's in my 10mm and then throw in a hot 10 now and then to mess with the safety officer :)  (4" IDPA gun).

Otherwise, I think it is more an average Joe thing than a competition shooter thing. Joe likes a soft shooting range toy that is viable for self defense or deer hunting

Joe Canuck can't do either. Well the former will land you with police charges and the latter definitely not with a revo!

2 hours ago, revoman said:

. Out of the the original 1000 short colt I purchased I am still well over 950 that I still reload and probably have cycled more than 20 times and probably a lot more.

In your case sure, we shoot too much so I would need 5-6k right of the bat and I don't get how you guys 627 reload consistently with those paper thin moonclips.  Sure you can get TK  SS but those are a premium item.  DAA .040" moons are my mainstay.  I'm already up to 10 loadings on my original blazer stash.

I did have to leave 600-800 loaded rounds at the IRC in 2018 after being told to "bring lots" lol.  I've also left brass behind to make weight on flights, no biggie.  It would bug the s--t out of me if I had to leave sc behind!

To each their own.

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Joe Canuck can't do either. Well the former will land you with police charges and the latter definitely not with a revo!

I don't know why you would not wish to deer hunt with an accurate revolver of sufficient caliber, certainly less of a challenge than bow hunting. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I don't know why you would not wish to deer hunt with an accurate revolver of sufficient caliber, certainly less of a challenge than bow hunting. 

Because it’s totally illegal.  Handguns can only be shot on approved ranges, not even your own property if you got some.

Where do you think your northern states got their wacked out gun laws from? From your friendly neighbours  to the north.