Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RL1100 automation

Finally had the chance to automate the Dillon RL1100, after experiencing the pure joy of not using the hand crank on the Mark7 Evo press I couldn’t refuse to automate the Dillon. 

Also, I upgraded the Dillon tool head to On Point MFG tool head which provides you with an additional station for more versatility. 

Waiting on Dillon/Ammobot to come out with their new sensors that will also work with the MK7 auto drive. MK7 sensors are ridiculously pricey! By the time you add the MK7 sensors on both press it’ll cost you just about the price of another press or auto drive unit. 

Dillon will be used to process brass and also load 9mm minor the MK7 Evo press will be used strictly for load 9mm major. 

I should’ve gotten into reloading years ago, just thinking about all of the commercial ammo I’ve purchased throughout the years on the notion that it wasn’t worth the investment. Boy was I ever so wrong 🤦‍♂️ If you’re a competitive shooter, or general firearms enthusiast reloading is where is at! 

Also, if can be therapeutic too 😉

08D415C4-0DFC-4EEE-87B0-870E2605D14A.jpeg

9 minutes ago, mioduz said:

Curious if you think think the mark 7 is worth the premium cost that is associated with it since they are next to each other

They both have their pros and cons to be honest.  Dillon is more affordable, it has more aftermarket support for upgraded components and parts, etc.  Whereas Mark7 doesn't!  Mark7 it's better built, more robust, better primer assembly system.  Mark7 improved what Dillon hasn't if that makes any sense?  But like I stated prior, both presses are good for whats needed.  They'll get the job done!  

I do wish that Dillon would improve their primer assembly system make it more robust, and better engineered as the Mark7.  But Dillon focuses on simplicity for the end user and of course, price. 

IMO if I had to do it all over again, I would go the Dillon route due to what I mentioned above~ Dillon has the finances to make their product even better, but I think that they don't because they want to make their products super affordable for reloaders.  But that's just me thinking outside of the box, both press have their pros and cons~  It all boils down to personal prefence, budget and pricing. 

Dillon has been around for decades whereas Mark7 hasn't~ IMO Mark7 is better engineered, designed and built but Dillon is no slacker too! 

13 hours ago, SpartanArmament said:

Bro did you have to modify your OP Toolhead? I just got my processing Toolhead from them and it won’t slide onto the Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you torque it down and correctly aligned the tool head? Personally, I didn't have any issues so that's strange... Contact OP and see what they can do, I will be using the OP to load and the stock Dillon toolhead to process brass in the future but for now I prefer to purchased processed, one headstamp brass. The amount of time it takes me to process my own brass at the end its not worth it or cost effective.  I enjoy don't get me wrong, but time is money...  

22 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

I'm assuming you're referring to the Evo press?  Lee U die~ 

I meant the on the OP tool head.  I'm not sure what I'd do with an extra station before the powder drop, and I wouldn't put the powder over the priming station. I guess I don't see the value of an extra station on the Dillon in that location.

I use a U die as my backing die for the swage rod. Its pretty easy since the Lee dies use 1/8in NPT thread to hold the decapping rod.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, belus said:

What die do you put over the priming station?

For 9mm I have a Lyman M die or an MBF funnel in a Lee Universal Expanding die.

Then the Dillon universal pistol actuator funnel in the powder measure. Just activates the measure; no flaring.