Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded rounds won't drop into the cylinder of my 627 (with a picture)

ysrracer

I clean the gun thoroughly, and the loaded moon clips drop in the cylinder effortlessly. I even test drop them in my TK "loaded moon clip checker test cylinder thingy", and again they're fine.

However, after I fire the gun, the next moon clip with loaded ammo which previously dropped in, now gets hung up. If I push it in with my thumb and eject it a few times, it goes back to dropping right in.

It's got to be unburned powder. I'm using .38 special loads.

Anybody else have this problem?

IMG_20200614_144520982.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

I have seen something similar with sub minor loads using WST in .38 Super. Almost as though there wasn’t a good enough seal to keep blowback around the brass. This was 158gr cast LRN and Starline brass, 2.6gr WST at 1.250” OAL. Once I raised the velocity over 800 fps it went away. 

Lee

4 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

My loads do also, just thought it odd and not a real issue.

Why are you worried about putting already shot moon clips back in your gun ?

No, these are loaded shells, not fired ones.

30 minutes ago, Tom Freeman said:

Maybe you need a little more crimp.

The case could be acting like a scraper going into a dirty chamber.

Just guessing.

Nope, it's got to be the powder. They're crimped pretty well. I don't get any "bullet pull".

If you don't see any powder granules you might try a Taper Crimp Die.  Sometimes a Roll Crimp can bulge the case enough to hang up.  Especially if you are using brass that has different OAL's.  Taper Crimp is more forgiving on that.  IF that turns out to be the case, then you may need less Roll Crimping.

How do they case gauge individually ?

Causes:

You are not sizing them all the way down while reloading.

You are not crimping them enough and the case mouth is still slightly belled

Your cylinder is so filthy inside it's preventing it to go from the cylinder chamber into the throat.

Bent Moonclip

Less likely causes.

You're throats are out of round.

The bullets you are using are too large for the cylinder

Edited by alecmc

Everyone should read what he is saying. He test fits a clip, shoots other rounds then tries reinstalling the original clip but can’t. This isn’t a problem with the dimensions of the clip, it is something occurring while shooting.

you might try marking the cylinder and the round or trying all 8 orientations. It is unlikely but possible, you are not putting the same rounds into the same holes and there is a minor tolerance stack. 

any chance you have a gage pin set?

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

1 hour ago, RevolverJockey said:

This isn’t a problem with the dimensions of the clip, it is something occurring while shooting.

Yes, I'm just not sure how to explain it.

I'll check five moon clips, and they all drop in.

I'll fire one moon clip, then the other four moon clips THAT PREVIOUSLY DROPPED IN, now bind up.

It's got to be powder in the cylinder. 

What powder and charge weight ?

i use to use 231 a lot and when the powder crunch came few years ago,all I could find was Nitro 100NF and god it was awful.

left a lot of unburnt  powder in cylinder . Used most of it for practice only since I had to brush the cylinder after 18 rounds. .

Got some Tightgroupe and while dirty it burned hot and the cylinder stayed pretty flake free..

What bullet too?  I've had some Moly Coated Bullets of questionable quality years ago that did something similar.

You can usually see bits of powder if that's it and a quick blow into the holes usually clear it.

If it's bullet and/or powder leaving a soot like caking it will take a brush to clean it out.

I've had good luck with Poly Coated Bullets from ACME, Bayou, Precision, BBI, Blue Bullets & MBC with Clays/ClayDot & Titegroup in 38 Short Colts.  Titegroup can give you problems if you go too light on the pressures, and that is easier to do in a 38 Special case for sure.  Clays/ClayDot seem to have a lower threshold though.

Does it do it with Plated or Jacketed too?

1 hour ago, Mover480 said:

If you use a chamber brush on the cylinder after you shoot, do they then drop in?

Yes, but I can't brush the cylinder after every reload in a match. That would add 30 seconds to every stage.

1 hour ago, revoman said:

What powder are you using 

I went to the range today. It only happens with AA#5. Factory, AA#2, and Herco were all fine. 

I'm going to stick with AA#2, soft shooting and clean.

Thanks guys