Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best MOA Dot for USPSA.

So my prescription glasses are bifocals with the lowers set for the dot and the upper portion set for distance(target). I've been shooting with tape over the dot to force my brain /eyes to to mix the two images, my transitions seem faster with the target focus. So the glasses have sharpened both far and near vision.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, bludog said:

So my prescription glasses are bifocals with the lowers set for the dot and the upper portion set for distance(target). I've been shooting with tape over the dot to force my brain /eyes to to mix the two images, my transitions seem faster with the target focus. So the glasses have sharpened both far and near vision.

The optics of the sight focus the dot at "infinity". Your distance prescription would be the correct choice for both eyes. I had glasses made where I could change my dominate eye lens to closer focus for iron sights and distant for the dot. With both distant, you should have no issues "mixing" the two images.

9 hours ago, bludog said:

oof.

What chuck said. When you shoot a dot you look at the targets. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have dots on a number of different pistols. RMR with 3.25 MOA

Holosun with 2 MOA

Deltapoint with 7.5 MOA triangle 

SRO with 5 MOA 

For competition, my favorite is the SRO, probably because of the window size. The dot size for USPSA prob does not make a very big difference. You can effectively use any of the above mentioned sizes. Just comes down to personal preference. 

After recently switching to 5 / 6 MOA dots for pistols I have made the following observations.

After using SRO/ RMR with 2.5, 5.0 and 3.25 MOA dots to Sig Romeo 3 Max and XL optics with 3.0 and 6.0 MOA dots, I have grown to appreciate the 5.0 and 6.0 MOA dots the most for pistol.  I find the 5.0 and 6.0 MOA dots are crisper and tracking the dot easier when firing multiple shots.  I also have an astigmatism and found the smaller dots bloom a little more for whatever reason.  I cannot see a scenario where any benefit would come from using a dot bigger than 6 MOA, for pistol applications in dynamic shooting sports.  Especially for shots at distance.

I also find the RDS with larger windows are superior to smaller widow RDS for numerous reasons, many of which have already been discussed in this thread.  Obviously if the glass is large enough to keep the dot in the viewable area of the glass during recoil, that makes follow up shots quicker. 

Fishing for the dot is a matter of training.  Mostly done through dry fire as discussed before.  The big thing with this type of training is, it does not end with the draw.  Loosing the dot during a course of fire is common especially at odd angles.  Make a note of when you loose your dot, i.e. what angle or what shooting position your body/arms/head were in when you lost the dot, and make it a point to train on indexing the gun when in that specific position.  If I am walking a stage at a major and I see a a shooting position that requires my body to be in awkward positions, I make a note of it and will dry fire train in that position(s) when I get home, or back to my room that night before that match starts.  This is obviously hard to do at locals or at a match where you are shooting right after you walk a stage.  I am far from perfect and will still fish for the dot from time to time, but it is becoming less and less as I train in these awkward positions, and shoot using a dot in general.

I think dot size becomes a personal preference after using multiple dot sizes as many things do when it comes to these dynamic shooting sports.  If possible shoot others guns with different dot sizes before making your purchase.  Do not just look through the RDS and think that is enough to make a decision.  Actually fire the gun if possible.  I would also try to shoot the optics on guns that are similar to what you are going to use in competition.  From reading various forums, open shooters seem to love larger MOA dots, and CO shooters seem to like medium to smaller MOA dots.  Just a personal observation from the limited data on reading forums and asking local shooters.  Not sure why that is, maybe something to do with scoring and/or recoil of the gun.  People are pretty open to sharing their rigs with anyone willing to ask, so my advice is shooting as many dot sizes as you can before buying.  If you do find you have an issue, some dots hold their value better than others and it might be wise to understand which have greater resale value before purchasing a dot where you are not 100% certain it is the correct size.  

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Those of you who are slower with a dot are using it incorrectly. 

Focusing on the dot instead of on the target, trying to see the world through the optic instead of looking past/around it, and not finding the dot on the draw (clear sign of a poor index) are not the dot's fault but yours.

Putting a piece of opaque tape over the front side of the lens and trying to shoot with a dot that way will show you how good or bad you really are.

This is a great idea.  I am definitely going to try this out.  I have been trying to find a SRO in 5 MOA for a good price for a while now, but they are hard to find right now.  My first pistol red dot was a vortex viper, which I like.  Upgraded to an RMR in 1 MOA, which works fine as well, but I find my target transitions are a little bit slower than with irons.  Bought a holosun with the acss reticle, which I really like as well and helped speed up transition times, but have never thought of doing this.  It will definitely be trying this out.  Thanks for the good info!

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 5 MOA SRO.  Never turn it off and it adjusts to light automatically.  I have it on a 1911, 22/45, & my Leadstar PCC!

I can also see my dot and 5 MOA works for me!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/4/2022 at 8:40 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I have astigmatism (what's left over that my glasses can't correct) and I find that the larger the dot the crisper and sharper it is.

I suffer from the same, the smaller the dot the more fuzzy and stary it appears. 6 seems to be the smallest I can see clearly. 8 - 10 work best though. But Im a SC shooter not a uspsa one.  

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

I suffer from the same, the smaller the dot the more fuzzy and stary it appears. 6 seems to be the smallest I can see clearly. 8 - 10 work best though. But Im a SC shooter not a uspsa one.  

A friend of mine has a C-More RTS 10 moa on his Open gun.  It was amazing.  Wish Trijicon would offer at least an 8 moa in the SRO

• 3 months later...

I run a 10MOA RTS2 on my open gun. I like that it’s large & crisp. I run it on a lower brightness setting if the stage has long (25yd+) targets. I had an 8MOA on my last open gun & I really like the larger 10 dot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Never ran the rmr but I do run SRO. I prefer the 2.5 moa over the 5 moa which most people seem to use. I find I can be more accurate with the 2.5 especially while moving and shooting. For longer shots 25yd+ I find the 2.5 much better and for all close up stage the 2.5 could be turned up and slightly starbursted to be same size as 5

• 1 month later...

I went the cheap but unlimited warranty route as I am just a C shooter in Carry Optics and do not invest a lot of time in it. However, I started with a Viper 6 MOA and liked it a lot but found some good deals on Venom's 3 MOA and liked how you can adjust them different from the Viper and how you didn't have to take the optic off to change the battery. 

6 moa razor on the open gun

5 moa SRO on the carry optics gun

6 moa DPP on my backup carry optics gun

Easy to pick up in all lighting and can dim it down for overcast if I need to.

3 moa is awesome.  I find 6 to be too big on tight partials or targets with a lot of distance.  You want to see any streaking or movement in the sights clearly with plenty of space on the target to see it.  You can turn a 3 up bright and it's like a dim 6moa, but you cannot turn a 6 down to act like a 3 on far shots or mini steel.  Be warned, there is too low of a birghtness on a 3 Moa that will make you hunt for the dot and focus on it rather than staying target focus, but keep it bright enough.  3moa for ipsc/uspsa, steel challenge go 6 or 8.  CS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

For most USPSA applications, I am a big fan of 6 MOA which I find to be a good compromise for accuracy on those stages where they throw a 35-40 yard popper out there at a nationals, but be large/bright enough for fast acquisitions. There is still the occasional outdoor stage in the early morning where you will battle with some washout, but by-in-large its a good compromise. For SCSA I generally like a larger 8 MOA configuration as this seems to allow for decent target acquisition and is well rounded for brightness when you are shooting at different venues. This makes the Cmore Railway an ideal choice for me as I hjave the flexabilty to swap out the modules from match to match.   

This thread really surprises me. For the longest time I’ve always heard the smaller dot is superior. 
I’ve always liked the 6 moa and just ignored what others said, thinking I was in the minority. 
Guess I wasn’t so wrong after all.